Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:26 AM   #126
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post
Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.
It's a big-ass screen. What new form factor would you want? Black plastic?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:28 AM   #127
boy-better-know
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK-MacAddict View Post

I like the new design. All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc. Apple need to step up the quality control of their products because its been ****** in recent years.
You're exactly right. This is what I have been worried about. I can accept a yellow tint on my iPhone ipad or macbook (which i have to varying degrees on each). But not on an iMac. I expect the screem to be perfect this time. This isn't an iToy. Hopefully the individual calibration that Schiller spoke about will cut out QC issues.
boy-better-know is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:30 AM   #128
edermorisset45
macrumors newbie

You can order the new iMac at Macmall.com
edermorisset45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:33 AM   #129
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoketetsu View Post
The same design but with no chin and less of a bump in the back because it doesn't need to house hardware would look great.
A new iMac without hardware?
That would look maaaaaaaaahvelous.
Need lots of adapters to hook up all the external bits, though.
Bubba Satori is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:34 AM   #130
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You can order the new iMac at Macmall.com
Yes you can if added options are of no concern to you.

SSD drive? Fusion Drive? Don't see it.
NJRonbo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:35 AM   #131
edermorisset45
macrumors newbie

Shop All CategoriesCreative ProBusiness Resource CenterRetail Stores

Apple 21.5" iMac Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory, Two Thunderbolt ports, Apple Wireless Keyboard and Magic Mouse, Ships with OS X Mountain Lion (NEWIMACDUMMY1)

Overview
Technical Specs
Questions & Answers
No Reviews | Add Review
Share Today!

Overview
Quad-Core Intel Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 SDRAM, 1TB SATA HDD, 21.5" LED-backlit, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M graphics, Four USB 3 ports, SDXC card slot, Gigabit Ethernet Order Now! Ships in 2-3 weeks

MacMall Part #: 9425077 Manufacturer Part #: NEWIMACDUMMY1 Platform: Macintosh

The new iMac
Performance and design. Taken right to the edge.
edermorisset45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:40 AM   #132
Master123of
macrumors newbie

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ac-November-30

30. November
Master123of is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:41 AM   #133
NJRonbo
macrumors 65816

^^^^ Page not found. What did it say? ^^^^^
NJRonbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:42 AM   #134
jmgregory1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by segovius View Post
Yeah, I agree with that but I get the feeling they have either run out of ideas or just pushed the envelope as far as it can go with this thinness obsession in a desktop.

They need to get back some of that innovative spark - back in the day they would have just come up with a new and kick-ass form-factor.
I agree. But I also think Apple's design path has been to push a design to some ultimate point (thinness, weight, etc) before they move to a new form factor altogether.

It's hard to imagine what else you could do with the design of a large screen and integrated processor, but I'm sure Apple will go down some divergent path for the next iteration.

Cheers.
jmgregory1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:44 AM   #135
Master123of
macrumors newbie

Hm worked a few seconds ago. Screenshot:

Thumb resize.
Master123of is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:02 AM   #136
segovius
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to segovius Send a message via Yahoo to segovius Send a message via Skype™ to segovius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
It's a big-ass screen. What new form factor would you want? Black plastic?
By that logic there will never be a new form-factor again as it's unlikely the screens will go start going small-ass
segovius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:15 AM   #137
diazj3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
All I want is for them to make sure the quality of the product is up to scratch i.e. no yellow screens, no overheating etc.
Right... one can only hope...

But if you are ordering the new model now, I'd recommend you arm yourself with a generous dose of hope and patience. IME, in these model changes, specially the ones involving thinner designs and taking the panel setup to new limits, those sort of problems become highly probable.

But hey, don't be discouraged by this - someone has to go first!

cheers
diazj3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:33 AM   #138
iMacFarlane
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
Haha, or the twelfth of never?
The 31st of Febtober.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:02 AM   #139
JMcN
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares View Post

I am so ready to update my Jan 2006 iMac.
My wife is still using her 2004 20" G5 iMac. It's developed a number of problems... It's definitely time to retire it. I just pre-ordered her a 21.5" 2.9GHz iMac. Will be upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16, as soon as they can tell me how much that will cost.

In fact, our newest Mac is a 2006 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using, Other than some worn off letters on some key caps, and a swollen battery (which resulted in a mouse button that stayed jammed "on" -- took me quite a while to figure that one out), it's still going strong.
JMcN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:08 AM   #140
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
Isn't the bulge at the back of the new iMac as deep as the current iMac? In that case you won't gain any desk space at all.
Quote:
You wont be able to push the new iMac any further back than the last gen iMac. The stand looks exactly the same and unchanged. The depth of the stand determines how far back you can set the iMac not the size of the screen itself.
The thinner bezel will let you angle it deeper along a corner. I have a dual monitor set up. A 27" in front of me and a 21" to the corner.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:35 AM   #141
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
And if you don't buy it within 12 hours, you have to wait another 2-3 weeks for shipping!
We've already waited over 70 weeks. Another two weeks won't make that much difference.
JHankwitz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #142
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frippe View Post
Yeah, real sad that I can't watch Blueray movies on it. Guess I will have to go watch them in my comfortable sofa on a big 55" TV with very nice surround system. Really sucks
My system is better. You must be rocking vizio
Radio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:51 PM   #143
Sue De Nimes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
No it isn't. Your just blowing this otherwise minor issue out of proportion.

As I've been saying for months now, just get an external ODD and move on with life. I'm willing to bet less than half of the people who purchase a new iMac now will need the ODD, and that minority will just continue to dwindle.

Lack off ODD is certainly not a deal breaker. Now the new mini? Losing a GPU is a deal breaker. You cant just fix that with some external solution. Huge difference if you know what I mean.
I am looking forward to my new iMac All-In-Two
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:19 PM   #144
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue De Nimes View Post
I am looking forward to my new iMac All-In-Two
Nice. Problem solved.

Is still an all-in-one for me. Because i don't use the ODD.
Icaras is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:43 PM   #145
Lou3000
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcN View Post
My wife is still using her 2004 20" G5 iMac. It's developed a number of problems... It's definitely time to retire it. I just pre-ordered her a 21.5" 2.9GHz iMac. Will be upgrading the RAM from 8GB to 16, as soon as they can tell me how much that will cost.

In fact, our newest Mac is a 2006 MacBook Pro, which I'm still using, Other than some worn off letters on some key caps, and a swollen battery (which resulted in a mouse button that stayed jammed "on" -- took me quite a while to figure that one out), it's still going strong.
You have almost the identical set up as I do. 2005 G5 iMac (pre-iSight G5) and a 2006 MacBook. Sadly, both computers are still doing remarkably well. The G5 is obviously slow at this point, but it could still be an excellent iTunes/iPhoto media storage center if it weren't for the fact that Apple killed PPC support. Same goes for the MacBook. It is a 2Ghz Core Duo, so it got cut out of the last two OS updates, but for the most part it is running completely fine.

I will be getting this iMac and an iPad with Retina.

Edit: Actually, reading this reminds me of why it is so frustrating to be a Mac user. Not only are they expensive, but Apple is making products obsolete faster than ever before.
Lou3000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 AM   #146
T-R-S
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfacts View Post
I told Apple they should make the iMac thinner and they listened to me. The thinner iMac was my idea.
I never liked the Pizza Box G5 - the new ones are sweet looking - at least the pictures are.
T-R-S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #147
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayAbels View Post
Weird. I'm responding to you via my 2005 iMac which I've not brought into service once during its lifetime.
You are fortunate.

My Mom's 2005 iMac has had a ton of gray screen kernel panic issues. She is afraid to turn it on and run anything beyond iTunes 9 because it could die on her at any moment.

I'm glad yours works well. Not everyone is so lucky.
HMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion