Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:30 PM   #401
thasan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. View Post
yeah, there's no difference at all
two months...and it looks ok...atleast, searching with telford hospital gives a clean satellite image.
thasan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:41 PM   #402
Big Dawg 23
macrumors regular

I had a Galaxy Note and rely heavily on Navigation. Last week I picked up an iPhone 5 so far maps works great for me. One thing I miss is using Google on PC and tagging a place that then shows up on my device. However the maps are much clearer iOS. I am sure the next OS will bring big improvments. People seem to get first versions of Google maps on Android devices had man issues. There are times Google does find things like popular hotels.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:11 AM   #403
matty.p
macrumors regular

[QUOTE=8a22a;16331779]I'm sure they could setup a system that auto-corrects all error submissions.

Obviously getting employees to manually verify every error is not practical.[COLOR="#808080"]

--------

I don't think they could make it automatic. What if someone just starts submitting stuff to mess with people. Or deleting businesses saying they're closed or not there to sabotage a rival. There has to be layers of verification.
matty.p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:16 AM   #404
lordofthereef
macrumors 604

Still consistently taking me to the wrong places and dialing residential numbers for businesses in Boston...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:11 AM   #405
ravenvii
macrumors 604

Just gave in and updated to iOS 6 yesterday. With Google Maps (via Safari), Hopstop and Nokia Here, my public transit needs will be met somewhat adequately. Still awaiting the official Google Maps app!

Anyway, tried out the driving navigation with Apple Maps. It's surprisingly good -- clear, re-routes when you take a different turn, and locations are accurate, at least from my superficial use last night going to the mall.

Flyover is just as useless as claimed, however. lol
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:45 AM   #406
usnapacker10
macrumors newbie

Last edited by usnapacker10; Mar 11, 2014 at 04:42 AM.
usnapacker10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:55 AM   #407
MozMan68
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnapacker10 View Post
Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless. There is low resolution satellite imagery, however, there are no road names, POIs, or any labels besides two parks and a golf course.
You're right about the road names, but way more POI's than that if you zoom in...actually, some weird ones considering there are no roads listed...
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:09 AM   #408
chrf097
macrumors 68030

Apple Maps works flawlessly in my area. Not a single wrong piece of info in directions for me. Of course that doesn't mean the people reporting wrong info are lying, but for me I've had no issues.

chrf097 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 AM   #409
Jibbajabba
macrumors 6502a

Major places in London are still miss-spelled / missing, I am still living in a river and the city name changes when you zoom out. Glad I don't depend on Apple maps any more
Jibbajabba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:40 AM   #410
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

No, it really does suck.
shenfrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:45 AM   #411
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless. There is low resolution satellite imagery, however, there are no road names, POIs, or any labels besides two parks and a golf course.

GTA Teleguam offers the iPhone 5, but no one can even take advantage of most of Siri's features because she can't provide directions, can't provide information on POI's, etc. Google Maps has all of this data listed.

Guam is part of the United States with a large number of military personnel here on the island, yet Apple Maps doesn't even provide a single piece of data.

This is the standard Apple Maps view for Guam.
I'm so glad I turned down my orders to Guam!
iPhone 5s 16gb
AFPoster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:31 PM   #412
Kenetic0320
macrumors newbie

My only problem with Apple Maps is the missing walking, biking, and transit directions (built within maps). If I didn't live in a major city and didnt rely on public transit, I would like Maps a lot more!
Kenetic0320 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:42 PM   #413
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-V View Post
You can't argue with people who are saying their town is miles out of place or the simple fact that there is far less detail on these maps than Google's.
It's easy to like Apple maps when they work in your area.

In my area they lack coverage, accuracy & usefulness. It's just a fact.

The good new is Google Maps on my SGS III & Note II are simply stellar.

Therefore waiting for Apple is no big deal.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:22 AM   #414
usnapacker10
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

Last edited by usnapacker10; Mar 11, 2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: .
usnapacker10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:13 AM   #415
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

ohoh...Apple maps team has probably mistaken that for a flyspeck
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:39 AM   #416
hyteckit

Been using Apple Maps for over 2 months. Haven't gotten lost.

Using Google Maps/Navigator for about a week on my new Note 2. Already gotten bad directions, about 4 blocks off from the actual location.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:41 AM   #417
anvikapur
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonoughdr View Post
Really!?! Apple Maps aren't that bad...
oh really strange to listen that
anvikapur is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:01 AM   #418
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:

GTA Teleguam offers the iPhone 5, but no one can even take advantage of most of Siri's features because she can't provide directions, can't provide information on POI's, etc. Google Maps has all of this data listed.

Guam is part of the United States with a large number of military personnel here on the island, yet Apple Maps doesn't even provide a single piece of data.

This is the standard Apple Maps view for Guam.
You will be surprised to see that in some random remote areas in Africa. you wont find any information either.. It is complete non-sense complaining about information missing that affects 10 people.

The focus should be on main areas and over time fix these smaller places. Saying Apple Maps is useless, pointing out to some island in the nowhere's of the ocean, is plain stupid.
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:11 AM   #419
Kukulcan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikscha View Post
You will be surprised to see that in some random remote areas in Africa. you wont find any information either.. It is complete non-sense complaining about information missing that affects 10 people.

The focus should be on main areas and over time fix these smaller places. Saying Apple Maps is useless, pointing out to some island in the nowhere's of the ocean, is plain stupid.
He said: "Apple Maps in Guam is completely useless."
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #420
yg17
macrumors G5

Quote:

Guam is a US territory home to nearly 200,000 people and several US military installations.
yg17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:00 AM   #421
rikscha
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
Guam is a US territory home to nearly 200,000 people and several US military installations.
West Uganda is a home to 5 mio people and Uganda territory. I dont expect to have the most accurate data for this part of the world. There are other areas much more important. I also do not understand your remark about US military and US territory. WHat does that have to do with anything.

He is implying that Maps sucks, certainly not on the fact that it has no data for the very unimportant island of Guam.
rikscha is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:08 AM   #422
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I also do not understand your remark about US military and US territory. WHat does that have to do with anything.

He is implying that Maps sucks, certainly not on the fact that it has no data for the very unimportant island of Guam.
More than not, people enjoy spouting that the maps are fine in the US. Guam is a part of the US, but it clearly has pathetic maps... that you think it's "very unimportant" is irrelevant.
cyks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 PM   #423
usnapacker10
macrumors newbie

Last edited by usnapacker10; Mar 11, 2014 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Typo
usnapacker10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:58 AM   #424
Nale72
macrumors regular

Quote:
Sure, Maps don't suck (at least not for everyone). Apple didn't fire the guy in charge for Maps because it's a disaster, they just did it for fun?
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:26 AM   #425
GoSh4rks
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This is Ketchikan, Alaska. Note the location of the AT&T store and that Water and Mill Streets seemingly extend into the ocean. ~1 million cruise ship visitors per year.
Thumb resize.

Last edited by OllyW; Nov 30, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Changed tags on oversized image from IMG to TIMG
GoSh4rks is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6