Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 PM   #1
cthesky
macrumors member

Should IPad app need support all interface orientations?

Hi all,

Is it a requirement for an IPad application to support all interface orientations? Will an app being rejected if not support multiple orientations? Will it get rejected if it is just support Portrait orientation only?

Appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks.
cthesky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:35 PM   #2
xStep
macrumors 68000

You can support one or more orientations. Apple doesn't insist all are supported and in fact they make such limited apps.
xStep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:57 PM   #3
MattInOz
macrumors 68030

Still you should support both versions of the orientation you do support especially Portrait (home button top) I've seen a lot of portrait only (home button bottom) apps, they don't last very long unless they are really good.

Sorry more from a user perspective than any requirement.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:30 AM   #4
jnoxx
macrumors 65816

They used to reject apps (we've had it), if you only support 1 orientation, with that I mean, if you have landscape left, you also should support landscape right etc. But when we were working with FLEX, it had rotating issues, that's when we discovered we got rejected for that reason.
I don't know the rules about it now, but the guy above gave some good advice.

iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPad 2, iPhone 3G,4,5, iMac 24", Mac Mini Last gen, Macbook Pro Retina with Dell U2711
jnoxx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:48 PM   #5
xStep
macrumors 68000

I was just playing with several of Apple's apps on my iPhone. Camera app and Voice Memos are the only two I found that support upside down portrait mode. Several do not support landscape. As a user I find this annoying. If you can support the other orientations, and it makes sense, add this nicety for your users who will appreciate it.

The Phone app only supports one orientation, right side up portrait. Given the expected use, that makes sense for when you will use the phone. It essentially forces you to keep the orientation correct for phone calls.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming