Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I thought I had problems with battery consumption in the beginning (have had it for three weeks now) and needed to charge it at work to be sure I would get home without it shutting down.

The past week it feels as if the battery is holding up very good, even though I have downloaded quite a few apps. The attached stats are after having a few phone calls, some texting (both ordinary messages and Viber), some time on Facebook, checked my e-mails a few times and some gaming. I have also installed a business card reader today and tested it by scanning five business cards, which took about 4-5% if I remember correctly.

Other than that i sync seven accounts (e-mail, contacts and calendar), whereof two are push and the rest automatic sync every hour. Today I have used about 7 hours of wi-fi and 3 hours with BT connected in my car (both shut off when not in use). Location services are on for most of the apps, including Facebook and Skype as "Never offline".

Attachments

• IMG_0058.PNG
    IMG_0058.PNG
    104.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0065.PNG
    IMG_0065.PNG
    105.3 KB · Views: 90

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
My battery life definitely got better after a few charges

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 69

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
My battery life definitely got better after a few charges

That's amazing

I tried everything, turning off settings, full drain+recharge and with just light use (bit of web,YouTube,camera etc) I get only 6 hours and 50 mins before it shuts down.

Ibtechsavvy

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I can definitely say that the battery has to "settle" after any restore. I'm getting much better stats with the same usage

Oh and one of the biggest fixes: turning off the percentage!! :D

Edit: push for 2 emails was on versus hourly fetch before. So big improvement???
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353656907.961765.jpg

Last edited:

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
I was having issues with my iPhone battery until I followed the instructions here:

http://media.smh.com.au/technology/digital-life/how-to-improve-your-iphone-5-battery-3681929.html

Apologies if I'm repeating info already posted....Just thought this might help some people out. My iPhone 4 had awesome battery life and I was quite disappointed with the new phone in comparison. After doing this "fix", my battery life is comparable.

FWIW I restored my iPhone 5 from a backup of the 4 rather than set it up as a new phone when I bought it, which seems to give some people battery issues.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I used mine at my in-laws house yesterday for like 2 hours straight browsing over LTE. I think I lost about 20% battery life. It was pretty freakin amazing coming from my Android phone.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
I downloaded Carat app last week, can someone explain my score plus the hug and bug report?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 87

King Julian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2011
OK I have tried to read through the 1134 posts so far, but must admit I skipped a few.

My usage appears to be exceptionally higher than on previous iPhones and versions of iOS.

Is there any Apps that anyone knows on iOS 6 that are continually working away in the background or any Apps that I can use to determine what is draining away the battery.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
OK I have tried to read through the 1134 posts so far, but must admit I skipped a few.

My usage appears to be exceptionally higher than on previous iPhones and versions of iOS.

Is there any Apps that anyone knows on iOS 6 that are continually working away in the background or any Apps that I can use to determine what is draining away the battery.

i used Carat app, as you can see the results above which i don't understad.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2005
the difference between having Skype set to:

Go Offline: "never" and

Go Offline: "immediately"

EDIT: Yes, I just had my phone plugged in for approximately 2 seconds. Just wanted to post this incredible difference before I put my phone on charge before going to bed...the phone actually lasts me for an entire day now.

Attachments

• photo 1.PNG
    photo 1.PNG
    106.5 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    119.2 KB · Views: 82

dbo43867

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Before I set my 5 up as new the battery life was okay. It'd last a day, but barely.

Now I plug it back in with 50-60% of charge remaining, after having used it for 4-7 hours and having it on standby for roughly 14-15.

It is excellent!

Raejin

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
I'm not sure it's bad or good. I'm constantly switching off WiFi and LTE but mostly on Wifi.

Attachments

• jE1vM.jpg
    jE1vM.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 102

miraishak

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
sudden iphone battery drain

i just had the weirdest thing happen to me today. i've had my iphone 4 for exactly 2 years now. i left it last night with 80% battery, slept for 8 hours, woke up to find it at 35%. wifi was off, no programs were running except for: calendar, messages, settings, skype. there were no notifications at all.

my normal battery drain during night time is between 5% and 7%. i have never had a 50% drop! but i usually don't leave skype running. the phone is running the latest ios (which i think is 6.1)

this happened to me once only on ios 5, but i had left the phone for 6 hours in a poor reception area. however last night it was at home, which is normally a good reception area.

my question is: could this have been skype running, or is it possible that i had lost signal at some point and the phone was searching all night? and if so, should this drain 50%?

is there a solution or a way of finding out what's wrong?

zildMacjian

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
UK
just outta interest whats the best battery life out of these 46 pages in terms of hours / min usage ? (regardless of what its used for)

anyone hit 15 hours, or is that a tad to far ?

alwaysbboy

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Would somebody mind telling me what's the battery life like compared to a device like Galaxy S3?

I am having hard time choosing my next phone, may it be iPhone 5 or Nexus 4.

Graphixx30

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
I'm going to be honest, I didn't read through all 46 pages of posts. The one thing I've noticed and I'm curious if others have as well is has anyone turned off their phone and turned them back on to see a higher battery percentage?

I have noticed that on my iPad mini and iPhone 5 that after restarting both of them the battery percentage goes up by 4-5% after the restart. I feel the percentage after the restart is the correct percent remaining leading me to believe that there is a bug in the battery meter on iOS 6.

Anyone else notice this?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.