Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Typical. Apple fan accuses Samsung of "RIPPING APPLE OFF OMG THEY SUCK. THEY MUST PAY" Pointed out that notification center was ripped off of Android they say "what? that again? why do you keep bringing that up?"

Notification center is not a ripoff of Android notifications

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The concept may be a rip off of Android's, but Notification Center is no where as usable as Android's notification pull down. Expandable notifications (now expandable with one finger) and the ability to swipe away single entries is so useful. I can't believe Apple doesn't allow you to swipe away single notifications. Joke.

Not to mention, you still never get to see notification icons at the top in your status bar. Why is the carrier icon still up there, really, for iOS?

Pjstock42

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
The concept may be a rip off of Android's, but Notification Center is no where as usable as Android's notification pull down. Expandable notifications (now expandable with one finger) and the ability to swipe away single entries is so useful. I can't believe Apple doesn't allow you to swipe away single notifications. Joke.

Not to mention, you still never get to see notification icons at the top in your status bar. Why is the carrier icon still up there, really, for iOS?

Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Even on a tablet sized screen (Nexus 7 in my case) I have to swipe 4/5 times to get one of those single bars to swipe away because they are too narrow for this action to be practical.

The notifications are narrow? It's a solid bar of information.

I don't know, mate. I don't have trouble swiping notifications away... at all. I've never heard anyone missing it or struggling because it's too narrow. Practice some more? :confused:

EDIT: How does one have troubling swiping away bars this big? Not trying to demean in anyway. Serious question. It shouldn't be difficult.

nexus-7-notifications.jpg

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I didn't mind the Android notification centre, until 4.2. I used to absent-mindedly swipe anywhere at the top of my N7 to bring it down, now you have to specifically aim for the top-left of the device to get the notification centre, whereas before I think I used to pull it down from the right of the screen more. That action now pulls down quick settings. I'd prefer a bar of quick settings to be in the notification centre in stock Android, oh well.

Yeah, I thought about this. There should be an option to turn this on/off. If Quick settings can be turned off, I'd use Power Toggles anyway. It's better.

Is the split dead center? At the very least, the quick settings should be further right. Otherwise, will just have to adjust. More features usually means adjustments in some form.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

I'd say you're exaggerating.

----------

I haven't played around with 4.2 yet but IMO it would'be been better if they had power toggles, kind of like in Touchwiz and Cyanogenmod ROMs.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Yeah, I thought about this. There should be an option to turn this on/off. If Quick settings can be turned off, I'd use Power Toggles anyway. It's better.

Is the split dead center? At the very least, the quick settings should be further right. Otherwise, will just have to adjust. More features usually means adjustments in some form.
Not quite, mine still pulls down the notification centre slightly to the right of the camera, go any further right though and you get quick settings.

I agree that you should be able to turn it off, I liked swiping from anywhere along the top to get notifications.
I'd say you're exaggerating.

----------

I haven't played around with 4.2 yet but IMO it would'be been better if they had power toggles, kind of like in Touchwiz and Cyanogenmod ROMs.

Yeah, I think that set-up is ideal. Toggles in the notification centre just seems like such a natural addition.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
In what way is the stock iPhone music player anywhere close to Poweramp?

It's simpler and neater.

Diceplayer, BSplayer do exactly what you claim android can't. Hell you can just use a file manager
Iike ESFile explorer to browse to smb, FTP, or cloud servers and use the android intent system to open videos with whatever player you desire.

So if they do the same thing, why should I downgrade to Android?

It's amazing how people almost seem proud of their lack of knowledge. I can tell Google Maps to cache whatever areas I will need when I got away and it works fine.

Have you actually used Android for more than a few minutes or do you just not understand how to use it? Either option is not the best reflection on you.

Google Maps caches only a small portion of the map or the route. That's it.

----------

Also, Android does not have an edge bounce back effect. iOS does. It's awesome!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

They definitely went backwards in 4.2, they should just have a single unified notification bar. Another thing I hate about android is you can't swipe to go back, something that I miss about iOS, I think Apple has a patent on that, but I'm not sure. It really really sucks having a chunk of your screen taken up by the back/home buttons, really unintuitive to reach down there sometimes and annoying to have that wasted screen space.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

On my Nexus 4 I can swipe down from any place at the top of screen to slide down notifications. There is no way to get anything else. Two fingers brings down quick settings. What am I missing about this split thing?

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
On my Nexus 4 I can swipe down from any place at the top of screen to slide down notifications. There is no way to get anything else. Two fingers brings down quick settings. What am I missing about this split thing?

Michael

He's referring to tablets.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
He's referring to tablets.

Then for me I would like that! It's sometimes awkward to use 2 fingers to get to quick settings so I just use one then get to quick settings from notification drop-down. Usually it is to see battery percentage lol.

Michael

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Then for me I would like that! It's sometimes awkward to use 2 fingers to get to quick settings so I just use one then get to quick settings from notification drop-down. Usually it is to see battery percentage lol.

Michael

I really feel that the Stock ROM should provide the option of using either a battery bar or showing the percentage. Custom ROMs have had this for a while.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

Not trying to convince you to do anything. Just shutting down your claim of there being no android equivalent to whatever crap you were spewing. Nice job on the fox news caliber spin job though

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Typical. Apple fan accuses Samsung of "RIPPING APPLE OFF OMG THEY SUCK. THEY MUST PAY" Pointed out that notification center was ripped off of Android they say "what? that again? why do you keep bringing that up?"

I think the Samsung ripping off Apple digs are just as dated and boring.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
It's simpler and neater.

Google Maps caches only a small portion of the map or the route. That's it.

----------

Also, Android does not have an edge bounce back effect. iOS does. It's awesome!

Smacks Forehead... Just give it up.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
I honestly don't understand why so many Apple iDevice haters keep coming back to website called Macrumors. Seriously, why are you guys here if you hate all "i" device so much?

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I honestly don't understand why so many Apple iDevice haters keep coming back to website called Macrumors. Seriously, why are you guys here if you hate all "i" device so much?

Who says they hates all ''i''devices, haven't noticed one in this thread.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012

Criticizing a product is not the same as hating it.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Criticizing a product is not the same as hating it.

To me it's the same especially some of you here (you know who you are) have nothing good to say about any Apple device. Seriously, there must be thousands of Android related forums beside Macrumors.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
To me it's the same.

Not to me. I use Android and like it, but I can criticize it and admit that it has its faults.

Make of it what you will.

Edit: I just checked some of your comments. They don't seem very reasonable. I can see why you wouldn't like this sub-forum.

Last edited:

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Not to me. I use Android and like it, but I can criticize it and admit that it has its faults.

Yeah I understand that...I use iPhone and it has its many faults too but some people are here for a different reason.

----------

Edit: I just checked some of your comments. They don't seem very reasonable. I can see why you wouldn't like this sub-forum.

Of course you don't since you have Android. You see??? It's not that I don't like it but it's more amusing than annoying.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
To me it's the same especially some of you here (you know who you are) have nothing good to say about any Apple device. Seriously, there must be thousands of Android related forums beside Macrumors.

I shall critisize everything I deem critisizable.

I hate the sharp edges on the iPhone 4/4s/5
I hate TouchWiz
I hate the price of iMacs
I hate the glass design of the N4

Just don't expect me to critisize about Android on an Apple forum... I rather stay on topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.