Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #1
thoma011
macrumors newbie

Daughter wiped out my contacts via iCloud

My daughter just got an iphone 4s, and was setting up her phone today using my iTunes account (by accident). She synced her phone on her PC laptop, and noticed that she had all of my contacts now on her new phone. She decided to delete these contacts.

I noticed today that my iphone 4 now had all of her contacts on it, and my own were wiped out. I realized that iCloud probably did this, so I shut it off on my phone, and called her to tell her how to disable iCloud so no other changes would occur. I also told her to switch to her iTunes account.

Before all this happened, my iphone was synced with my 13" MacBook, which recently experienced a fatal hard drive crash, and was restored. The tech said that he rescued as much user data as he could for the new HD. When I started up my laptop, all my itunes music was there, but my address book was bare. I haven't had a chance to sync my phone with the restored laptop before this happened today.

So now, I was hoping to find any sort of address book library file that might have a chance of restoring my contacts. I have some user data recovered from the laptop's old HD, but I can't seem to find a good file. I've done a search for ".vcf" files in the spotlight, and have found some email contacts, but not exactly what I'm hoping for.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Specs below.
IPhone 4, running previous iOS (haven't upgraded yet)
13" White MacBook running OS X, version 10.6.8
thoma011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

If you look in iTunes preferences under devices, does it show the backup of your iPhone there? If it does, you could try to restore your phone from that backup then get the contacts off the phone using this app. Once you get that VCF file you can use it to import the contacts into your Address Book on OS X and iCloud.

You are not going to find the contacts in a VCF format on your computer unless you exported them to that format at some point.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Any Time Machine backup?
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:48 AM   #4
thoma011
macrumors newbie

Weaselboy, tried that, and no backups were there. Probably because the laptop crashed, and I hadn't synced the phone yet when this happened (I just got the laptop back the day before she got her phone).

No Time Machine back ups either. My previous HD was fried, and he pulled off as much data as he could. Ugh..
thoma011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:52 PM   #5
BrianBaughn
macrumors 68000

Address Book keeps its data in a database form. I don't know how much your guy was able to recover from the old drive or if the file names came across unchanged, but here's an old thread at Apple discussions that might help.
BrianBaughn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting