Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Macgeekster
macrumors newbie

Said goodby to my iPhone 5

So today I finally got annoyed enough with my Verizon iPhone 5 that I returned it. Yes, it's thinner and lighter as well as with LTE thus a faster web browsing experience, but it has its quirks also.
The battery life was not even as good as my almost 2 yr old iPhone 4.
May it be the iOS update, but for the last week and a half the phone would freeze randomly and the camera occasionally went nuts.
So I went back to my iPhone 4. Maybe I will look into the next iPhone release, but unfortunately this wasn't it.- I know, I may be the only one :/
Macgeekster is offline   7
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:32 PM   #2
Serelus
macrumors Demi-God

How long did you own your particular iPhone?
You see the battery on the iPhone 5 as with all iPhones, need to get used to longterm use. In fact the battery life should gradually increase over the first few months of use.
This is why people tell you to charge it to a 100% and use it until it dies a few times. It WILL extend battery life.
I can't seem to replicate your camera problems though, enjoy your iPhone 4.
Serelus is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Hope it works out for you then.
How is it always people with 1-2 posts that post threads like these?
Ok everyone bye. I'm leaving the iPhone 5 sucks etc...
Goodbye then
Applejuiced is offline   10
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:40 PM   #4
louis.b
Banned

Bye bye.
louis.b is offline   5
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Macgeekster
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Hope it works out for you then.
How is it always people with 1-2 posts that post threads like these?
Ok everyone bye. I'm leaving the iPhone 5 sucks etc...
Goodbye then
I don't normally get on these sites to post. I was simply making a post to state that, unlike many (I suppose), I was unhappy with the new version of the iPhone. No big deal.

I had the phone for about 5 weeks. Battery life seemed to only get worse. Always charged to 100% and let drain to about 5% before recharging.
Didn't mean to cause an issue. I'm sure the iPhone 5 is great for most people, but, to me, wasn't worth the hype. I am a huge apple fan, too!
Anyway, I will probably still post on the forum since I still do have an iPhone, ipad, iPod, and MacBook.
Macgeekster is offline   1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:45 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Awesome balls. Maybe the iPhone 5s will be good for you but probably not.
GoCubsGo is offline   2
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:46 PM   #7
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgeekster View Post
I don't normally get on these sites to post. I was simply making a post to state that, unlike many (I suppose), I was unhappy with the new version of the iPhone. No big deal.

I had the phone for about 5 weeks. Battery life seemed to only get worse. Always charged to 100% and let drain to about 5% before recharging.
Didn't mean to cause an issue. I'm sure the iPhone 5 is great for most people, but, to me, wasn't worth the hype. I am a huge apple fan, too!
Anyway, I will probably still post on the forum since I still do have an iPhone, ipad, iPod, and MacBook.
Yours could of been added to any number of threads on the exact same topic. Glad you're happy.
AFDoc is offline   4
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:49 PM   #8
KojiH
macrumors regular

I thought the same thing with the battery life on my iPhone 5 compared to my 2 year old iPhone 4. That was until I read about calibrating the battery meter on the iPhone 5.

I think the most appropriate comparison is with the fuel gauges in some cars where the meter reading is non-linear. In other words the rate at which it drops is not necessarily related to the amount left in the tank.

On my iPhone 5 the battery would seemingly drop 10% within an hour or two of unplugging it even though it was doing NOTHING. The iPhone 5's meter would appear to dip dangerously low by mid afternoon whereas on my iPhone 4 I would only be at 50% with the same useage.

This was all until I followed the recommendations I saw here on the forums. First I charged the iPhone 5 to 100%. Then I ran it down past all of the battery life warnings with streaming video until it went to 0% and shut itself down. I noticed that the last few percent seemed to last a really, really, really long time. Then I charged it back up to 100%.

Now, post calibration the battery meter is much more linear and I get just as much if not more battery life as my old iPhone 4.
KojiH is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:37 PM   #9
darster
macrumors 68000

I had the iPhone 4 on verizon and now the iPhone 5. Although the 4 was good, it's a dog compared to the 5. LTE, better camera, faster, faster wifi speeds, better screen, and of course, better battery. Night and day.
darster is offline   3
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:42 PM   #10
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020

Thanks for updating us! I stopped my Christmas shopping to read this?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:45 PM   #11
YungMoola94
macrumors regular

OMG NO WAYYY. That'z sssoooo lameeee
YungMoola94 is offline   3
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:46 PM   #12
Haifisch
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KojiH View Post
I thought the same thing with the battery life on my iPhone 5 compared to my 2 year old iPhone 4. That was until I read about calibrating the battery meter on the iPhone 5.

I think the most appropriate comparison is with the fuel gauges in some cars where the meter reading is non-linear. In other words the rate at which it drops is not necessarily related to the amount left in the tank.

On my iPhone 5 the battery would seemingly drop 10% within an hour or two of unplugging it even though it was doing NOTHING. The iPhone 5's meter would appear to dip dangerously low by mid afternoon whereas on my iPhone 4 I would only be at 50% with the same useage.

This was all until I followed the recommendations I saw here on the forums. First I charged the iPhone 5 to 100%. Then I ran it down past all of the battery life warnings with streaming video until it went to 0% and shut itself down. I noticed that the last few percent seemed to last a really, really, really long time. Then I charged it back up to 100%.

Now, post calibration the battery meter is much more linear and I get just as much if not more battery life as my old iPhone 4.
My experience mirrors yours. My first two days was filled with buyer's remorse cuz of battery life. After cycling, it was fine.
Haifisch is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:52 PM   #13
Radiating
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So today I finally got annoyed enough with my Verizon iPhone 5 that I returned it. Yes, it's thinner and lighter as well as with LTE thus a faster web browsing experience, but it has its quirks also.
The battery life was not even as good as my almost 2 yr old iPhone 4.
May it be the iOS update, but for the last week and a half the phone would freeze randomly and the camera occasionally went nuts.
So I went back to my iPhone 4. Maybe I will look into the next iPhone release, but unfortunately this wasn't it.- I know, I may be the only one :/
You had a deffective model. You don't judge a car by how it performs when it's been hit with a sledgehammer and you don't judge a deffective phone as an example for the rest.

Regarding the battery life, several people have had issues with with a bug in the battery life including myself where you need to reset certain settings or restore as new. My iPhone 5 had terrible battery life before I did this and now it has identical battery life to my 4S. This is a VERY common issue. The iPhone 5 and iPhone 4/4S should have nearly identical battery life being that they have nearly identical battery size and tested battery life in virtually all situations.

Simply put your reaction to the situation was illogical and flawed.

Last edited by Radiating; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:28 PM.
Radiating is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:20 PM   #14
VandyChem2009
Banned

Quote:

5 weeks and you were able to return it? Please tell me how you managed that?
VandyChem2009 is offline   1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Jordan921
macrumors 68030

Could have returned it and gotten another one.
Jordan921 is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:06 PM   #16
sahnjuro
macrumors member

Statistically speaking someone will always end up with an ip5 that is a lemon.
sahnjuro is offline   1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
5 weeks and you were able to return it? Please tell me how you managed that?
That might indicate something about this thread...

Last edited by Applejuiced; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
Applejuiced is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:55 PM   #18
xA4Hx
macrumors member

I have had great battery life , way longer then sg3 that I had before iPhone 5 came out.
xA4Hx is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #19
ladytonya
macrumors 6502

No gadget is perfect, we all get what works for us. Me, I love my iPhone 5! It's fast in Verizon's LTE network, it has an amazing camera, and my battery life has been way better than my 4 ever was. I'm a very happy user, but to each their own. Like someone said, though, would love to know how you took it back after 5 weeks. Return policy is either 30 days or 14, depending in where you got it no think someone is exaggerating!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:58 PM   #20
sevendust
macrumors newbie

I'm satisfied with my ip5's battery life and the good thing about it was it also charges fast! so no big deal for me
sevendust is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 PM   #21
njean777
macrumors 6502

I feel sorry that you went from LTE to verizons garbage that they call 3g. Other then that, you should have reset all settings and let the battery fully drain to where it shuts itself off and then do a full recharge.
njean777 is offline   1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:06 PM   #22
Xgm541
macrumors 6502a

Perhaps your battery life sucked because you were using it motr
iPad 3 16GB.
Xgm541 is offline   1
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:36 PM   #23
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

OP, let us know when you decide to rebuy the iPhone 5.
andyx3x is offline   1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:01 AM   #24
greenchiliman
macrumors 6502

And in other threads we have people returning 10, 15, 20 iphones because they weren't perfect...wow
greenchiliman is offline   1
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:34 AM   #25
Skika
macrumors 68020

Stop the press.

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland