Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:14 AM   #51
MCarnes88
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortri View Post
Why does the New Yorker iPad mini look messed up. The left side has a gap like a regular iPad, the right side looks like an ipad mini. wtf lol
The iPad does not have a gap. If you look at the New Yorker, there is a black bar on the cover.
MCarnes88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:45 AM   #52
Macist
macrumors 6502a

But the print edition is effectively a 'retina' display.
Macist is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:14 AM   #53
ArcaneDevice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownStudent View Post
This isn't true. The magazine that you would be looking at on the iPad mini isn't a actual scanned version from the magazine. It is actually recreated to fit and work for the iPad. When you zoom into the text on any article, reading, and similar text documents on an iPad or iPhone, it auto focuses the text and clears it out for readers.
That's what you think. Read more Newsstand magazines and you'll encounter quite a few that are badly optimized and just the PDFs thrown into a mobile template. Some don't even render the text correctly even when they are just dumped on there like that.

I for one already think the iPad is not large enough for magazines as it is, which is another reason why I think the Mini is a dumb device purely to fill a marketing niche.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I'm sorry, but that is idiotic reasoning. Everyone who has ever used a tablet, especially an iOS tablet knows that the text on the tablet is resizable, and will morph via smart zoom while retaining its original clarity and sharpness. Paper text is one size, and never changes.
And that size is readable without any extra effort.

Until every magazine on Newsstand is made specifically for an iPad the majority consist of having to zoom and pan around the screen just to read a paragraph at a time.

Not only is it bad formatting and presentation but it makes a less than user friendly experience. Imagine if iOS books had to be zoomed and panned on every page of text.
ArcaneDevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:27 AM   #54
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

But Apple doesn't do stuff like this.
Yeah, just as you get a free small car when you buy a Mercedes.

Ho wait ....
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:03 AM   #55
MacTouch786
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConCat View Post
Hey there new writer! Welcome to MR!
Hey hey! Thanks!
MacTouch786 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 AM   #56
hrl
macrumors member

Send a message via MSN to hrl
This is my fav Apple ad since Mac Vs. PC ended.
hrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:45 AM   #57
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Homerun.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:59 AM   #58
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by troop231 View Post
I think this was the goal.. to show how small the iPad mini's actual size is.
Like that's a positive thing?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:14 AM   #59
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Too small!

To me, it looks like the iMini has too small a screen to properly express great tablet apps. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. I think that the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:15 AM   #60
illutionz
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdream View Post
Like that's a positive thing?
Yes actually. For many people, they'd rather get Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, or iPad Mini rather than full scale 10" tablets myself included. I actually sold my iPad 3 (The New iPad) with retina display to go with the mini for portability sake.

Apple is trying to reach a different segment of the market with the iPad mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
To me, it looks like the iMini has too small a screen to properly express great tablet apps. There are clear limits of how close you can physically place elements on a touch screen before users cannot reliably tap, flick, or pinch them. I think that the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps.
The mini is targeted towards ebook reader for its portability and lower price relative to the 10" iPad. With the Mini, for example, you can get the version with data capabilities for $450 as opposed to $630. For this market, they value portability a lot more than capabilities. I've been using my iPad 3 to read and frankly while the big display is fantastic, it is really aggravating to hold with one hand.

Regarding the screen size, 7" is indeed too small and while I think 8.5" would be a perfect size for iPad mini, I think 7.9" that Apple chose is portable enough yet it is also usable.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:55 AM   #61
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
For me the ad highlights why I'd prefer to read a mag on the full sized iPad.
That makes the ad even better from Apple's point of view. You see an ad for the mini and immediately start thinking about buying a full size iPad.
MeFromHere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:58 AM   #62
tdream
macrumors 65816

Yeah people really want to squint their eyes when reading. The magazine was designed to be read at that size. If you're zooming in, you're doing it wrong.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:10 AM   #63
moxxey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool006 View Post
For me the ad highlights why I'd prefer to read a mag on the full sized iPad.
For me it reminds me of why it's a better and more enjoyable experience to purchase a magazine and read it at your leisure. No idea why someone wants to read a magazine on their iPad. I get the feeling we do it, simply as we can. It offers an inferior experience to reading a proper printed magazine.

Couldn't think of anything worse than reading a printed magazine on an iPad mini screen!
moxxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:28 AM   #64
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

While I won't deny the absolute brilliance of the ad, I will question the market placement.

Those magazines are shriveling up for a variety of reasons. The market is shifting on its own, and most everyone that reads New Yorker or Time are completely familiar with the iPads and their capabilities. On the magazine side, their greatest advertising is their physical copy which litters coffee tables, waiting rooms, news stands, etc. Once the shift to digital is complete, they will vanish within years due to their ability to provide last week's propaganda and talking points rather than current content. Unless they catch the eye of on-liners, which they won't, they will be catering to a dying audience. Literally.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:53 AM   #65
kemal
macrumors regular

An excellent ad. No text spoon feeding you a conclusion. You spend a moment exercising your curiosity to form the Apple intended conclusion. The act of deciding whether the device is viable for reading a magazine will draw the consumer into next choosing a color.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:05 AM   #66
oldschool006
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxxey View Post
For me it reminds me of why it's a better and more enjoyable experience to purchase a magazine and read it at your leisure. No idea why someone wants to read a magazine on their iPad. I get the feeling we do it, simply as we can. It offers an inferior experience to reading a proper printed magazine.

Couldn't think of anything worse than reading a printed magazine on an iPad mini screen!
I'm with you on that point about half way, as I too love the physical aspect of magazines. Still, digital media offers a couple of benefits beyond the old technology. Hyperlinks are brilliant in that they vastly enhance the experience, reference features are always a tap away, and storage of multiple items makes it more convenient to read what you want when you want it. Also, where I currently live there is not access to western print media, nor books, so it comes down to a case of beggars not being too choosy.
oldschool006 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:24 AM   #67
Rocketman
macrumors 603

You actually get more content with the digital version because the mailing window is not included and that content is visible.

Big format change on the front page today. It took a minute to figure how they were showing the first couple of articles fully and the remainder in compact mode, but it works. More professional actually.

I plan to buy an iPad Mini when it gets to version 2 and the antennas are improved a bit.

Here's a recent use of white space:

Rocketman

Last edited by Rocketman; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Rocketman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:30 AM   #68
Builddesign
macrumors member

Back on track with a simple elegant message.

I get worried when I see the atnt ads and verizon ads with a "face fireplace". WTF
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:40 AM   #69
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
If you order one of those grand-spanking-new $3000 iMacs on Friday, they should at least throw in a free iPad Mini.

You mean the $1299 iMac? Exaggerate much?
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:54 AM   #70
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Love the ad, but Apple should be advertising the magazine reading experience on the full iPad. A magazine on a non-retina display is disappointing to say the least.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #71
downpour
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone495 View Post
Too much white in the back cover.
Whitespace is something skilled graphic designers use to give an advert more impact. I guarantee you are more likely to notice an ad like this, than something with information crammed into all the available space.

Read this article if you want to know more.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/whitespace

downpour is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:48 AM   #72
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlink View Post
I'm sorry, but that is idiotic reasoning. Everyone who has ever used a tablet, especially an iOS tablet knows that the text on the tablet is resizable, and will morph via smart zoom while retaining its original clarity and sharpness. Paper text is one size, and never changes.
The text may readable (although its in low resolution) but you'll need to do a lot more scrolling on a smaller tablet like the mini. That's not an issue for some of course, but it makes reading the same length article on the mini a bit more labor intensive. The ad will convince some to buy an iPad mini and some to buy a full sized model for different reasons.

Also, just because someone doesn't think exactly like you do, doesn't mean you should call them an "idiot". The election season is over.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:59 AM   #73
Southshore
macrumors newbie

Quote:

$3K?
New math?
Southshore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:05 AM   #74
izyreal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesser Evets View Post
While I won't deny the absolute brilliance of the ad, I will question the market placement.

Those magazines are shriveling up for a variety of reasons. The market is shifting on its own, and most everyone that reads New Yorker or Time are completely familiar with the iPads and their capabilities. On the magazine side, their greatest advertising is their physical copy which litters coffee tables, waiting rooms, news stands, etc. Once the shift to digital is complete, they will vanish within years due to their ability to provide last week's propaganda and talking points rather than current content. Unless they catch the eye of on-liners, which they won't, they will be catering to a dying audience. Literally.
You are right about the future of the printed magazine. However, we aren't in that future yet. These ads are reaching the audience of the printed magazine AND making a splash as news on the internet. Win - Win for apple.

Off-topic question of the day: What is digital advertising going to look like in 5-6 years? Right now ads are either a completely ignorable bar at the top/bottom of the page, or they are completely obnoxious pop ups that demand your attention. Unlike printed media, I have never seen a digital add that I liked. The person that solves this dilemma will be a billionaire.
izyreal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:06 AM   #75
Mr. Buzzcut
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownStudent View Post
This isn't true. The magazine that you would be looking at on the iPad mini isn't a actual scanned version from the magazine. It is actually recreated to fit and work for the iPad. When you zoom into the text on any article, reading, and similar text documents on an iPad or iPhone, it auto focuses the text and clears it out for readers.
Yes, exactly. When you zoom. That makes it a huge pain to flip through a mag if you're looking at more than photos.

My iPad 1 was not usable for mags due to its lousy resolution. The iPad 3 is great.

My point was simply they are showing one of the worst use cases for the mini. It has lots of other uses but staring at large pages of text is less than pleasing. IMO, of course.
Mr. Buzzcut is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion