Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
$2600 with base ram (not sure how much 3rd party to 32GB will cost) + Apple care + Taxes = probably more than you were expecting :p

Nope. About $200 less in total. I'm keeping the 8 gigs of base RAM, adding the i7, 1TB Fusion drive, the 680mx, Apple Magic Mouse and Trackpad combo and Apple Care. (Along with Apple Airport Extreme, Apple TV and a printer.)

About $3500 including taxes.

Will match up nicely with my 3rd Gen iPad and my iPhone 5.

I'm in the ecosystem not because I've been suckered in... but because I love the simplicity of it all. It just works and works well for my lifestyle.

JackLeBoul

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Zurich - Switzerland
"professionals"

This computer is TOP OF THE LINE awesome! Yes... thin IS in.

If you REALLY need power for scientific calculations and/or graphic animation... wait for the Mac Pro.

This is a CONSUMER desktop. This is what consumers want. And many of you "professionals" don't even NEED a Mac Pro for the things you need to get done.

If that's the case... this is for you. A quad core i7 option and a GTX 680mx GPU is ALL the power you'll need for the next 5 years. The GTX 680m is the most powerful mobile GPU on the market right now... and still some of you whine like little... meh.

The pricing actually came below what I had expected as I'll be purchasing a maxed out 27" iMac w/ 1TB Fusion Drive along with Apple Airplay, Apple TV and a new printer.

This is awesome and I personally can't wait.

Hey, if this is the machine that fits your needs, great.

But you have no idea of what "professionals" need.
A MacBook Air with a 27 inch screen is not "it"

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
considering that they don't offer a medium sized SSD upgrade.

Yeah, I don't get that. How hard would it be to offer 256 and 512 ssd options? I guess they are really pushing this fusion drive stuff instead. It just seems out of sync to me.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Now compare that with a 27" panel that is the same resolution as the 27" iMac. Big price difference.

DoubleSight DS-275W - $548 at Newegg
ASUS PB278Q - $680 at Wal Mart (this one uses new PLS panel from Samsung)

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
Expensive, but indeed it is awesome stuff. :D

But I am thinking about getting the previous generation at cheaper price. ;)

Not a bad idea. Of course you could also wait until these start showing up on the refurbished site to save yourself some cash. I figure 7 months from now there ought to be a decent supply of refurbished ones. (And anything will be an improvement from my early '09 duo core iMac.)

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
$1300 for 768GB SSD? Hahahaha. Oh man, I know we need to deal with the Apple tax but that is a bit much.

Thanks Apple, the base iMac price went up by $100, and to add a fusion drive (read: throw in 128GB SSD which retailed on black friday for as low as $50) requires one to choose the $1500 iMac and then add the $250 option. $1750 for the cheapest iMac with a tiny SSD.

Also, could they not have had some simple SSD options like 256GB or 512GB? Jump right to 768GB for $1300?

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
The added time & effort you'll need to upgrade later, in addition to all the problems you'll have with the substitute memory, it's well worth the added cost now. Trust me, I've been there, done that.

I don't trust you. Those are extremely simple tasks.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
And maybe the ability to change it as needed. Apple is getting retarded. I just bought 16GB SO-DIMM of same memory for under 100.00 for Macbook. So weak Apple. The hard drive speed thing is about moving users into more expensive models. There is no reason to offer 5400RPM drives (I get the fusion SSD/HDD option but even then I want 7200 in storage. Slow enough already). iMac's don't run on batteries. And the heat is a minimal difference.

Wow. Did not realize Apple would charge so much for Fusion drive. To get decent iMac with i7 and fusion drive... you have to pay amazing mark-up.

So sad. When did Apple start to price gouge on these things? Seems worst than ever... :mad:

:mad::apple:

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I am purchasing a new iMac on business expense. I have to keep it as close to $1600 as possible. I'm only looking at 21.5 inch iMacs and I get an educators discount.

Could someone help me understand which option will have more bang for the buck?

2.9 GHz w/ ram upgrade to 16 GB for $1599
2.9 GHz w/ Fusion drive upgrade for $1649
3.1 GHz with no other upgrades for $1599
-snip-

Definitely the fusion drive. 8GB of ram and a slower processor will be plenty for your needs. The drive upgrade will make file read/writes much faster.

I have a 2007 iMac and its getting slow for opening big photoshop files. What do you think would be the best optoin for me to get on a 27" iMac all I'm using for it Photoshop, Browsing the Net and maybe some video editing, and maybe do some programing on my iPhone Dev account. I want it to last for the longest it can since it going to be my last computer for awhile.

Again, go fusion. Hater's gonna hate but it's the best performance for the price. You can upgrade the ram later if you find you have allot of swap files to attend to.

Why 5400rpm drives on the 21-inch model
-snip- but I'm willing to put up with the noise (and/or a software solution to control fan speed) if it means not having to live with a slow 5400rpm drive, -snip-

People. RPM's do not perfectly equate to read/write speeds because magnetic disks come in different densities. If you need pictures then go here to understand.

The 2011 iMac uses WD Blue drives, the 2012 will use either Green or Red (unlikely, but that would be an interesting option) which have variable spin speeds ranging from 5400 to 7200 on demand. The actual performance difference between all these drives is very small. Now, a WD Black would be faster, but I guess you will see them in the 27" model.

Interesting.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Long time fan of the iMac line, but this generation does not tempt me. The low end is too crippled, and the upgrade options are too limited and expensive. My 2011 will last years more.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Long time fan of the iMac line, but this generation does not tempt me. The low end is too crippled, and the upgrade options are too limited and expensive. My 2011 will last years more.

I agree, It will be a discounted 2011 for me or PC lol

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Dear My Most Beautiful and Wonderful Wife,

You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Love,

Your Dedicated Husband

P.S. I'm about to spend $2,877 plus tax on a new iMac, but I only spent about $900 on you for Christmas...

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Finally we have prices. :)

27" with i7 and the 1tb fusion and 680 for me, I'll drop a wee bit of crucial ram in there and it"ll see me right for another 4 years.

Still miffed that I'll have to get a disc drive and an adaptor for my FireWire drobo though....... But on the whole it's ok.

Yumbo

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2011
Australia
thanks for the help. I know that everything helps. But to a newb like me, it's all just numbers at some point. I would have picked the extra ram not knowing the difference. thanks. Looks like itll be a fusion drive then!

More RAM is better given that OSX is a memory hog especially for video let alone Safari.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Again, go fusion. Hater's gonna hate but it's the best performance for the price. You can upgrade the ram later if you find you have allot of swap files to attend to.

Actually, on the 21.5" you CAN'T upgrade the memory. You have to buy it with either 8 or 16 and it is built that way from the factory. No RAM slots (unless that's changed).

And $200 extra for that Apple? Ouch.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
The new iMacs are here... The New iMacs are here

*jumps up and down like a school kid*

One thing i hate about these all-in-one designs, is that while they nice to look at, thats about it..

you need an Apple service centre to replace hard drive, and they would you their own brand..... which means you pay their prices.....

This is why i like the non-Retina MBP's, since you can still upgrade the hard dive yourself, you don't need to buy through Apple...... save the $100 from a retailer instead :) Unless absolute necessary, i pay Apple prices. eg computers, power replacements (maybe), but all others, including memory, i pay retailer prices.

Last edited:

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
But you have no idea of what "professionals" need.
A MacBook Air with a 27 inch screen is not "it"

Dear friend. The iMac is NOT a pro machine.

1) Screen: Every frackin screen issue with Apple (yellow imac, retina mbp, ipad) has been due to LG screens. Now all screens on iMac are LG. God only knows what will be wrong with these. Pros can not use these reject screens.

2) Even with fusion drive, the hdd is 5400rpm. Slap in the face of pros.

3) Mobile graphics card.

So, is this a pro machine, or very expensive consumer toy? Might as well get mac mini with a REAL screen.

:apple:

tshed4041

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2007
Dear My Most Beautiful and Wonderful Wife,

You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Love,

Your Dedicated Husband

P.S. I'm about to spend $2,877 plus tax on a new iMac, but I only spent about $900 on you for Christmas...

That made me laugh out loud. Best thing I read today! :)

JackLeBoul

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2010
Zurich - Switzerland
Agree

Dear friend. The iMac is NOT a pro machine.

1) Screen: Every frackin screen issue with Apple (yellow imac, retina mbp, ipad) has been due to LG screens. Now all screens on iMac are LG. God only knows what will be wrong with these. Pros can not use these reject screens.

2) Even with fusion drive, the hdd is 5400rpm. Slap in the face of pros.

3) Mobile graphics card.

So, is this a pro machine, or very expensive consumer toy? Might as well get mac mini with a REAL screen.

:apple:

So you agree with me.
That was my point. iMac is a Macbook Air with a large screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.