Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I want to get something like (or it) a Wacom Bamboo for my 15 yr old daughter as a budding graphic artist.
She is getting a new Mac Mini but I want to get her an inexpensive Wacom or Bamboo (are they the same?) setup.
I would love to order tonight-under $150

HELP

Throw this dog a bone and some links please!

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Can the Splash be used on photos or just art? does Capture work as art or just photos?

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I have this and it works well.

Tablets are just a different way to move the cursor around on the screen that happen to be well suited to drawing and things like that. It's just like a different type of mouse, and shouldn't hugely matter what type you buy as to what you'll be using it for. At least for a 15 year old.

In general, bigger is better, though bigger tablets get much more expensive.

TheGenerous

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2010
I'm an Austronaut
I have an intuos 4 (small). It has pressure and angle sensors and the bamboo doesn't.

The small size is perfect to me for editing photos on Lightroom or playing on Photoshop.

Check reviews on youtube.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Hi, I have an older version Wacom Bamboo and it's a terrific starter tablet (I'm learning digital graphics myself). It does have pressure sensitivity, although obviously not as many levels as the Intuous. The small size works fine with my 21.5 iMac screen.

Regarding using it on photos or artwork, that's up to the graphics software not the tablet, so yes, even a Wacom Bamboo can be used on photographs or to create digital art from scratch with software like Photoshop, Pixelmator, iDraw, Sketchbook Express, etc. Just google Pixelmator or Photoshop tutorials sites and your daughter can learn a lot of useful stuff in a short time with the tablet and the various programs. :) It's a blast.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have been a Wacom user for many years. Currently own the intuous extra large: http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-tablets/intuos/intuos4-extra-large

The difference between wacom and bamboo has to do with the sensitivity and size. Wacom is a leans towards professional graphic artist work, bamboo for the typical consumer.

For her first tablet I'd recommend the bamboo series. The Splash probably would work perfectly for her, of course I'd recommend upgrading to the Create for digital art ( because it is bigger than the splash ). The Splash works great for editing pictures, touch up work, but for creating art you want size.

Good luck, she will love any of them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.