Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
I have a purple incipio dual pro on my white 5 right now but would like something clear. So far I haven't seen a clear case that I like and think will actually protect my phone.

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
I have five cases for my iPhone 5 now. I think it is a touch harder to find a case that sets the phone off with white.

My favorites are the Speck CandyShell Grip in White, and my new case, the Twig case for iPhone 5. Both have a lip for shock protection and face down scratch protection. I like the Twig best, because the fit is near perfect, it's environmentally friendly and very unique!

The Speck has excellent shock protection, but I am all about the tactile feel of things... and no polycarbonate can quite satisfy me.

Twig:
dsc01348ll.jpg

dsc01357ax.jpg

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Thank you. Very nice case but for $40 damn!

If the case were the end all, I wouldn't mind the price so bad. I've used the case for maybe 3 days in total and am already starting to see some discoloration on the bottom edges. So if you are looking for a white case that stays white, this isn't it.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
If the case were the end all, I wouldn't mind the price so bad. I've used the case for maybe 3 days in total and am already starting to see some discoloration on the bottom edges. So if you are looking for a white case that stays white, this isn't it.

I think if I were to get it I would get the smoke one. I just ordered the spigen soft clear and see how it goes. With the air jacket it protects the phone along all edges.

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I have way too many cases. But I use this Spigen Neo Hybrid EX in Satin Silver the most.

Have this one too. It's now yellow and the band has stretched so much that it comes off by itself. Looking for a new case. Spoke with Spigen and they said it's normal. I stopped recommending it to people since.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Have this one too. It's now yellow and the band has stretched so much that it comes off by itself. Looking for a new case. Spoke with Spigen and they said it's normal. I stopped recommending it to people since.

It is made from TPU? I'm having bad luck with any white case that is rubbery or made of TPU. I haven't had the issue with stretching on the cases but the discoloration with no ability to get back to clean white is a deal breaker for me.

wandergirl

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012

Yikes, I just ordered this the other day. Not sure what to do now. How long did it take before the yellowing and loosening began?

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Yikes, I just ordered this the other day. Not sure what to do now. How long did it take before the yellowing and loosening began?

Less than a month. I loved it when it was white but now that its yellow, it's ugly. And customer service said that they made this one looser than the iPhone 4 version because customers complained. Now it's too loose.

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011

I've been using it for a month and haven't had any discoloration or stretching. Maybe you got a lemon?

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I've been using it for a month and haven't had any discoloration or stretching. Maybe you got a lemon?

In any case, customer service wrote to me that "due to the nature of the material of the silicone, it will get discolored over time. However, there is not an exact time frame as to when it will discolor as it depends on the usage." Guess that protects them from lemons

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
In any case, customer service wrote to me that "due to the nature of the material of the silicone, it will get discolored over time. However, there is not an exact time frame as to when it will discolor as it depends on the usage." Guess that protects them from lemons

Discoloration of these spigen cases were happening to the 4/4S models too, that's why I got those linear EX ones (no silicon)

lovetamarav

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2011

Yeah definitely not the best customer service response. I had an issue with my Otterbox commuter case discoloring and they sent me a new one immediately no questions asked.

PastorJeff

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Here is my white iphone with Candy Sheer with SGP Glas.tr

my9y7uju.jpg

emena2us.jpg

4ezejary.jpg

gydu8e7e.jpg

***sorry for the lack of photography skills

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I really like the Twig case for it uniqueness, but I'm more of a plain Jane girl. Just give me a decent fitting, non-yellowing white case that matches the white iphone. Is that so much to ask?

I ordered and received the Spigen soft clear and really like it but the case I received had a big scratch/dig on the upper right side of the back. Noticed it right off. I'm sending it back and reordering. If I scratch it, then I own it but I want it looking new out of the package.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
I ordered and received the Spigen soft clear and really like it but the case I received had a big scratch/dig on the upper right side of the back. Noticed it right off. I'm sending it back and reordering. If I scratch it, then I own it but I want it looking new out of the package.

That sucks but glad to hear that you like it.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
One Star Leather Goods iphone 5 sleeve

Attachments

• image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
  • image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.