Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jiskefet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

Just got my new 2012 MM , i connect (FireWire)my G drive ,750Gb FireWire to my MM ,but the MM does not see the HDD .

What to do ?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Is the external drive plugged into an external power source or is it only being powered from firewire? A 750 GB drive *might* draw too much current for your laptop's firewire socket to be it's sole power source.

Failing that I'd then try the drive on USB or on another machine to eliminate the drive from the equation.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Is the external drive plugged into an external power source or is it only being powered from firewire? A 750 GB drive *might* draw too much current for your laptop's firewire socket to be it's sole power source.

Failing that I'd then try the drive on USB or on another machine to eliminate the drive from the equation.

Good point, forgot about that, if it is a 3.5" it probably needs external power, mine does and is almost sure a copy/sister of the G-drive, exactly the same power supply, same connection, and brand.

Jiskefet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
I had the same problem on my IMAc , but after ,disconnecting every connection and take the power of for 5 minutes , than connect all the connection again and start the IMac again , that worked ok for me , but not this time on the MM

Im nor sure about the format from the HDD , it does not show up in Disk Utility, its only powerd by FW.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I had the same problem on my IMAc , but after ,disconnecting every connection and take the power of for 5 minutes , than connect all the connection again and start the IMac again , that worked ok for me , but not this time on the MM

Im nor sure about the format from the HDD , it does not show up in Disk Utility, its only powerd by FW.

Does the drive have an external power source (120v or 220v)? I have a few 2.5" 500gb external drives that are right on the edge when trying to drive them from just my laptop. Sometimes they mount and sometimes they don't. Hooking them up to external power and they mount 100% of the time.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Im nor sure about the format from the HDD , it does not show up in Disk Utility

If it does not show up in Disk Utility it means the System does not see it at all, are there drivers or firmware updates for it.
I still remember my Original G-drive, with a PATA drive in it, it had many problems due to an older chip set used.
This was years ago and later they changed the chipset and I think that was the problem.
Is yours with a PATA drive?

Jiskefet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
> Does the drive have an external power source

No

>Is yours with a PATA drive
Don,t think so , but can,t check it now ....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
> Does the drive have an external power source

No

>Is yours with a PATA drive
Don,t think so , but can,t check it now ....

2.5'" or 3.5"

Probably a 2.5" and if that's the case the FW port should be able to deliver the power it needs.
Mine which gave me troubles was a 3.5" and was bought years ago, don't know exactly but probably 5+ years ago.

Why can't you check, because on your job-not near to it?

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
2.5'" or 3.5"

Probably a 2.5" and if that's the case the FW port should be able to deliver the power it needs.
Mine which gave me troubles was a 3.5" and was bought years ago, don't know exactly but probably 5+ years ago.

Why can't you check, because on your job-not near to it?

I would suggest trying external power. My 2.5" 500gb drives are right on the edge between being mounted or not mounted when run just from the fw port. It depends on how much current his external drive needs vs how much power the fw port on his mini supplies.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I would suggest trying external power. My 2.5" 500gb drives are right on the edge between being mounted or not mounted when run just from the fw port. It depends on how much current his external drive needs vs how much power the fw port on his mini supplies.

That must be a toshiba, I have one and the drive needs a USB Y connection to work, and even if I use it on a powered 1 Amp USB Hub it refuses to mount.

But, yes, that is a good idea, if he has one.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
That must be a toshiba, I have one and the drive needs a USB Y connection to work, and even if I use it on a powered 1 Amp USB Hub it refuses to mount.

But, yes, that is a good idea, if he has one.

The drive I own are Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500 gb 2.5" drives. In OWC single drive enclosures (usb, fw800, esata).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Its a 2.5" , i can't check because my MM does not recognize it ....

I did not see this post until this morning, better use quote, then it shows up in my quotes.

I think right now there is only one thing you can do, connect it to a PC with firewire, or if the G-Drive has USB connect it with USB.
If the disk shows up in Windows there is something amiss in OS X, if it does not show up on a PC there is something wrong with the disk.

BTW, are you Dutch/Belgian--Jiskefet--, wasn't that a program on dutch TV long time ago?

Jiskefet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2012
Yes im from Holland .... did you see Jiskefet on tv ?

the problem is solved, the cable seems to be the problem, after some turning and twisting the cable, the HDD got recognized

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Yes im from Holland .... did you see Jiskefet on tv ?

the problem is solved, the cable seems to be the problem, after some turning and twisting the cable, the HDD got recognized

Good you solved it, actually that’s what I recommend people to check out first if it concerns TV-radio and the like, did not think it was the problem here.

You know, I know the program, was great "they" say, can't really remember if I saw the program.
I have been on and of in Holland for the last 15 years, but most of the time I am in the place in my Location below my Avatar, guess where I am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.