Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this commercial by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: http://www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-thumb

Attachments

• IMG_0552.PNG
    IMG_0552.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 180

shenfrey

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2010
As you can see with my attached picture my screen has black borders on the top and bottom of an image I just took with my iPhone 5. However in this [URL="[/URL] by Apple it shows the full screen, what gives???

Select Turkey video

Link to video: [/QUOTE] It was done by snapping pictures during recording mode.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Isn't this misleading? I mean I expect to view any picture taken on my phone in full screen view. Not with black borders. I understand the difference in aspect size / pixel ratios, however, if all android devices can fit the screen perfectly and the iPhone - 4s could why can't they scale to fit on the 5. Just seems like a blunder of mistakes on Apples part.

Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC

Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Really? That is nothing to complain about. The 4:3 ratio will not expand to 16:9, if it did, then the forum would be filed with complaints that parts of the photo are cut off. Is it too much trouble for you to use your fingers and expand it yourself? I think there are more important things to worry about these days, don't you?

Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.

Just because Apple made a misleading commercial that doesn't mean they should now alter the product to fit that ad. What they should be doing is making the commercials match the product, not the other way around.

Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Not to much trouble, but when I see something being advertised in a way I thought the device would function and it doesn't that bothers me. If you bought a house and you were told on the pamphlet that you would get a fireplace and then when you move in you find there is no fireplace I think you would be pissed. Yes there are more important things out there going on, but little things still have a part.

Actually it does mean they should alter it or at least inform the consumer that they performed editing shots to have the full screen view. People win court cases all the time against companies for doing this exact thing.

'Nuff said

ad-vs-reality-mcdonalds.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.