Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage34.png
Apple has released an update to mid-2012 MacBook Pro models to fix an issue with some Thunderbolt cables. The 442KB update is available via Apple's support site and the Mac App Store.
About Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1 This update addresses an issue with MacBook Pro (mid 2012) and some Thunderbolt cables that may prevent bus-powered Thunderbolt devices from functioning properly.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Firmware Update v1.1

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Phew, thank goodness they released this! Now my £2000 worth of Thunderbolt cables will work perfectly with my £1000 laptop. :rolleyes: ;)

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think i've lost count of how many 'Thunderbolt' updates there have been since original release.

psykick5

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2011
When is thunderbolt going to be affordable? It's been quite a while since it was released...

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Hopefully this will fix the weirdness with the Ethernet adapter.
What kind of weirdness? Mine works flawlessly as far as i can tell...

On second thought: Is this targetted explicitly to non-Retina MBP's? Not required on my rMBP according to the installer.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Bah! I have Thunderbolt Display, famous for USB ports not working correctly from time-to-time. I got all excited and read the headline as "Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update".

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Not compatible with 15" retina :(.

Was hoping it may fix the random freezing when I plug in my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
So when are they going to fix the MacPro computers that do not have Thunderbolt?
You know those professional computers who's users are the ones most likely to adopt a technology like Thunderbolt, which was designed to be as fast as possible for professional use!

MadDawg2020

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
im also kinda wondering when there will be actual Thunderbolt accessories besides $50 cables and $1000+ hard drive arrays?!

By the time Belkin actually releases its long awaited Thunderbolt breakout box, Apple will have already moved on to the next gen Applebolt standard declaring Thunderbolt a slow and obsolete technology, of course they will gladly sell you a $39 dongle so you can connect at least some of your antique accessories to the new port.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Not compatible with 15" retina :(.

Was hoping it may fix the random freezing when I plug in my Thunderbolt Ethernet adapter.

I don't have that specific issue, but sometimes it does get a bit wonky upon waking and drops the network. The solution has always been to unplug and replug the TB cable -- unplugging the Ethernet cable doesn't do squat when the in line chips are confused.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
I believe we are going to see a difference to thunderbolt devices' price (and a much bigger number to chose from) when PCs will adopt this technology as mainstream. They have just started to do that.

alfredandrew

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2012
they still haven't fixed issue regarding external HDMI display using minidisplay port.... i just applied the patch on my MBP 13" mid-2012 ML 10.8.2 build 12C60 :mad:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I saw this coming. It's like Firewire all over again, only worse because at least Firewire peripherals (such as disks) were somewhat affordable and widely available quickly after release, whereas Thunderbolt peripherals are still overpriced and unavailable.

Sad, because technically thunderbolt is an amazing interface.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
When is thunderbolt going to be affordable? It's been quite a while since it was released...

I guess I don't understand. It comes standard on all current models. Peripherals are pretty much the same cost as FW800 versions or eSATA versions. What's the issue?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I still say it should be called "Lightning Bolt" ;)

I seem to recall (from a year or two ago) that there is, or will be, a "Lightning Bolt" version of this. It is optical using fiber-optics in the cable rather than copper wire. Pictures of it were showing it as part of the USB-3 port rather than minidisplay-port and the optic cables were in 2 corners of the connector (the light transmitters/receivers were built in the devices and coupled to the fiber). They indicated that the optical version would run much faster than the wire version, didn't require active electronics in the cables ($$$), and could be available some time after the Thunderbolt was released.

I haven't seen much about it since ... so perhaps it is still being engineered to work?

nspindel

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Bah! I have Thunderbolt Display, famous for USB ports not working correctly from time-to-time. I got all excited and read the headline as "Apple Releases Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update".

Same with me. Flakey problem, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. Connect the laptop to the TB display, and the USB ports don't connect. I use the USB keyboard, so it's a pretty serious issue. Good thing the trackpad is bluetooth! Only fix I've found is to do a full restart of the machine while it's connected to the display.

If I wanted to reboot my machine in order to get the keyboard to work, I could just use Windows!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I seem to recall (from a year or two ago) that there is, or will be, a "Lightning Bolt" version of this. It is optical using fiber-optics in the cable rather than copper wire. Pictures of it were showing it as part of the USB-3 port rather than minidisplay-port and the optic cables were in 2 corners of the connector (the light transmitters/receivers were built in the devices and coupled to the fiber). They indicated that the optical version would run much faster than the wire version, didn't require active electronics in the cables ($$$), and could be available some time after the Thunderbolt was released.

I haven't seen much about it since ... so perhaps it is still being engineered to work?

Hey thanks, I now feel vindicated. I received a lot of flack when I posted this idea before. If you're right then it all makes sense. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.