Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JVo

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Same concept applies to the second port for the SSD: while there might not be a bracket to hold a drive in place unless you order a Fusion Drive option, the port should at least be there and be usable. Will have to wait and see.

It has been suggested that the SSD will likely be of the sort used in the laptops: a "blade" with an edge connector, so standard form factor third party SSDs might not be an option, although perhaps the blades sold by places like OWC might be.

dempson

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2007
Wellington, New Zealand
Why 5400rpm drives on the 21-inch model?

Given the limited capacity options and drive speed, it looks to me like the 21.5" iMac only has enough space inside for a 2.5" drive mechanism, while the 27" iMac is using a 3.5" drive mechanism (the 27" iMac has a larger body, and I expect it is thicker in the middle).

To implement the Fusion Drive option, both models also have space for a flash module like the one used in the MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro.

I expect a 27" iMac with the 768 GB SSD option would have the same 768 GB flash module as the Retina MacBook Pro, and its 3.5" drive bay would be empty.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This is a lie.

:apple:

+1..

The only performance hit i can see is when your copying files to/from, and installing OS X/apps.

Unless people are *that* forgiving about a few seconds, "almost no difference" ya, in relation to the cache size (which only be true when your re-opening apps anyway)

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Well as I read happy fanboys comments here I become a minority here being dissapointed that entry desktop models have no chance to get ssd and that really saddens me, maybe time to move on as apple community likes it

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
*ONLY?*

ONLY?

And you're worried about spending money (which I assumed you earned yourself) on *yourself*?

Woopah!!

Yep, my Christmas stash was mostly made up of money I earned doing side jobs for people. Repairing a stone walkway, power washing a house for a friend of my mother, etc... For the first time we didn't set a budget for each other's gift, but as she got me a 3rd gen refurbed iPad as a combined birthday/Christmas present, I have since exceeded her for likewise combined purchases.

Still, nearly three grand on a computer is a large purchase, even if the money is coming out of an injury settlement (a coworker hit me with a truck, I'm more or less recovered).

Last edited:

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
So in order to get an iMac with 16gb and a Fusion drive (a single SSD doesn't seem to be an option) the minimum is $1949 - ouch!

Welp, I thought I was going to go upper-end 21.5 or lower-end 27, but these pricing tiers are an obvious slap in the face to anyone trying to moderate. HOWEVER since I've ruled out any non-iMac alternatives and am a captive audience, I guess I'm getting the high end 27 now. I'll upgrade my own ram later, get fusion, and at least consider the possibility of going i7.

Not happy about dropping this kind of cash, but I might as well really go for it now. You win, Apple, you win. Just make it quick.

That would be nice for sure.

I can't believe that we've come to the point where a high end iMac model is as much as my MacPro was in 2008. Ah well, such is life.

Ah, just keep it in perspective. My dad's first Apple II was $2100 in the early 80's. The original Mac with 9" monochrome screen and 128K RAM was $2495. And these are non inflation-adjusted prices! The original iMac in 1998 brought the price down to $1299, but the price has crept back up over the years, with optional configurations bringing us back to $2000+. Yes, I know they are high compared to today's marketplace, but the point is, Apple has always targeted the $2000 range for their desktop computers. (Again, I know they're overcharging for RAM, etc, but $2K is their sweet spot)

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
iTunes 11 :confused: November is almost coming to a end.

Good, let it be delayed indefinitely so I'm not forced to update my iTunes to make it work with the newest iOS. Once the iTunes required for the latest iOS doesn't work in Snow Leopard (watch it still work in Windows XP), I'm hosed.

Looks like everyone finally has all of that iMac news they've been whining about on iPad articles.

purfledspruce

macrumors member
May 1, 2008
Dell U2713HM (LED backlit) is available on Amazon for $717 ($799 from Dell but - unlike Apple - they often have sales). In general though, I do not get the idea of AIO except for certain applications (primarily in the kitchen - but over there PC has to have a touch screen).[/QUOTE]

Fair enough on the monitor. Also, another poster showed a cheaper one from Wal-Mart that was high resolution. So it's even cheaper than it was just a month ago. Apple's prices are very high, at least by a few hundreds of dollars. A better performing machine would be $200+ less.

I'm thinking of dropping the fusion drive to save money when I get my 27". At the moment, I think it's still going to be the AIO Apple for me, I've saved money since June of 2011 to make it "ok" in my head to spend that much on a comp. (almost ok, anyway...) Next time around, though... I dunno. I love OSX and am willing to spend some extra $$ on it, but ... ugh.

Yeah, I agree with you--AIO are best at only a few things, and a compromise at best in everything else. I really like using the iPad in the kitchen. Best AIO for cooking. I can't get the wife to use it yet, though...but considering how messy the kitchen is when she's done, maybe that's for the best!

juliazo

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
It has been suggested that the SSD will likely be of the sort used in the laptops: a "blade" with an edge connector, so standard form factor third party SSDs might not be an option, although perhaps the blades sold by places like OWC might be.

That would make sense, considering the likely "space constrains" on a thinner 21.5" model. If that's the case, here's to OWC offering updates for those soon! :D

kaellar

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012

It's not the suggestion. A photo of internals shown at the presentations clearly points out that the SSD identical to rMBP ones is used. Absolutely the same form factor.

UK prices

(with US prices in parentheses)

Base 21" model £1099
Upgrade RAM from 8GB to 16GB... £160 ($200)

High-end 21" model £1249
Upgrade RAM... see above
Upgrade processor to 3.1GHz quad core i7... £160 ($200)
Upgrade 1TB HDD to Fusion Drive... £200 ($250)

Base 27" model £1499
Upgrade RAM from 8GB to 16GB... £160 ($200)
Upgrade RAM from 8GB to 32GB... £480 ($600)
Upgrade 1TB HDD to 3TB HDD... £120 ($150)
Add Fusion to either 1TB or 3TB HDD... £200 ($250)
Replace 1TB HDD with 768GB SSD £1040 ($1300)

High-end 27" model £1699
All the above options for the base 27" model, plus
Upgrade processor to 3.4GHz quad-core i7... £160 (£200)
Upgrade graphics to GTX 680MX... £120 ($150)

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Not clear what you are talking about. PC users can get better CPUs, better RAM, better HD, better SSD, better monitors and definitely better graphics cards than what iMac has to offer (or any Mac to that matter).

If you can't tell the difference between Apple products and commodity crap, then my question is, why are you on this forum? I don't mean to be offensive, but, seriously, why are you here?

I'm thinking of dropping the fusion drive to save money when I get my 27".

The Fusion Drive was the only thing that excited me when I watched the new product presentations. Innovative technology—it will make a MASSIVE performance difference.

Not interested in thin, would prefer keeping an optical drive. If it wasn't for the Fusion Drive I would be looking out for a previous generation refurb.

juliazo

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
The Fusion Drive was the only thing that excited me when I watched the new product presentations. Innovative technology—it will make a MASSIVE performance difference.

Not interested in thin, would prefer keeping an optical drive. If it wasn't for the Fusion Drive I would be looking out for a previous generation refurb.

You might still be able to have a Fusion-like drive on that older iMac; check this article out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Since Apple appears to be cleaning house lately, can they also fire the dumb@ss who came up with an iMac design with RAM that is NOT user upgradeable? :mad:

That would be Sir Dumbass.

And consider that the core audience for the 21.5 are consumers who barely do more that online shop and read email and the 'necessity' of user upgradeable ram diminishes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.