Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Actually, on the 21.5" you CAN'T upgrade the memory. You have to buy it with either 8 or 16 and it is built that way from the factory. No RAM slots (unless that's changed).

And $200 extra for that Apple? Ouch.

Correct. Except the original poster I was quoting was buying a 27".

So you agree with me.
That was my point. iMac is a Macbook Air with a large screen.

...and a discrete graphics processor (not just HD4000), much more internal storage, and greater RAM options. But you are correct it is not a mac pro.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
We got an original IBM PC at launch for that price: 0.00477GHz, 320x200x4 graphics, 0.000016GB RAM, 0.00016GB storage. Bandwidth measured in feet per second. Monitor not included.

31 years later, for the same price we're getting something 2800x faster, 345x pixels & color depth, 1,000,000x more memory, and 6,250,000x greater storage. Incomparable bandwidth. Everything included in monitor.

Never mind that the value of a dollar has dropped to 1/3rd in the meantime.

Now get off my lawn. :cool:

Well 31 years later there are alternatives to something that 2800x faster, 345x pixels & color depth, 1,000,000x more memory, and 6,250,000x greater storage and costs less than $2000.

And at the same 31 years later, a 32GB RAM upgrade from 8GB out there cost much less than $600.
Why should people get off your lawn? No one standing on it anyway ;)

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Are those people who complain about the RAM prices teenagers or what? what planet are they living on? Apple has been overcharging on RAM since day one.:rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Dear friend. The iMac is NOT a pro machine.

1) Screen: Every frackin screen issue with Apple (yellow imac, retina mbp, ipad) has been due to LG screens. Now all screens on iMac are LG. God only knows what will be wrong with these. Pros can not use these reject screens.
:apple:

All companies develop faults at one point in product cycle.. No one is perfect... so i don't blame LG for this at all... I've had my ipad 3 since the day got it, and *never* been in for service due to screen issue or anything.....
Its just a bad batch.

Its like saying, "I'm never gonna use Verbatim because my 50 spindle Duel Layer discs i bought (half was bad)"

These days, people actually *expect* perfection, if that doesn't happen, they move on..... no second chances.....

Are you saying if these screens were from Samsung, we wouldn't have these issues?

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I can't help but think that if they invested less into making it thinner, or even kept the previous thinness (it's a desktop :rolleyes:), then they may have been able to offer much more powerful hardware, such as at least 7,200RPM HDDs or more powerful graphics for baseline models.

But, thin wins with Apple.

Then how would Apple be different from all the other PC manufacturers? There's a ton of manufacturers who can pack more specs into a box and call that innovation. Super-thin, beautiful, the wow factor; it's something you can't quantify, and is in part what makes Apple, Apple.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
There is a lot of truth here. Now we all start to pay the price for Apple's war on Samsung. Inferior components at higher cost. Too bad we're all not Apple lawyers.

No, we're not paying for any war. Read the post above you. This is nothing new in Apple's world.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I was thinking of getting 16Gb of RAM, now I'm NOT getting the Apple RAM for obvious reasons. But would I be better off getting 2x 8Gb and adding it to give me 24Gb and the option to get 16Gb later and just sacrificing the 8Gb of Apple RAM? or get 8Gb and jsut get 32Gb later if needed?

I have heard sometimes there can be conflict between different brands of RAM so adding 8Gb might cause problems?

I don't think I'll need 32Gb yet, but 16Gb is a nice boost and should last 3-4 years without needing more.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This computer is TOP OF THE LINE awesome! Yes... thin IS in.

If you REALLY need power for scientific calculations and/or graphic animation... wait for the Mac Pro.

This is a CONSUMER desktop. This is what consumers want. And many of you "professionals" don't even NEED a Mac Pro for the things you need to get done.

If that's the case... this is for you. A quad core i7 option and a GTX 680mx GPU is ALL the power you'll need for the next 5 years. The GTX 680m is the most powerful mobile GPU on the market right now... and still some of you whine like little... meh.

The pricing actually came below what I had expected as I'll be purchasing a maxed out 27" iMac w/ 1TB Fusion Drive along with Apple Airplay, Apple TV and a new printer.

This is awesome and I personally can't wait.

Not even GTX 690 can withstand the next 5 years tech.

I've heard the samw tune for 6970M back then on iMac 2011. Well it was barely able to play Battlefield 3 on native resolution. Not even that smooth on 1080p.

And 1 year later, Battlefield 3 is not even the baddest boy out there. Ican feel my GPU pushed a bit far now. They want you to buy new things, not caving inwith the same hw for5 years. Nothing on this new iMac would work well or decent for the next 5years standard.

jsnoah

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2006
Ramsey, NJ
Awesome! want one! Have reservations....

OK... I didn't read through the whole forum, but the whole idea of not having an optical drive bothers me. I know it is super thin and the design is really sick looking... But the missing drive, I can't over look... I don't burn a ton of cd's or dvd's but in the event that I need to I don't want to have to burn desk space for an external... Hints?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
OK... I didn't read through the whole forum, but the whole idea of not having an optical drive bothers me. I know it is super thin and the design is really sick looking... But the missing drive, I can't over look... I don't burn a ton of cd's or dvd's but in the event that I need to I don't want to have to burn desk space for an external... Hints?

External are not that big these days and the glorified superdrive looks elegant :eek:

Sucks big time they think imac needs to be more thin, anyway its apple.

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
That made me laugh out loud. Best thing I read today! :)

Cheers! Now lets see how much the wife laughs! I'm thinking her reaction will be more of a :eek: than a :) Good thing its being paid for from my injury settlement. "Honest Honey, the doctor said spending $3k on a new iMac would make me feel better!"

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
What do you need more then 16 Gbs of ram for? :rolleyes:

Not so much that, but why in this form factor? It seems that when you get to those RAM requirements, an AIO isn't really what you're after, you either need better graphics, better sound, better (bigger?) display, more processing power, etc. which are not satisfied by the iMac but more so by the Mac Pro??

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
Anyone get 32GB of RAM for a reasonable price? If so, link it up. I could and have googled it, but I don't really know what's good and what's not.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Just because you did not like my post you did not have to read it and whatever, it does nto matter because it is related with time release of a product or software. If you need to rage try else where.

It's called staying on topic.

And to keep on topic, I want one of these to replace my 2007 24" iMac!

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I don't burn a ton of cd's or dvd's but in the event that I need to I don't want to have to burn desk space for an external... Hints?

Yes, here's a simple hint. If you hardly ever use the external, put it in a cupboard until you need it.
Think of it as a bottle of tomato ketchup... when you don't need it, there's no point having it on the table.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Yep, unfortunately Apple is a one trick pony at this point. They need to get back to innovation and put away the scalpel.

Thinness is an innovation. If you don't think so, try listing what you think are Apple's past innovations, and see how quickly others tell you they really aren't innovations.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Yes, here's a simple hint. If you hardly ever use the external, put it in a cupboard until you need it.
Think of it as a bottle of tomato ketchup... when you don't need it, there's no point having it on the table.
If your home or office has several Macs that lack an optical drive, you can buy a single drive and move it from one machine to another, depending on who needs it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.