Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
macuser0123
macrumors newbie

Running Bootcamp with an ISO file

I downloaded a Windows 7 ISO file hoping i could use it to install windows to a partition via bootcamp. However, I found out that bootcamp wants me to put in a windows install disk and does not give an option to create an install disk etc. (I have a MacBook Pro with an optical drive, along with an older version of bootcamp, so making an install disk shouldn't usually be necessary). So, I looked around the forums to find a way to burn the ISO file to a dvd and make it bootable, but everything i have tried hasn't worked. I mounted the ISO to the desktop and then burned the contents of the ISO to a dvd, then tried to install via the disk. It comes up saying that there is no bootable disk available and I should put in a install disk to continue. Can anyone help me make my install disk correctly? I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), running Snow Leopard
macuser0123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:10 AM   #2
robbieduncan

Where did you get this ISO from?
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser0123 View Post
I downloaded a Windows 7 ISO file hoping i could use it to install windows to a partition via bootcamp. However, I found out that bootcamp wants me to put in a windows install disk and does not give an option to create an install disk etc. (I have a MacBook Pro with an optical drive, along with an older version of bootcamp, so making an install disk shouldn't usually be necessary). So, I looked around the forums to find a way to burn the ISO file to a dvd and make it bootable, but everything i have tried hasn't worked. I mounted the ISO to the desktop and then burned the contents of the ISO to a dvd, then tried to install via the disk. It comes up saying that there is no bootable disk available and I should put in a install disk to continue. Can anyone help me make my install disk correctly? I have a MacBook Pro (Mid 2010), running Snow Leopard
You want to just drag the ISO file to Disk Utility and then click Burn. Don't open it or anything like that.

But really, you should go buy a legit copy of Windows.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:07 AM   #4
funkdoctor
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan View Post
Where did you get this ISO from?
You can download them right from Microsoft.
funkdoctor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 05:48 AM   #5
robbieduncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdoctor View Post
You can download them right from Microsoft.
So I assume they have instructions on what to do with them too then?
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:02 AM   #6
Cidtek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser0123 View Post
Your ISO is probably just fine. It's the non bootable DVD thats the problem as Windows install disks have to be bootable. Here is a link to a site that explains how to use the official MS iso utility to create a bootable Win 7 USB stick or DVD.

http://www.guidingtech.com/2589/boot...iso-windows-7/
Cidtek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:46 AM   #7
awadeee
macrumors 68020

Just open the ISO in Disk Utility and right click on it once it's in the sidebar and click something to the effect of "Burn ISO" and then if you've got a blank DVD in the drive, it'll start burning, or else it will prompt you to insert disc.

Hope this helps.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac