Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games

Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #1
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

The Walking Dead

I have noticed a lot of positive reactions to this game series, especially the finale is supposed to be very intense and satisfying.

Anyone played it? Is it the emotional ride everyone makes it out to be? Can the whole "decisions and consequences" concept be compared to Mass Effect?

I'll likely pick this up as a complete package in retail at some point. Just curious to hear some opinions from the people I trust.
Taustin Powers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

This is my favorite game of the year. It was more a visual novel than a game. Visual Novel is more often associated with Japanese games that play more like the old Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books. None of the decisions actually have a huge impact, in fact most of the decisions diverge the game only slightly and then reunite you with the "straight" path a bit later. But that's not important in my opinion. They feel like they have impact. That's important. I knew this the whole game and even still kept thinking "I wonder what would happen if I had gone the other way", knowing full well I would ultimately be where I was anyway.

There are slight variations on the ending, but nothing major. It's rare that a game makes you care about characters and this one did. A few things didn't make sense in the context of my prior decisions but I think this is true of most games.

It was certainly enjoyable to play through. I won't play it again to see what might have happened because what did happen is my story. The game is about dialogue choices and how those change others perceptions of you. It's a different genre people aren't used to and I appreciate it for that. It's not a perfect game but it's unique enough to stand apart.

Telltale's prior games were more point and click adventure than visual novel. Telltale did a wonderful job on this one and I hope they make more and improve in this genre that's newer outside of Asia.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taustin Powers View Post
I have noticed a lot of positive reactions to this game series, especially the finale is supposed to be very intense and satisfying.

Anyone played it? Is it the emotional ride everyone makes it out to be? Can the whole "decisions and consequences" concept be compared to Mass Effect?

I'll likely pick this up as a complete package in retail at some point. Just curious to hear some opinions from the people I trust.
I have it on the PS3, not played the last episode yet but so far I've been really engrossed in the game and the way the path of the game takes based on what you say and do with and to others is really impressive. There are characters that you will like and there are some that p**s you off no end a guy named Kenny keeps annoying no end in the game but there hasn't been a chance to kill him or let him die just yet.

I would defo recommend this game and I can see them making more series in the near future, but I'm not 100% if they will bring it out for retail distribution.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:22 AM   #4
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon man View Post
I would defo recommend this game and I can see them making more series in the near future, but I'm not 100% if they will bring it out for retail distribution.
Supposedly that's the plan, and rather sooner than later. I'll wait for a good deal on it though...too many games on backlog to pay full price for anything right now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/21/th...is-gamestop-e/
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:33 AM   #5
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Yeah bought the full season pass on PS3. I have played and finished episodes 1 & 2 but then grew disinterested and haven't bothered even downloading the three remaining episodes...
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2013, 02:39 AM   #6
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

It's on sale this week for €15, so I think I'm gonna pick it up!

Just not sure when I'll get around to playing it, what with Far Cry 3, Dishonored, Mass Effect 1, Arkham City, Borderlands, Dead Space 2, Journey, Limbo etc. still waiting to be finished!

Last edited by Taustin Powers; Mar 21, 2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 02:55 AM   #7
Taustin Powers
macrumors regular

I downloaded the first episode for free and played for a good hour yesterday. Really enjoying it, good characters and good voice acting. Love the graphic style!

I wish it didn't have a little timer to choose dialogue options. In the Mass Effect series, I would always discuss with my g/f which choices to make, what to say, etc. That was fun. Here, it doesn't really give us time to do that, and she can basically just watch as I make a quick choice. Not as fun for a joint experience.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Kurri
macrumors member

Its alot of fun. My wife watched me play most of it and she loved the story. Highly recommend this. Xbox live had it half off during xmas week, maybe they will run a sale again soon?
Kurri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 04:05 PM   #9
TedM
macrumors 6502

I've played a couple episodes and lost interest when the ending was spoiled for me. It seems pretty good though, but its not on the same level of mass effect. Even though I thought mass effect still left me wanting. This game is very linear. You go down your path and get a option A or B when it comes to game making decisions. The path will be only slightly different typically. The impact is still fun and the story is really grasping. I never finished it though.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 09:06 AM   #10
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

downloaded episode 1, very unique and interesting concept for a game but not for me
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:06 PM   #11
ianwuk
macrumors regular

The game got me watching the TV series for the first time. Whilst I still watch the TV series the game did it far better.
ianwuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games > Console Games