Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
For me, life is far easier thinking of webmail providers as dumb pipes. I don't really care about Gmail/Yahoo! Mail/AOL/whoever's interface. I just need your IMAP server for incoming mail/message storage (and spam filtering) and your SMTP server for outgoing mail.

+1 to everything written here. I'm fine using gmail web access for those times I don't have access at home or through iPhone, but otherwise I prefer email providers to act simply as the backend server.

Add offline access/use, which I think wasn't mentioned - if internet goes down at home, or more important if I'm traveling and don't have data access, it's great to be able to read downloaded emails on iphone, delete, respond, compose, and then sync up once online again.

BRyken

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
This seems cool. I've relied on Mail for a long time may be worth trying something new out.

mikeorchard

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
You can configure Hotmail via Exchange ActiveSync (Arstechnica: Windows Live Hotmail gets Exchange ActiveSync), and use Exchange clients such as Outlook or OS X Mail.

Exchange ActiveSync and Exchange are not the same things. The default Mail app doesn't support ActiveSync and neither does Outlook 2011 for Mac. POP3 is the only way to access Hotmail/Outlook.com mail accounts on OS X. Considering that my iPhone supports ActiveSync, I don't know why Apple can't make OS X Mail, Calender and Contacts support it too.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
If you don't like mac mail why not use a proper email client for os x like thunderbird?

This whole social 'integration' obsession is disgusting.

Hasn't Thunderbird's development stopped?

I myself don't care for social features though.

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Classic product mistake

Visually enticing splash screen and an application icon. Looks like someone tried to wrap an entire application around a design concept. Very sparse information on the development blog. Unfortunately, pretty screenshots (real or not) aren't necessarily evidence of real progress. Personally I don't care one way or the other since I happen to like Mail. Hopefully this app (if it ever launches) will surpass expectations and restore the developer's credibility.

But seriously people, announce a product when it's available. Haven't we all learned this yet?

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
Looks like a beta is coming out. Anyone else get an invite last eve?
Well, I got an invitation to apply for the beta, not an actual invitation to the beta itself. The sign-up form asked stuff like who my email providers are (Gmail, iCloud, etc), presumably so they don't send out betas to people whose providers they don't support yet.

Mail.app is so underwhelming that a nice replacement would be most welcome, and I'd be willing to pay for it, but only if it supports iCloud email's instant delivery as opposed to fetching every X minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.