Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:31 PM   #51
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Here's some fodder for the discussion:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Also, OP, I've never done this but I've read about doing it this way: Call Apple customer service number. Explain to them what's going on (be polite). I've heard they will actually get in touch with your local Apple retail store to ensure your trip isn't wasted and your "genius" does what they should.

It's worth a shot. Sure beats another wasted trip and disappointment.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:37 PM   #52
macjoshua
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclardy View Post
I have had an iPad replaced from a dead pixel. But I have to ask...why is it your third iPhone 5? What did you get the other two replaced for?
The one I got on launch day came out of the box with two large dents on the back of it. The second one had light leak and a bunch of debris under the glass/screen.
macjoshua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:43 PM   #53
Jalopybox
Banned

One dead pixel is grounds for replacement, regardless what that genius told you. Call applecare.
Jalopybox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:37 PM   #54
webworks415
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
While it is normal for these types of screens to exhibit dead pixels it doesn't mean you have to live with it. Apple policy states that 1 dead pixel on an iPhone is too many. That being the case if you have a dead pixel you should be able to replace it. If you don't care and the dead pixel is in a location your eyes aren't scanning constantly you won't notice, but if that sucker is in the middle or the screen or an obnoxious color you will be fixated by it no matter how little you care.
I remember buying a Gameboy Advance SP and there were a few dead pixels which were white, and looked like dust spots on the screen. It bugged me so much, I returned it twice. I too am very anal about my electronics and want them to be perfect...I notice about 2 tiny red pixels on my screen, but I know that I risk just getting another replacement with the same problem. I guess it doesn't bother me so much because its dark and not so noticeable.
webworks415 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:14 PM   #55
jsamuelson
macrumors member

I had a stuck green pixel on my first iPhone 5 which drove me nuts. I really tried to live with it but no go. Exchanged with zero issues for a new iPhone which is perfect. A single dead/stuck pixel is sufficient for an exchange according to Apple's own policies.
jsamuelson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:39 PM   #56
Radiating
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjoshua View Post
Took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar, who told me the dead pixel on my screen is within spec. I can't handle Apple's terrible QC anymore - this is my third iPhone 5. I have a Nexus 7 under the tree (replacing my iPad 3). I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

I almost can't believe it. I've sold so many people on Apple products over the years. Sad to see it come to this.
Apple has the highest quality control in the industry. Most manufacturers consider 1-4 or 1-6 dead pixels within spec. Apple considers 1-3 dead pixels within spec.

Furthermore Apple will replace your phone with 1 dead pixel if you insist. Other manufacturers will not replace your phone if it is within spec.

Simply put your your chosen reaction to this situation is absurd and will result in the exact opposite of what you wish to achieve. Just go in to an Apple Store and insist if it really bothers you.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:03 PM   #57
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben824 View Post
Do you know what kind of hell I had to go through to first get in touch with Boobala Boobala aka "Kevin" in India run through the same 23 questions to then talk to a supervisor who asked me another 10 questions and then we finally got to where we would make arrangements for it to be sent in.
Dell's insistence on that script has some pretty epic status where I work. We once purchased a few hundred PCs from them to deploy to our staff and one of them arrived with a nice puncture through the box, where a shipping worker apparently drove a forklift through it, destroying the computer inside.

Despite attempts to explain the situation, I kid you not, the tech support rep doggedly kept to the script.

"Sir, and what do you see on the screen when you attempt to power up the system?"

"I see nothing on the screen, probably owing to the huge hole punched clean through the case."

"And if you unplug the system and plug it back in, and try booting once again, what do you see?"

"A HUUUUUUUUGE HOOOOOOOLLLLEEEE..."

Even on on Dell's best day, their tech support can't hold a candle to Apple's on their worst day.

----------

Quote:
Took my iPhone 5 to the Genius Bar, who told me the dead pixel on my screen is within spec. I can't handle Apple's terrible QC anymore - this is my third iPhone 5. I have a Nexus 7 under the tree (replacing my iPad 3). I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

I almost can't believe it. I've sold so many people on Apple products over the years. Sad to see it come to this.
Good luck with Android.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:03 PM   #58
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:

I have a Nexus 7 and a Nexus 4.

Quite frankly I'm beyond thrilled with these two. Always one to set modest expectations no matter what brand, I must say Google has truly elevated Androids performance with these two.

You are going to be very happy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:06 PM   #59
Preed08
macrumors regular

You must have gotten an anal genius, cause i just got my 32gb 5 (that i dropped and chipped the glass along with other scuffs) replaced because of dust in the camera module..try again id say
Preed08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:07 PM   #60
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Good luck with Android.
That's the beauty of it. No luck needed for Android. Its excellent
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:12 PM   #61
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I had no idea QC was that bad.
It's not.
s15119 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:13 PM   #62
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Is a rational conversation about defects really that bad?
What's there to discuss? The OP wants to rant about his decision to leave. It's not my nor anyone else's job to beg for him to change his mind. He's made up his mind about Apple's QC, and that's his prerogative.

Somehow, despite millions of customers (including myself and many others on here) having perfectly fine iPhones within 0-1 exchanges, there are these people who exchange their iPhones 5, 10, 15+ times and still aren't happy. And no, this is not a phenomenon specific to the iPhone 5:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1271439

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1271576

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1078143

Either certain people are just really unlucky, or something else is going on here.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
That's the beauty of it. No luck needed for Android. Its excellent
Riiiiiight. Apparently you don't need the Month of December either with Android. Or Bluetooth. Or auto brightness, or a camera, or good battery life....

Last edited by scaredpoet; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:19 PM   #63
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

So to the OP: go back an try again. I had one dead pixel on my 4S last year and got it replace no questions asked.
lunaoso is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 PM   #64
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:

Either certain people are just really unlucky, or something else is going on here.

----------

Riiiiiight. Apparently you don't need the Month of December either with Android. Or Bluetooth. Or auto brightness, or a camera, or good battery life....
LMAO
Besides that everything is gravy with androids.
Its excellent and everything works great with no bugs
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:31 PM   #65
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation

Quote:
Dell's insistence on that script has some pretty epic status where I work. We once purchased a few hundred PCs from them to deploy to our staff and one of them arrived with a nice puncture through the box, where a shipping worker apparently drove a forklift through it, destroying the computer inside.

Despite attempts to explain the situation, I kid you not, the tech support rep doggedly kept to the script.

"Sir, and what do you see on the screen when you attempt to power up the system?"

"I see nothing on the screen, probably owing to the huge hole punched clean through the case."

"And if you unplug the system and plug it back in, and try booting once again, what do you see?"

"A HUUUUUUUUGE HOOOOOOOLLLLEEEE..."

Even on on Dell's best day, their tech support can't hold a candle to Apple's on their worst day.

----------

Good luck with Android.
That Dell incident was an issue for customer service, not their support line. But it makes for an amusing call!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:43 PM   #66
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
I'll be switching to Android when my phone contract is up.

Why wait. Sell the iPhone, buy an android device.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:55 PM   #67
BFizzzle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Why wait. Sell the iPhone, buy an android device.
because deep down he still likes the iphone. just wants to complain
BFizzzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:11 PM   #68
bowlerman625
macrumors 68020

so long, farewell
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:05 PM   #69
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
This might be a dumb question, so bear with me...

Why wouldn't a screen shot display the dead pixel?
bjb.butler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:08 PM   #70
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
This might be a dumb question, so bear with me...

Why wouldn't a screen shot display the dead pixel?
Uhm, well, a dead pixel is a pixel that is not functioning on the physical screen itself. On the hardware.

A screenshot from the phone itself takes an image on the software side. The software doesn't know nor care if you have dead pixels, so it'll always show a perfect image of what the phone THINKS is being displayed on the screen. Same is true of taking a screen shot using a phone with a cracked screen: the software has no idea your screen is cracked, and isn't capable of replicating that.

Put another way: imagine having a blown speaker. You can't show us what the blown speaker sounds like by giving someone the CD or MP3 file you played through the stereo, because that music recording has nothing to do with the speaker being blown. You'd have to get another audio recorder, play the music through the blown speaker and re-record it that way.

Likewise, the only way to photograph a dead pixel is using a camera pointed at the screen.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:21 PM.
scaredpoet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:09 AM   #71
b0bab0i
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
1176 pixels on the iphone 5 screen and you can see 1 that's dead?
Maybe its more than one or your eye probably wont be able to spot it.
I'd go back and speak to a manager. They should replace it for you.
Cousins iPhone 5 has a pixel out. It looks like a red dot that's always there.
b0bab0i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:17 AM   #72
wordoflife
macrumors 604

A lot of times you get Geniuses that are helpful and some that are unhelpful. Unfortunately, it depends on their mood during the day.

There are many reasons as to why someone would jump to Android, but I wouldn't let the Genius experience be one of them.
wordoflife is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone