Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I read this article and its confusing about bootcamp and windows.

These Macs support 32-bit or 64-bit editions of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate using Boot Camp. They do not support Windows Vista or Windows XP.

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later
iMac (Mid 2011)
Mac mini (Mid 2011)
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit editions work with certain Intel-based Macs using Boot Camp, which is included with Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6. Computers with Mac OS X v10.6 or later work with 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate. The only 64-bit version of Windows supported on these computers is 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate.

These Macs can use 64-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) and later
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008) and later

So I have a mid 2010 17" so I should have no trouble running Windows 7 64 bit?
Which version do recommend? Home edition or the Pro version of 7?
I will be using Parallels to run it.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I am confused now..
Just read where if you buy the windows 7 OEM version you can only use it once to install, after that it will not work.
How can that be? I had an XP oem disk and I could install it a number of times if I had problems.

Which version do you guys rec.? home 64, professional 64?
Also I see on Ebay they are selling (Full versions,) which means its not an upgrade but a new install? Is that the way to go???

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I am confused now..
Just read where if you buy the windows 7 OEM version you can only use it once to install, after that it will not work.
How can that be? I had an XP oem disk and I could install it a number of times if I had problems.

Which version do you guys rec.? home 64, professional 64?
Also I see on Ebay they are selling (Full versions,) which means its not an upgrade but a new install? Is that the way to go???

OEM version will install as many times as you want, put only on one computer.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
OEM version will install as many times as you want, put only on one computer.

thanks, just wanted to make sure. I bought an OEM version, see how things go..
a fresh install is always nice if I can get all my software again.

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I read this article and its confusing about bootcamp and windows.

These Macs support 32-bit or 64-bit editions of Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate using Boot Camp. They do not support Windows Vista or Windows XP.

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and later
MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
MacBook Air (Late 2010) and later
iMac (Mid 2011)
Mac mini (Mid 2011)
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit editions work with certain Intel-based Macs using Boot Camp, which is included with Mac OS X v10.5 and v10.6. Computers with Mac OS X v10.6 or later work with 32-bit versions of Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate. The only 64-bit version of Windows supported on these computers is 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate.

These Macs can use 64-bit editions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, or Windows 7 Ultimate:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2009) and later
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Early 2008) and later
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2008) and later

So I have a mid 2010 17" so I should have no trouble running Windows 7 64 bit?
Which version do recommend? Home edition or the Pro version of 7?
I will be using Parallels to run it.

I would be using VMware or run native. There is little difference between Home and Professional: Professional has more to do with security when working in an office environment and have a computer support person administering maintenance , updates etc on a group basis. Just get Home.

Oops - I just noticed that you already bought....

PS: OEM checks out the hardware but if you get a replacement logic board (or replacement computer) it will no longer activate. However in that case you can phone up Microsoft support and say that you've got a replacement computer or motherboard and they'll activate it over the phone.

Last edited:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I would be using VMware or run native. There is little difference between Home and Professional: Professional has more to do with security when working in an office environment and have a computer support person administering maintenance , updates etc on a group basis. Just get Home.

Oops - I just noticed that you already bought....

PS: OEM checks out the hardware but if you get a replacement logic board (or replacement computer) it will no longer activate. However in that case you can phone up Microsoft support and say that you've got a replacement computer or motherboard and they'll activate it over the phone.

I've replaced the logic board twice on my MacBook Pro, but Windows 7 is still activated. :D

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
I got a download for the W7 home 64 for $59, and they gave me the Pro version.
Up and running and loading all the updates right now..

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2006
I got a download for the W7 home 64 for $59, and they gave me the Pro version.
Up and running and loading all the updates right now..

Oh ho . . .on the Mac?

I am going to get the OEM as i'll only install it on the new iMac. . .and its much cheaper.

I have a wee question though. . .when installing via bootcamp. . .do you choose 32 or 64? Is there a reason NOT to choose 64 bit? :)

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
Oh ho . . .on the Mac?

I am going to get the OEM as i'll only install it on the new iMac. . .and its much cheaper.

I have a wee question though. . .when installing via bootcamp. . .do you choose 32 or 64? Is there a reason NOT to choose 64 bit? :)

I wanted the extra speed of the 64 since I make pro slide shows and I think it will speed up in making ISO files. It takes more memory but I dont care about that..

MJL

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I've replaced the logic board twice on my MacBook Pro, but Windows 7 is still activated. :D

You normally have a few "grace" activations between different hardware configurations. In the past (when I was still employed in IT, over ten years ago) the previous configuration would not be kept by MSN after 6 months, don't know what the situation is these days.

The check has mainly to do with motherboard and CPU ID, wireless and fixed network cards. If the Macbook does not have a wired network connection any longer then that will give you a few more times that you can change hardware.

It also helps if you activate from the same ISP connection / location.

But it helps to know that you can ring up, have the explanation ready and then reactivate.

----------

I wanted the extra speed of the 64 since I make pro slide shows and I think it will speed up in making ISO files. It takes more memory but I dont care about that..

If you want to speed things up then run it native. (bootcamp, not with Parallels or VMware).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.