Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i7QuadCoreMania

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
it can do 720p with goodplayer, no 1080p, even my ipad 3 will play those.

Nexus 7 quad core won't play 1080p smoothly either, too jittery to watch.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
i don't intend to play 1080p

it's just in case i don't want to convert a 1080p video on my Mac

if 720p is ok, that's fine for me

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Mkvs is a bit of a tricky one, the MKV is a container format, inside you'll actually find its a MP4 stream which the iPad can play just fine with hardware acceleration. The problem is apple approved apps must use the defines Public APIs o view video and not private APIs. This means to view MKVs they can't make direct calls to use the hardware. As such they fall back to software decode which is crappy. The best you can do is get a program on your computer to extract the video and audio streams from the mkv and put them into a format the iPad will like (mp4). This is lossless as all you are doing is copying the streams into another container format.

The other way is re-encode which will also work but at the cost of quality, encode CPU time etc.

Jail broken iPads can use xbmc to play MKVs with hardware acceleration at full 1080p, as can android devices that have the hardware decoders.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Just mux them into an MP4. You don't need to re-encode (which as pointed about above is time consuming, etc.), you just need to audio and video streams out of the incompatible container.

Grab a copy of the Subler (free, http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31647/subler) and it will de|re-mux a MKV file into an iOS/iTunes friendly MP4. It will also add meta-data (manually and automated), including some nice extended tags that are usually only present in iTunes downloaded media. A 2 hours movie takes < 90 seconds.

Then drop it into iTunes and you can Home Share it to your iOS devices, an Apple TV, easily move it onto an iOS device, etc.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
Just mux them into an MP4. You don't need to re-encode (which as pointed about above is time consuming, etc.), you just need to audio and video streams out of the incompatible container.

Grab a copy of the Subler (free, http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/31647/subler) and it will de|re-mux a MKV file into an iOS/iTunes friendly MP4. It will also add meta-data (manually and automated), including some nice extended tags that are usually only present in iTunes downloaded media. A 2 hours movie takes < 90 seconds.

Then drop it into iTunes and you can Home Share it to your iOS devices, an Apple TV, easily move it onto an iOS device, etc.
Helpful - thanks!

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
there is an app called HDPlayerPro ($2.99) that used to be able to play anything you threw at it. then i believe due to a threat by Apple, the app developer agreed to remove support for AC3 in exchange for allowing the app to stay in the App Store.

problem is, AC3 is the audio codec used 99% of the time for MKV containers. as a result, most of what you get from torrents now won't play audio through the app.

if you don't already have the app it means that you will get the dummy version so don't even bother. your best bet at this point is to use Handbrake and convert to mp4. a pain, i know. or just jailbreak your iOS 5.1.1 device

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
Hi

can the iPad Mini support 720p or 1080p mkv movies ?

thanks

Unfortunately you are unable to. But what I did was take the *.mkv and using handbrake convert the file to *.m4v which is accepted in iTunes for both 720p and 1080p and both works perfectly on the new iPad and the iPad mini.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
it can do 720p with goodplayer, no 1080p, even my ipad 3 will play those.

Nexus 7 quad core won't play 1080p smoothly either, too jittery to watch.

I realize this is an old thread, but it just popped up as new for me so I read it.

Why would you even bring up the Nexus 7, given the OP's question? :confused:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Buy AVplayerHd, plays all my 2gb 720p/1080p mkv's perfectly. Forget about transcoding stuff, complete waste of time unless you want to reduce file sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.