Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:48 AM   #51
musty345
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn9design View Post

The only thing worse than buying something because everyone else has it is NOT buying something because everyone else has it. I am not going to let trends dictate what I will and will not buy. If tomorrow Britney spears puts out the most amazing album I have ever heard I will be the first one in line. Denying yourself the option of trying something because it's "trendy" is the biggest sell out of all.
You're right, you shouldn't avoid something just because it's trendy. The point I was trying to make was that most people buy them because they are trendy and avoid even considering other headphones.

Quote:
After about 11 or 12 months of use I had a problem with my beats (the build quality is damn poor in regards to the plastic head-band area). I called them up and had a brand new pair at my doorstep in under a week. While I can't remember anything spectacular about their customer service, I also can't think of any problems I had either. I emailed them my receipt and shipped them my broken ones, they sent me back a brand new pair a few days later. Works for me.
Glad to hear you had a better experience with their customer support. The last time I contacted them was about two years ago and ever since then I've avoided them and just contacted the store who were much less hassle.

Quote:
A product like the Beats line of headphones doesn't sell millions of units just by being a horrible product. They introduced a higher level of quality than most people were used to in a stylish form to people who had previously only owned the free white earbuds apple hands out with its iPod line. While they couldn't compete with quality reference sounds they raised the bar considerably for non-audophiles who were looking for something that sounded good and looked good. I can say without a doubt that when released I thought the beats were a good looking pair of headphones and when I listened to an old song through them for the first time I had never heard anything that crisp and clear before.
You're right they didn't sell millions just by being a horrible product, they sold it through their very effective marketing campaign. Raising the bar from the included Apple earphones isn't much of an achievement, someone once joked that the Apple earphones are included just to test if your iPhone/iPod actually works, not to listen to music with.

Also, you used the Studios which I've heard are a lot better than their Solo HDs and earphones but even they are overpriced and have fundamental flaws (you can't listen to any music without batteries).
21.5" iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPod Classic
musty345 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:06 AM   #52
espiritujo
macrumors member

I see so many people with these headphones nowadays. I tried all three of them and I thought they were ok. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I don't see how these headphones would be worth the money that they are. Having said that, they do look like really nice, and the fact that you can choose the different colors is what attracts the basic consumer. For now, I'll just stick to my white Apple earphones. Nothing fancy, but it's all that I really need.

2012 15' MBP High Res AG 2.6 i7 8gb 750gb HD
espiritujo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:46 PM   #53
chibiterasu
macrumors 6502

With so many fakes around (ebay) a lot of people who you dont want to be associated with (or chav's) now have them enough said.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:16 PM   #54
BugBytes
macrumors regular

I personally don't consider Beats an option because they are so expensive. However, an intern left a pair of Beats at one of my job's clients and I was able to obtain a pair for free (I know, I'm lucky). So far they've worked great for several months I believe, so I can't complain about anything except the price. They're definitely better than any other headphones I've tried, but probably three times as expensive at least.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:04 PM   #55
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

lol all you guys are delusional, don't like it don't buy it, and most DJs n guys that are into music don't have beats, but of course some do.

its more like jewelry and for looks than for professional use, but of course it can be used professionally.

i like how they look, they look dope and they give out such a clean sound

i got the beats pros, i used to have studios, but the pros have so much bass in em, its crazy.

and the people that have broken them, I've seen people break them, its because your careless, and if you have the solos yea their fragile, but you pay over 150 for them, so you should be responsible.

i don't go to they gym with them, and I've seen douches break theirs at the gym, what idiots, you know how flimsy the solos are and yet they still wear it when working out. -_-

all in all they look dope, and i hardly see them going out of business.

lol it makes you look like a sheep? ANYTHING popular at the moment can make you look like a sheep. *cough* *cough* Mac and iPhones *cough* *cough*

lol like i said most guys i know that are into music professionally don't have beats, but yea some do.

anyways i got my studios for free, sold them for 350 (to basically an uncle so he offered to pay more and refused to pay me less)

so spent 50 more dollars for my beat pros, so i basically only payed 50 dollars for my beats, so I feel no guilt
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:14 PM   #56
mjn298
macrumors regular

I've never used them but I assume they sound pleasing for their intended music but anyone doing production would be better off w/ some flat monitoring headphones or (even better but not always feasible) monitor speakers.

But yeah they do appear wildly overpriced compared to some of the AKGs, ATs and Senns you can get in that price range (and much lower).
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:28 PM   #57
TMRaven
macrumors 68020

The beats are not clean sounding at all. I can show you their CSD waterfall plots and harmonic distortion graphs to say otherwise.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:37 PM   #58
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a

They are ugly.... /thread
HE15MAN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:22 PM   #59
Bilalo
macrumors 6502

Bowers and wilkins p5 or p3 ( b&w p5-p3) are the best. P5 are better but p3 more fashionable, smaller, and enough unless you produce music I guess both are also cheaper
Bilalo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:17 PM   #60
rboy505
macrumors member

Monster is now suing everyone calling themselves a "Dr".
rboy505 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:08 AM   #61
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

lol this thread is equivalent to " Why Not To Buy Apple Computers"

yea of course you can get a computer half the price with the same specs (minus retina display)
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:14 AM   #62
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon3y View Post
lol this thread is equivalent to " Why Not To Buy Apple Computers"
Not really, it's more like 'Why not to waste your money on headphones with brilliant marketing and terrible sound'.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:36 AM   #63
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assimilated View Post
Not really, it's more like 'Why not to waste your money on headphones with brilliant marketing and terrible sound'.

lol terrible sound? the sound is great and i love the strong bass, it doens't bump too hard for it to sound nasty, and it isn't too weak.

its perfect for hiphop, but of course u can get headphones not even quarter of the price and have close to same quality.

but to say it has terrible sound is just flat out hating, its not as clear as bose and that other brand (the one that musical professionals use a lot)

but its pretty damn good, and its for bumpin rap. obviously its not going to have that same crisp clear sound has bose.

you buy it for the looks and sound.

its modern jewelery, like a smartphone.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:40 AM   #64
Benbikeman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by loon3y View Post
the sound is great
Find one audiophile site review saying so.

Quote:
you buy it for the looks and sound.
People buy them for the fashion statement and sleb culture.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:26 AM   #65
KimJongEun
macrumors newbie

Sennheiser HD598

Cost less but sound MUCH MUCH better. They look pretty cool too
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:10 PM   #66
KoG506
macrumors member

I suggest conducting a blind test. The subject listens to music with different headphones but they are NOT allow to see the headphones.

Beats vs Sennheiser HD598
KoG506 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:06 AM   #67
Gofre
macrumors regular

Me; "Beats by Dr are an inferior product to headphones half their price on the market in terms of around quality."
Person B; "You're just jealous that you can't afford them"
Me; "I own a pair of 400 custom IEMs, 230 full sized headphones, a 180 set of on-ears and three more pairs hovering around the 100 price point, and that's before amps and DACs"
Person B; "Nerd, you're just mad that you wasted that money when you could have bought Beats"

After having that same conversation at least three times with different people (my friend enjoys trolling me by telling people who have Beats that I hate them), I've since given up trying to reason with people who own them.
Gofre is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:46 PM   #68
pe93co
macrumors member

Never liked Beats By Dre, its all a hype and exactly, a neckwarmer..
Got a Tour for birthday this July and my earbuds went missing so I used it.
Knowing from various sources that they break so easily, I was extremely gentle with my use. Yet, it broke within a month of careful use.
The control talk just completely died and the mic only works half of the time.
And yesterday the right bud wont even have any sounds unless i increase the volume to which my eardrums can go bleeding..
So I called them and had it sent in for exchange today.
gonna sell it on ebay after I get my replacement, some stupid teenager will sure be happier with it than I would.

On the other hand, got the new Apple earpods today from Bestbuy.
For $30, the quality is truly amazing.
And honestly, the bass sounds much better than the stupid Tour had to offer.
I'm absolutely in love with them. Anybody else bought the Earpods yet??
pe93co is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #69
MoJo59er
macrumors newbie

I use the Bose Ae2 headphones, for the reasonable price, and the all around quality, I really like this line of Bose headphones. Now people have given me flak about Bose being over rated, or that Bose puts too much money towards marketing, blab bla bla, etc. etc.. Now people who I know who use beats, get way more flak for owning them than I do. When I first tried the big over ear beats, the first thing that came to mind was how cheap they felt. They felt as if they would break if I dropped them. Now sound quality, it was ok, not terrible, but not even worth close to $400 or whatever they are.

I agree that they are trendy, and are often used more as neck warmers than head phones. I think people who buy beats for them selves are just ignorant, nothing wrong with that, they just don't know the vast variety of other brands they could be using, that are of much better quality. Just because all the sports players, and pop stars wear them, doesn't make them good, they just make you look trendy. Its a choice of style over quality when someone want's beats. If anyone is reading this, and considering buying them, please consider and research other good quality brands. They can look just as cool and sound a whole lot better.
MoJo59er is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:59 PM   #70
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
I don't know if this is still a problem for newer Beats models but the early ones break really easily. Specifically the (cheap/flimsy) plastic headband. Almost every friend I know who has them had them break sooner or later.

I'm not a true "audiophile" but I do hear the difference between lossy MP3 files and lossless ALAC/FLAC files. I also appreciate high-end audio equipment like DACs and headphone amps. In my opinion, Beats are just way overrated, overhyped and underwhelming. The NC doesn't hold a candle compared to Bose QC 15s (which I have). The bass is messy and undefined. The highs are shallow and mids are just muddy. I wouldn't buy Beats for build quality or audio quality or NC. But I do admit Beats look very fashionable and for most young people, it's all about looking cool.

That said, I do own a more "audiophile" grade pair of headphones, the Shure SRH440. Audio reproduction is "flat" but it plays whatever the original producer intended it to be heard. It's pretty easy to adjust the EQ and make the bass more boomy or voices more prominent. Easy enough for the average joe. You don't need to shell out an extra $200+ for a pair of $300 Beats just to get some built-in EQ settings.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe93co View Post
... On the other hand, got the new Apple earpods today from Bestbuy.
For $30, the quality is truly amazing.
And honestly, the bass sounds much better than the stupid Tour had to offer.
I'm absolutely in love with them. Anybody else bought the Earpods yet??
EarPods are great. Not "audiophile" great of course, but the price/audio quality ratio is relatively high compared to Beats. I also agree with the stuff you said before that quote. More often than not, people are wearing Beats around their necks and not actually using them to listen to music.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 02:14 PM   #71
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilalo View Post
Bowers and wilkins p5 or p3 ( b&w p5-p3) are the best. P5 are better but p3 more fashionable, smaller, and enough unless you produce music I guess both are also cheaper
Last year, I bought both the Bowers & Wilkins P3 and the Bowers & Wilkins P5; they are easily the best headphones I have ever had; great sound, superb build, very stylish, extremely comfortable, and very, very portable. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbikeman View Post
Exactly. I completely agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benbikeman View Post
Find one audiophile site review saying so.

People buy them for the fashion statement and sleb culture.
They do, unfortunately. At present, many of my colleagues (who admit that they know better and accept that Beats are dreadful, a triumph of hype and marketing over substance) have bought Beats for their kids; as one guy put it when telling me of why he had bought his son a present of a pair of Beats headphones, 'it's the first time my son has treated me with any sort of interest for ages; he smiled instead of grunting. He's thrilled because he'll get respect at school wearing these because the kids think they are cool. Yes, I know they're awful, but what can you do?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimJongEun View Post
Sennheiser HD598

Cost less but sound MUCH MUCH better. They look pretty cool too
Agreed.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:02 PM   #72
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
... They do, unfortunately. At present, many of my colleagues (who admit that they know better and accept that Beats are dreadful, a triumph of hype and marketing over substance) have bought Beats for their kids; as one guy put it when telling me of why he had bought his son a present of a pair of Beats headphones, 'it's the first time my son has treated me with any sort of interest for ages; he smiled instead of grunting. He's thrilled because he'll get respect at school wearing these because the kids think they are cool. Yes, I know they're awful, but what can you do? ...
LOL! Other kids think it's cool so therefore it must be cool right?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:09 AM   #73
Wardenski
macrumors 6502

Audio is just one of those areas where BS spreads easily since its difficult to compare peoples perceptions of sound. Beats is just one example.

I used to own a Logitech Z2300 which I used to own had bass which I initially thought was good, then I bought a proper subwoofer (BK xls200) and it sounded completely different because it distorts much less than the Logitech did - proper bass.
Wardenski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 07:38 PM   #74
hogger129
macrumors newbie

They are a rip off. $150 will buy you Audio Technica ATH-M50 which is a much better sounding headphone and bassheads will like it. If you're not a basshead, try the Sennheiser HD558.

Dr. Dre Beats and stuff like that seem like more of a fashion accessory than anything. But for the price they sell, I would rather get a watch or some new threads instead of having a pair of headphones hanging around my neck like an idiot.
hogger129 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 05:59 AM   #75
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJo59er View Post
I use the Bose Ae2 headphones, for the reasonable price, and the all around quality, I really like this line of Bose headphones. Now people have given me flak about Bose being over rated, or that Bose puts too much money towards marketing, blab bla bla, etc. etc.. Now people who I know who use beats, get way more flak for owning them than I do. When I first tried the big over ear beats, the first thing that came to mind was how cheap they felt. They felt as if they would break if I dropped them. Now sound quality, it was ok, not terrible, but not even worth close to $400 or whatever they are.

I agree that they are trendy, and are often used more as neck warmers than head phones. I think people who buy beats for them selves are just ignorant, nothing wrong with that, they just don't know the vast variety of other brands they could be using, that are of much better quality. Just because all the sports players, and pop stars wear them, doesn't make them good, they just make you look trendy. Its a choice of style over quality when someone want's beats. If anyone is reading this, and considering buying them, please consider and research other good quality brands. They can look just as cool and sound a whole lot better.
I have tried demos of some Bose headphones at Target and was really impressed. The pure clarity was just awesome. I'm not sure which exact model, but I think it cost about $150 for over-the-ear. I have done the same test with a Beats set. I can't recall being wowed. If I was, certainly not at the price.

Still, I'm sitting here using those old Apple earbuds because I left my ear pods at work. They're not HORRIBLE, but I know better stuff exists. Just wish decent audio didn't cost as much as the latest iPhone on which I will probably store most of the music.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Digital Audio

Tags
beats by dre, headphones