Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
Cactii
macrumors member

OS X inspired Linux distribution

Just thought I would share this with the MAC community.

The other day I was looking for a small, lightweight linux distribution to replace Windows7 with on my girlfriends netbook. It was slow and had some problems with the video drivers after 20min of use to a state of unusable with constant flickering.

A few distros came to mind such as Ubuntu, Mint, Lubuntu etc,. Being a longtime Mac user I thought Linux Mint was the only distribution for her which actually does a decent job in the UI department and would make it easy to use on a delay basis.

After a couple hours of reading through forum posts and searching for information just to see if this little Acer Aspire can run it I came across a distribution called "Elementary OS Luna".

I went through their screenshots and was impressed by how much "inspired" they are by OSX. I have to admit the designers had a serious eye for detail.

Here is a video tour of the OS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwFFNcfNXW8

Design Concepts:
http://elementaryos.deviantart.com/gallery/

Desktop:

I installed it with no problem. It's fast and I actually felt right at home thanks to the very similar look and feel of OSX .

So, if you have an old PC laptop/netbook and want to have a OSX feel, I would suggest downloading it now before it goes mainstream and Apple shuts them down for being "too inspired".

What do you guys think of this?

Last edited by Cactii; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Cactii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
It only supports x86 . Hopefully if it becomes more popular, it'll support more architectures... Ubuntu already has an ARM and PowerPC version so it wouldn't be as hard as porting a complete OS to a new platform.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Cactii
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
It only supports x86 . Hopefully if it becomes more popular, it'll support more architectures... Ubuntu already has an ARM and PowerPC version so it wouldn't be as hard as porting a complete OS to a new platform.
Since it is based on Ubuntu I would think it will come soon or later. From reading through their website it is a small team developing this from scratch with a unified look of all the applications. If Gimp could take some "inspiration" from Adobe or if Adobe would make some applications available on Linux I would actually consider it giving it a go.

Last edited by Cactii; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Cactii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:11 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

I've been watching the development of this. It's very nice!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:18 PM   #5
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I completely agree. I have the ISO on my PC, I've been meaning to install it for some time now.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:35 PM   #6
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

I like how they're creating their own apps tailored to the OS. It makes for a more integrated experience like OS X. I also like how their handling third party apps such as Geary by collaborating closely with Yorba, and Midori. I think this is probably one of the biggest reasons Linux is never taken too seriously, you've got so many distros but they rely on third parties for apps. Elementary is changing that, and I heard they were also trying to create standards/policies to establish a consistent look for developers to follow.

That said I prefer Ubuntu at the moment, it has more features. I hope Canonical will start developing their own apps and features for Ubuntu, like Elementary. Another problem with Linux is that distributions never release any innovative features along with the OS. I noticed a small change for Ubuntu however, their latest release has better integration and websites can now become apps pinned to the launcher with notifications. Dash is also getting more refined.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
BRyken
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. This is interesting as I'm starting to get a little more familiar with Linux and this could make the transition seamless.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:13 AM   #8
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

This looks great, but...

Will there be a port for PowerPC users to make use of this distro of Linux? I have been wanting to try Linux on my G5 Quad(Yes, I also use Intel Mac Pro, so don't worry).

I figure Ubuntu still works on PPC, maybe the developer has a PowerPC port in the works?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariii View Post
PowerPCMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:24 AM   #9
bizzle
macrumors 6502a

Finally a distro that doesn't look like bollocks.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:04 AM   #10
RSL
macrumors regular

Nice!!! I might have to try it out!
RSL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:54 AM   #11
SkyBell
macrumors 603

If they ever made a PPC version... I may have to give that a go. Downloading the beta right now, gonna try it on on my netbook and see what's what.
Blueberry iBook G3, Apple IIc
SkyBell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Cactii
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBell View Post
If they ever made a PPC version... I may have to give that a go. Downloading the beta right now, gonna try it on on my netbook and see what's what.
How did it go with this release on your netbook?

Still running strong here. I did notice some problems with the wifi connection but I believe this is a problem with the actually netbook since It did this with Windows as well.
Cactii is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac