Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #51
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
So people just access Google Now in one of the three other ways.

Don't you think that statement is a little pedantic?
No, because you're taking it at face value rather than the meaning behind the statement.

It's not the fact that not being able to access Google Now in that manner is the problem, it's the fact that some features can only be included by updating the OS (unless Google finds a way of making it even more modular/extensible than it is now).

There will be other features in the future, and there has already been many, features that can only be added/improved by updating the OS.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:27 PM   #52
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
There will be other features in the future, and there has already been many, features that can only be added/improved by updating the OS.
Yea, but when that happens, an Android user always has the ability to install a custom rom with the latest OS version if its that important to then. With some of the desktop software which is available these days this is trivially easy.

Even a moderately technical user will be able to do this and what you usually find with technical novices is that they are blissfully unaware of what they are missing out on.
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:39 PM   #53
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yea, but when that happens, an Android user always has the ability to install a custom rom with the latest OS version if its that important to then. With some of the desktop software which is available these days this is trivially easy.

Even a moderately technical user will be able to do this and what you usually find with technical novices is that they are blissfully unaware of what they are missing out on.
I'm not sure why some people are so averse to flashing ROMs. It's kind of a similar process to upgrading Windows.
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:52 PM   #54
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:

Joe Bloggs doesn't care about flashing ROMs or even know what a ROM is.

I've seen people close a firmware update notification, saying "how annoying those popups are" and then complain about bugs in the next breath.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:16 PM   #55
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Same can be said about iPhone users who say iOS is better and if you want widgets, just jailbreak.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:05 PM   #56
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Same can be said about iPhone users who say iOS is better and if you want widgets, just jailbreak.
I agree.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:58 PM   #57
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic View Post
Surprised that you would make a bizarre statement like this. Updates are absolutely important. Without them, progression stops. Bugs and glitches are usually fixed in most updates so many would want them right away.

Do you really want to spend all that money on a phone and not get any bug fixes, feature enhancements, and other goodies during your 2 year contract? It's annoying as hell being forced to have to buy a new phone just to get the update that finally resolves the issue you had on your old "still working fine" phone.
If there is a bug that I want fixed, then definitely I want the update. If the update fixes bugs that do not affect me, I would not care about it. I don't need to fix a problem I don't even know I have.

As for feature enhancements, I probably use less than 10% of the features my phone has already. Most likely, adding a bunch of more features that I may not care for is probably not worth the risk of the update breaking something that I already use.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:51 PM   #58
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:

I've seen people close a firmware update notification, saying "how annoying those popups are"
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Most people don't care (or aren't even aware) of what version of their chosen mobile OS they are running.

The ones that do care often have the know-how to upgrade themselves.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
If there is a bug that I want fixed, then definitely I want the update. If the update fixes bugs that do not affect me, I would not care about it. I don't need to fix a problem I don't even know I have.
Updates invariably introduce new bugs as well. Software always has bugs it just depends on how it affects your particular usage.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:14 PM   #59
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Gotcha. I wonder if T-Mobiles Nexus 4 will get immediate updates? I don't think there's any bloatware on those devices?
Its the same exact device software wise as the unlocked nexus. Its not even sim locked.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:02 PM   #60
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Updates invariably introduce new bugs as well. Software always has bugs it just depends on how it affects your particular usage.
Exactly. Whatever bugs there may be on my SGS3 running ICS doesn't affect me or I don't notice. Bugs on the Transformer is affecting me and I am willing to trade my old bugs for new ones on my Transformer, hoping the new ones don't affect me as much.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:19 PM   #61
matttye
macrumors 601

Quote:
That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. Most people don't care (or aren't even aware) of what version of their chosen mobile OS they are running.

The ones that do care often have the know-how to upgrade themselves.
There's a slight technical skill gap between having to tap a button to update firmware, and having to learn about custom ROMs, then actively seek out software that can install them, then choose a ROM, connect your phone to the computer and install it.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices