Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

Splitting itunes library between hard drives

Okay so i have a 2012 15" cMbp with the standard 500GB hdd and I am looking at getting a 3TB external hard drive for my iTunes library and all of my media. I have over 600Gb of music that I will be putting on the external along with all of my movies since I am in the process of Riping all of my DVDs and putting them in my library.

!. I have about !00Gb of movie right now. is there a way to move all of that to the external drive easily?

2. Will I be able to have say just 10GB of music and some movies on my internal hard drive and then have the rest on the external and have some way to swap movies and music from on hard drive to the other?

3. When I import something to iTunes is there a way to choose what hard drive the content goes on?

Thanks in advance.
TRAV9614 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:20 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

This should help:

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3
TRAV9614
macrumors regular

Thanks for that post, but it does not answer all of my questions. Does anyone else have any input?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:29 PM   #4
mfram
macrumors 6502a

The big thing is to tell iTunes to not keep your stuff organized so that it doesn't move the files from where you put them.

You'll probably need to blow away your current iTunes database, change that critical setting, then re-add the existing folders to your new database.

But you won't easily be able to move the files around. They will need to stay where you put then, or you'll have to start all over again.

In other words:

1. Move your files where you want them.
2. Blow away the iTunes database file.
3. Restart iTunes, tweak the "Keep media organized" setting.
4. Re-add your media.
5. If you want to move your media again, you'll have to start over.
mfram is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:02 PM   #5
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

This paid app should do what you want: https://itunes.apple.com/app/id528459889?mt=12
I have personally never tried it though.

My personal (free) solution is less than ideal but still works:

Make sure iTunes is closed and Alt+click the iTunes icon in your dock. This popup should appear:

Thumb resize.

Click on "Create Library" and choose the path to a new folder on your external hard drive.

From now on, every track you will add to iTunes will be added to your external hard drive.

If you want to add tracks to your internal drive, do the same thing but click "Choose Library" instead and choose the path to the iTunes folder on your local drive which should be ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media.

Note that you will only see tracks that are in the library you selected, so you will have to manually select the library you want to play tracks from every time you will switch, hence why I say it's less than ideal.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro