Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jumpfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
So I'm getting such slow Internet using edge in manhattan. Does anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 393

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Edge is always super slow. Super glad a lot of areas in Dallas are refarmed now with more and more coverage each day haha. Just need that LTE next year 8)

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
And that tortoise-fast ping time too. :)

While I'm still waiting for LTE, my hspa+ isn't too horrible.

Last edited:

yip1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
So I'm getting such slow Internet using edge in manhattan. Does anyone else have this issue?
You have a "4G" data package doesn't mean you will always get "4G". For iPhone and other non T-Mobile phones (which doesn't support AWS 3G frequency), you need to be in the refarmed PCS (1900) 3G area to get 3G (or call it 4G if you like as 4G is only a marketing team for T-Mobile HSPA+ network). Check out http://www.airportal.de/ for other T-Mobile users reporting for refarmed PCS 3G area.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I used to have T-Mobile when I first moved to NYC and the coverage is okay but the speeds are terrible.

What can you really expect from HSPA+?

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What most people do not understand about T-Mobile is that they are a struggling carrier. They are now refarming their existing HSPA+ network so that the iPhone will work on it. They don't want to pay Apple for a subsizdized phone. I personally like T-Mobile, but I don't think they'll be in the game much longer without the iPhone.

Their "4G" network is nice, but not consistent. You'll have 5 bars of full 4G and then move down the block and have EDGE. They use 1700mhz and 2100 mhz bands for their 3G which are really bad for building penetration.

AT&T uses 850mhz and 1900mhz which is why their 3G is way more consistent. It seems much more mature than T-Mobile's 3G/4G.

I don't think I'd invest into an unlocked iPhone for use on T-Mobile. By year's end, their new 1900mhz 3G will still be buggy and will fall back to EDGE.

jumpfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
You have a "4G" data package doesn't mean you will always get "4G". For iPhone and other non T-Mobile phones (which doesn't support AWS 3G frequency), you need to be in the refarmed PCS (1900) 3G area to get 3G (or call it 4G if you like as 4G is only a marketing team for T-Mobile HSPA+ network). Check out http://www.airportal.de/ for other T-Mobile users reporting for refarmed PCS 3G area.

Okay I didn't realise they were allowed to advertise something that they don't actually deliver but there you go...

According to airportal there was a 3G sighting right where I live but I have not got 3G speeds so far.

Does anyone know how these refarms are being planned? You would think New York would be first??

----------

What most people do not understand about T-Mobile is that they are a struggling carrier. They are now refarming their existing HSPA+ network so that the iPhone will work on it. They don't want to pay Apple for a subsizdized phone. I personally like T-Mobile, but I don't think they'll be in the game much longer without the iPhone.

Their "4G" network is nice, but not consistent. You'll have 5 bars of full 4G and then move down the block and have EDGE. They use 1700mhz and 2100 mhz bands for their 3G which are really bad for building penetration.

AT&T uses 850mhz and 1900mhz which is why their 3G is way more consistent. It seems much more mature than T-Mobile's 3G/4G.

I don't think I'd invest into an unlocked iPhone for use on T-Mobile. By year's end, their new 1900mhz 3G will still be buggy and will fall back to EDGE.

Is there a no contract pay monthly alternative you could recommend that will perform better? Straight talk perhaps?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

They use those high frequency bands because they don't use spectrum as much as the lower MHz bands. Plus, their 3G/"4G" will be using 1900 MHz PCS by the end of 2013, and their LTE/LTE-Advanced will be using the 1700 MHz and 2100 MHz (Band 4, AWS) by next year, thus allowing full access to the iPhone 5 (or any iPhones after that). I think T-Mobile is going to have a good future ahead (as long as they buy the iPhone :p).

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Okay I didn't realise they were allowed to advertise something that they don't actually deliver but there you go...

According to airportal there was a 3G sighting right where I live but I have not got 3G speeds so far.

Does anyone know how these refarms are being planned? You would think New York would be first??

----------

Is there a no contract pay monthly alternative you could recommend that will perform better? Straight talk perhaps?

Why would NY be first? Isn't T-mobile based on the west coast? That's where you think would be first. Anyway in Miami I am getting consistant 13mb/s on their 3G network. They said they should have their hspa+ network up by January here. Also they say they will hopefully have their LTE-Avanced network up this summer! But if they fall behind I am very happy with their very fast 3G speeds.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm getting 3G 90% of the time when I'm in queens ny
60% when in manhattan
80% in long island
At the rate 3G is poping up in New York I can see it completed by the end of the year

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I see why people would go to T-Mobile with an unlocked iPhone but in the end your getting speeds as fast or even slower than the 4S since it's only 3G+ or if your in Europe since they don't have LTE fully established

jumpfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
I'm getting 3G 90% of the time when I'm in queens ny
60% when in manhattan
80% in long island
At the rate 3G is poping up in New York I can see it completed by the end of the year
Have you noticed those percentages increase a lot lately? Maybe I should stick it out if they're upgrading in the metro area

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Fortunately you're in New York and tmobile has said they hope to have the city done by the end of the year or early January. There are already tons of spots popping up. I would just wait it out.

For me it's getting tough to wait. Nothing has popped up yet in my area at all and it's almost December. I really would hate to go back to an Android device.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012

What are average T-Mobile 4G speeds in NYC?

Does anyone have any idea as to what average speeds (4G) for T-Mobile are in Los Angeles/Southern California? Northern California? Chicago?

Thanks in advanced.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Wow, the intelligence of this thread is rather low.

They do deliver 4G in New York... on AWS. Which the iPhone cannot use. Get a Nexus 4 or SGS III or something.

High frequency building penetration has little to do with PCS vs. AWS as they are about the same.

Why is NYC special? Yes, it's a big market, but it's also brutally difficult to cover with wireless, both due to dense use, and urban canyons that really screw with RF. Even Verizon, who is the dominant player in that market, doesn't have perfect service everywhere in NYC.

Europe's wireless market and technology has nothing to do with T-Mobile here in the US.

PCS and AWS aren't somehow magically more efficient, that's what T-Mobile and it's predecessors own/owned.

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I live in Manhattan and have had 3G come on/off in Brooklyn and the Bronx but not in Manhattan. o_O I have wifi at home, but it's frustrating because it would come in handy at work or walking around the neighborhood.

jumpfrog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
God I wish you could downvote still.

Your phone was on EDGE at the time of that test.
They probably removed downvoting to stop trolls and nerds like you from clogging up the forums! Jeez...

----------

Wow, the intelligence of this thread is rather low.
Low intelligence?!
I apologize for having a life outside of this forum and not knowing everything about t mobile!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.