Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I see why this question is being asked but it isn't entirely fair.

You need to take into consideration:

1) The students themselves. What else have they got on their application? How driven are they? What are their goals? Someone with a social science degree can still be competitive.

2) Where they got their degree from. I honestly think this counts to some extent. I'm not talking about Ivy League or Russell Group universities here, but there are too many sub-par institutions that accept students regardless of academic achievement just to rake in tuition fees.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
1) The students themselves. What else have they got on their application? How driven are they? What are their goals? Someone with a social science degree can still be competitive.

I think that's the most important. Heck, I only graduated in 2011, and even then internships were still being adopted as 'mandatory' in departments. Technically, I never had one. I did have a 6 credit research seminar at the Newberry Library, but it was a class/research seminar, not an internship.

However, I did work my entire 4 years in college. HS Panera job turned into local college Panera job, which turned into a student HR Administrative Assistant and that got me in the loop with on-campus work. I found a summer job working for the university Conference Services department (free room, board, and full-time hourly? Yes x3), which grew into an academic year office job for them and then a second summer managing directly 25 and indirectly another 40 student workers.

So when I graduated, I had a ton of actual real world experience - A/P, A/R, invoicing, administrative, event planning, customer service, managing, leadership, etc. Not even considering the connections I made (and still keep in touch with) at the university. That's pretty much the only way a recent grad can snag a job at a university. I was offered one, but I already had my non-profit job lined up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.