Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zgwortz

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
The only version guaranteed for the 28th is the PC version. The Mac version has to go through the Mac App Store approvals process, and the iOS version had a crash bug that is currently being fixed, but they are optimistic it will be re-submitted soon and probably released sometime next week.

*All info gathered from developer tweets.

According to the latest tweets, the Mac version (actually all versions) had the crash bug too. New builds for iOS and Mac have both been resubmitted and need to be reapproved. They don't expect big issues with reapproval because they'd earlier builds had been approved previously - it's just a matter of the time to go through the approval process (longer on Mac than iOS...)

They're aware of the expedited review process they could use to get approval within 48 hours (which would put release Friday or Saturday), but they don't want to use it until they've sufficiently tested the build they submitted. I'm crossing fingers that they don't find any new bugs by end of day today and fire off the expedited review anyway.

I *really* want this game out by Saturday if possible - as I'll be on a cruise starting Sunday, and it would be the perfect thing to play while relaxing on deck... :D Crossing my fingers. I'll be getting the Mac version, myself.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
According to the latest tweets, the Mac version (actually all versions) had the crash bug too. New builds for iOS and Mac have both been resubmitted and need to be reapproved. They don't expect big issues with reapproval because they'd earlier builds had been approved previously - it's just a matter of the time to go through the approval process (longer on Mac than iOS...)

They're aware of the expedited review process they could use to get approval within 48 hours (which would put release Friday or Saturday), but they don't want to use it until they've sufficiently tested the build they submitted. I'm crossing fingers that they don't find any new bugs by end of day today and fire off the expedited review anyway.

I *really* want this game out by Saturday if possible - as I'll be on a cruise starting Sunday, and it would be the perfect thing to play while relaxing on deck... :D Crossing my fingers. I'll be getting the Mac version, myself.

Yeah, I've decided that I want to play this game Soooo bad that I am going to purchase the PC version so I can play tomorrow and will purchase that Mac and iPad version once available. I have no problem dropping $50 on this game as I hope it leads to them doing the same for Planescape Torment (They have already stated BG2 coming next year).

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Per their twitter update... The iPad version was submitted on Friday and they requested an "expedited review". No time table was given, but I believe from what I read before an "expedited review" usually means 48hrs. So we could see the iPad version in the next day or so.

Still no update on the Mac version.

Renzatic

Suspended
I can't believe I'm waiting so impatiently for a game I've already played at least twice now over the last 10 years. IT JUST CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!

Though admittedly, I'll be playing it on an iPad this go round. That kinda makes it, like, a whole bunch different.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No time table was given, but I believe from what I read before an "expedited review" usually means 48hrs. So we could see the iPad version in the next day or so.

Still no update on the Mac version.

They don't process expedited reviews over the weekend, but often apps are released the same day the expedite is granted. (48 hours or less.) I'm not very confident Apple will grant it though. The normal average review time is one week, so it wouldn't be too much longer.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
They don't process expedited reviews over the weekend, but often apps are released the same day the expedite is granted. (48 hours or less.) I'm not very confident Apple will grant it though. The normal average review time is one week, so it wouldn't be too much longer.

I've never followed the App Store review process before, so I was going based on what I have heard. Regardless, it will hopefully be this week or next for the iPad version.

I can't believe I'm waiting so impatiently for a game I've already played at least twice now over the last 10 years. IT JUST CAN'T COME SOON ENOUGH!

Though admittedly, I'll be playing it on an iPad this go round. That kinda makes it, like, a whole bunch different.

I've been playing the PC version and I can say that they've done a great job. The iPad controls may take some getting used to, but it sounds like they pulled it off rather well. The game is going to be just as large on the iPad (around 1.8GB) and they said it should still run on the iPad 1, but recommend rebooting before playing if possible.

Renzatic

Suspended
I've been playing the PC version and I can say that they've done a great job. The iPad controls may take some getting used to, but it sounds like they pulled it off rather well. The game is going to be just as large on the iPad (around 1.8GB) and they said it should still run on the iPad 1, but recommend rebooting before playing if possible.

I've been hearing a few positives and negatives about the PC version, though most of it comes from oldschool people on sites like RPGCodex who'd gripe about getting a sequential BJ from the Swedish bikini team because they didn't roll a 12 on their luck throw.

...and maybe something about THAC0, too. Some people complain just to complain.

From what I've read, it sounds like they've done a more than decent port, albeit one that's a little buggy at times. My one biggest concern is if I'll be able to transfer my characters from BG1 to BG2 when it comes out this Summer. I've pretty much stomped through everything in BG1 save for Tales of the Sword Coast, but never got too far into BG2 for some reason. Being able to port my characters would mean I get to continue that journey I started all those years ago.

edit: The Ars Technica review is up.

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I've managed to get Planescape: Torment mostly working in Crossover, which will more than tide me over.

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
Still holding out for the mac version.

I guess we'll see it in the new year?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
...and it requires iOS6. If I want to play it, I'll have to give up Google Maps and my arcade games. :(

It's temporary until they fix the iPad 1 memory issues.

Still holding out for the mac version.

I guess we'll see it in the new year?

Maybe not. They were granted an expedited review for the iPad version, if that happens again we could see it by the 21st, before iTunes Connect gets shut down for the holidays.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
iPad version seems to work well. Sometimes I have issues with barrels/chest/doors and stuff clicking right, but changing the zoom level of the main view often gets around that.... so far I'm liking it.

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
My personal recommendation would be to not get the Mac version of the EE at all, and instead get the game from GOG, install it in Wineskin (or CrossOver) and mod it. Personally, I think installing the GOG release in Wineskin and installing the various mods from the Gibberlings 3 forums would give you a superior gameplay experience for half the price and only about 15-20 minutes of extra effort.

Soot

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2007
My personal recommendation would be to not get the Mac version of the EE at all, and instead get the game from GOG, install it in Wineskin (or CrossOver) and mod it. Personally, I think installing the GOG release in Wineskin and installing the various mods from the Gibberlings 3 forums would give you a superior gameplay experience for half the price and only about 15-20 minutes of extra effort.

GOG is $9.99 (just checked their site) and this is $9.99 so it doesn't make sense unless a person really wants mods and likes to tinker with Wineskin / CrossOver. Also, buying the iOS version supports the developers of this porting effort, and they've said that if it's a success, that means other games like Planescape could also get ported.

My personal experience is I wanted to try Planescape Torment about a year or two ago (same engine as Baldur's Gate) on Mac OS X, and did go the route of Wine / Wineskin and then to VMWare and then to VirtualBox, each with its own issues and none having it work quite right all on its own, and it was hours and hours of tweaking and workarounds to get it to work right finally, which for such an old game, I thought wouldn't be nearly so much an effort. I didn't mind it, just for the sake of playing around with the technology, but I wouldn't do it again, and sure didn't have the luck of it only being a "15-20 minute" extra effort experience. Who knows, maybe the extra year of Wine and VM developments make this now a smoother experience.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
...and it requires iOS6. If I want to play it, I'll have to give up Google Maps and my arcade games. :(

Well blow me the ******* away, I was *not* expecting that!

I heard on another forum that they expect to have an iOS 5 version released soon??? I'm waiting for that. I'm not ready to update to iOS 6 anytime soon...

rampancy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
GOG is $9.99 (just checked their site) and this is $9.99

The iOS release is $9.99. The desktop versions are $19.99. I'm all for supporting developers to release ports, but only for the right reasons. Beamdog is charging $19.99 for a game which doesn't have much in the way of quantifiable enhancements, when compared to playing another version of the game in WINE with mods (at a practically equal level of performance) for half that price. And then on top of that, are the teething bugs which the EE had on release for Windows.

I would be more agreeable with the price if Beamdog had updated the actual art assets with HD graphics, but they couldn't even do that as apparently the original assets are gone, according to Oster himself.

Soot said:
My personal experience is I wanted to try Planescape Torment about a year or two ago

It's really not fair to judge your experience with WINE based on what you used a year ago. A lot's happened in WINE and CrossOver development in a year; all in all, compatibility and performance have improved significantly even in 6 months' time (though of course, it's obviously not a perfect solution). There are a plethora of resources available for people who want to run the Infinity Engine games in WINE, and lot of people who've done so quite successfully.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.