Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:59 PM   #26
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
It's a very major feature though, and although it won't bring it any revenue on its own, is going to be something people expect to just work (especially when you have competition like google maps). Not to mention that there are going to be tons of other apps and services which will be relying on the accuracy of maps one way or another.

In short, Maps is the lynchpin. Maybe a VP is overkill, but I agree that it still deserves its own department looking into it.
I would bet that there is a dedicated department already looking at it. Just because eddie cue is assigned to it doesnt mean there arent managers below him whose job is solely maps
VP is a terribly heavy position to only be responsible over maps..a non revenue generating unit
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:12 PM   #27
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
I would bet that there is a dedicated department already looking at it. Just because eddie cue is assigned to it doesnt mean there arent managers below him whose job is solely maps
VP is a terribly heavy position to only be responsible over maps..a non revenue generating unit
If it is ever going to be as good as or better than Google maps then it should be revenue generating. Navteq was worth $8 billion to Nokia. The data Google has amassed and the accuracy of Google maps would make it worth much more I think. Honestly, I don't expect much from Apple maps unless they stop partnering with TomTom and start collecting their own data. For now, they are partnering with the worst of the 3 major mapping services and that's going to continue to show.
DaffyDuck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:23 PM   #28
globalist
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
iOS 6 could have been called iOS 4+, or mini-kitty or whatever the hell Apple wanted to call it. There is no universal metric for denoting what should be in a full point upgrade. Software upgrade versions aren't for you as a consumer. They are for developers that need to know what the baseline is for the OS and its supported featureset. You as a consumer saying you don't feel it should have been 6.0 means absolutely nothing. It's a free OS and you didn't pay anything or the upgrade.
Yeah, and you forgot to inform us about the "more than 200 new features" that nobody really knows what they are or has a complete list of.

Last edited by stridemat; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: cleanup
globalist is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:09 PM   #29
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyks View Post
Depends on how you meant it.

If iOS 6 weren't available? Far, far less as too many people clamored over the new maps - as useless as they are for many of us.

If iOS 6 was available? Far more as many people I know refuse to upgrade until major problems are fixed.


Of course, I have no clue what that has to do with my comment, but I would assume the sale numbers would be far, far lower if Apple publicly stated that future upgrades would not be available or, if they were, they'd have to be purchased.
Okay...I disagree...and this is what I meant and how it applies to your comment....

Of course it can never be proven, but I would venture to say that more than 90% of the people that bought an iPhone 5 would have still bought it even if the only difference was the hardware related stuff (larger screen, faster processor, etc.) with it still shipping with the last ios upgrade.

The "not free" software that you correctly mention is thought of as "free" by many since for most, it is not the core reason for purchasing the hardware...at least when a decent version is still available (which many seem to claim is the case with ios 5)
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:43 PM   #30
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
If it is ever going to be as good as or better than Google maps then it should be revenue generating. Navteq was worth $8 billion to Nokia. The data Google has amassed and the accuracy of Google maps would make it worth much more I think. Honestly, I don't expect much from Apple maps unless they stop partnering with TomTom and start collecting their own data. For now, they are partnering with the worst of the 3 major mapping services and that's going to continue to show.
Google gets its money from ads. Google maps is another platform to deliver those ads - hence the huge amount of effort going into it. It's a profit bearing investment for them. Apple will not be an advertising company in the near future. Hence, the smart thing to do is to get all the data from partnerships. Tom tom was likely chosen because they made the best bid for the Apple Maps project - Apple won't spend as much as Google did into Maps, because it won't make sense for them...
Google sees Google maps as a product
Apple sees Maps as a feature of a product

It probably will not ever better Google maps. but it will get 'good enough'
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:22 PM   #31
putongnihongo
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Cue is cleaning house! Who called it?!
putongnihongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:09 PM   #32
mattburley7
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
now he just needs to get iTunes11 out the door only got 3 days!
mattburley7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:46 AM   #33
putongnihongo
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Eddy is in charge of the itunes store, not the actually software, that is the OSX team.
putongnihongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:20 AM   #34
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Maps have been overblown.

Thank god the general consumer has no idea of the amount of buffoonery that the Tech Press unleashes upon it's gullible readers every day.

iOS 6 has some nice stuff and many new features won't be turned on until more of the userbase moves to 6.x

I've got so many apps on my iPhone I would have upgraded just to reduce the need to input my Apple ID password for every single update.

The Privacy features are nice. I like to know what apps i've given access to my Photos, Contacts, Location and more.
What are you talking about? You didn’t have to put in your password for every update. You simply click “Update All” and enter your password once.
You obviously don’t use the maps. I regret updating my iPads and iPhones to 6.
I also want to trade my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy S3.
__________________
2011 MacBook Pro iPod touch 2G iFone 5! iPad 2 ATV 2G
ncaissie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 PM   #35
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
What are you talking about? You didn’t have to put in your password for every update. You simply click “Update All” and enter your password once.
That's his point...you DID have to enter your password prior to iOS 6.
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:33 PM   #36
cyks
macrumors 68020
 
cyks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Westchester County, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by MozMan68 View Post
That's his point...you DID have to enter your password prior to iOS 6.
Yes, before iOS 6, you would have to enter the password once after selecting 'Update All' as he said you did- and you even quoted.


Not having to type it once isn't a big deal, but the hassle grows quickly when there's an app that you either don't want to or can't update and are forced to update them one at a time.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:43 PM   #37
MozMan68
macrumors 65816
 
MozMan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Right here...
I don't even have that many apps and not having to enter my password multiple times a day is a huge advantage.

And the fact that you would have to do it on all devices as well....
MozMan68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eddy Cue: Best Product Pipeline in 25 Years Coming Later This Year From Apple MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 123 Oct 17, 2014 03:37 AM
Eddy Cue: It's 'Complicated' Solving Problems With TV MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 65 Jun 15, 2014 03:25 PM
Eddy Cue on iTunes Festival: 'It's All About the Artists and the Music' MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 46 Mar 13, 2014 05:07 PM
Tim Cook and Eddy Cue Receive Thousands of Shares of Apple Stock, Cue Nets Over $12M MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 33 Aug 29, 2013 07:43 AM
Eddy Cue Offers Tidbits On Jobs' Involvement with iBooks MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 12 Jun 18, 2013 09:48 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC