Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
It boggles my mind how it would bend inside an otterbox case. When I had an otterbox, it was pretty snug inside the case and didn't allow any type of movement at all. What are you people doing to your phones?

Before I get blasted, I know it can bend. I'm not denying physics. I'm just saying, look at all the people like me going caseless and have yet to see this happen. I put mine in my front pocket all the time when I'm not in my car. I've dropped it from about 18" on concrete and further on carpet. I've fallen asleep and laid on it. No bending. There's either a defect in these individual phones to begin with or people are not being honest with what they put their phones through on a daily basis.
If a phone is damaged inside your otterbox, it's more like your otterbox is to be blamed. Also, do you really sit ON your phone? Are you serious? :eek:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I bent my iPhone 5. But, unlike these new posters who claim it happend magically, I'm an honest man, and I slammed a car door into it. It shattered the screen and bent the frame. Amazingly enough it worked perfectly. Apple replaced as an out of warrenty repair for $179. Sorry, OP - I don't beleive your iPhone magically bent all by itself. Your claim has not an ounce of credibility.

Holy! That's one way to kill an iPhone.

edit: @ haruhiko, were you asking me if I sat on it? No I've never sat on this iPhone, just found under my chest on my bed one morning after I fell asleep talking to someone. I have sat on other iPhones on accident, but thankfully they were always big fluffy couches and I jumped right back up after I realized what happened.

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
If a phone is damaged inside your otterbox, it's more like your otterbox is to be blamed. Also, do you really sit ON your phone? Are you serious? :eek:

Hmmm, I don't think the out of warranty repair for the iPhone 5 is $179. If it is AppleCare+ isn't as great as I once believed.

Out of warranty repair means he doesn't have AppleCare +. Otherwise, his accidental damage would be covered under that warranty. It's usually $229 I think for out of warranty repair and $50 for AppleCare + accidental damage replacement. He must have found a nice person at the apple store.

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
LOL, just looked at my iPhone 5 & think I have an answer...

It's long.

I've driven convertibles forever, and one of the issues that plagues convertibles is that they're less rigid than a coupe, it's because a six sided box is inherently more ridigid than a 5 sided box, for an example, think of an open cardboard box versus one that's been taped shut...

So, we have a 5 sided box in the aluminum body of an iPhone, the volume buttons are the weakest point of the case, and there's enough room to grasp the iPhone above and below the volume buttons and you should have enough leverage to bend it and a new prank has been created:

Find an unattended iPhone 5, and bend it.

How much do you want to bet the people that have bent iPhones are teenagers with malicious friends?

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Hmmm, I don't think the out of warranty repair for the iPhone 5 is $179. If it is AppleCare+ isn't as great as I once believed.

I did not have AC+, which is why I paid $179 for the out of warranty repair - and bought AC+ for the replacement phone.

The point is phones don't just bend.

----------

Out of warranty repair means he doesn't have AppleCare +. Otherwise, his accidental damage would be covered under that warranty. It's usually $229 I think for out of warranty repair and $50 for AppleCare + accidental damage replacement. He must have found a nice person at the apple store.

It came out the same - but the way they listed it on the receipt was $179 for the flat rate repair, and $99 for the Apple Care Plus - which I should have boght when I first bought my phone - hopefully, I'll only smash it once :)

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
I did not have AC+, which is why I paid $179 for the out of warranty repair - and bought AC+ for the replacement phone.

The point is phones don't just bend.

----------

It came out the same - but the way they listed it on the receipt was $179 for the flat rate repair, and $99 for the Apple Care Plus - which I should have boght when I first bought my phone - hopefully, I'll only smash it once :)

Kind of sounds like you got ripped off. It should have only cost you 229 you didn't have to buy apple care +. I really hope they didn't already charge you a replacement and leave you with one.

polish101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
I will post the pics I sent to Apple tomarrow. My thought is that the case is being tweaked during production, some more so than others. Through normal use the out of aligned case continues to weaken and twist. Have you ever tried to straighten alum to its original shape after it has been bent? You may get it close but that slight bend always remains a week point and continues to get worse over time.

Actually if you want to see the pics email me and I will send them

Last edited:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I will post the pics I sent to Apple tomarrow. My thought is that the case is being tweaked during production, some more so than others. Through normal use the out of aligned case continues to weaken and twist. Have you ever tried to straighten alum to its original shape after it has been bent? You may get it close but that slight bend always remains a week point and continues to get worse over time.

Actually if you want to see the pics email me and I will send them

Just post them. No one is going to give a complete stranger their email and you should probably remove yours at spammers can pick it up easily on here.

Last edited:

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
These bent phones were they getting hot? Maybe this is a heat/cooling cycle causing deformation of the aluminum. Like butter ;)

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
No, they are bending from pressure. The people with the issue probably feel they did not put enough pressure to bend the phone, but that is why it's happening. Sitting on it in back or front pocket can cause this. The aluminum-6061 non-tempered at that thickness is actually very easy to bend. Can be done by hand.

Solution-bend it back. Out it on flat hard table. Put wash cloth over phone. Place large heavy flat book on top. Put even downward pressure and keep checking your work. It will bend back.

I meant that as sarcasm. :p.

No they are not just bending. So few of them after millions of them sold, are reported bending, and I can almost bet they did something to them that caused this, like banging it, sitting on it hard or over a period of time, or perhaps laid something heavy on it. So few have reported this, and some are just not telling the whole truth. :p

Most others have had no issue with them. Go figure

Again, sarcasm.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
iphone-5-bend-2.jpg

Scott%20Hale%20Bent%20iPhone1.jpg

bent%203-1024x768.jpg

img0558ya.jpg

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1493448/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1452478/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1475358/

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I don't see how people think just because you put a plastic and rubber case over a phone that it's somehow not bendable. Last time I tried, plastic and rubber both bent MORE than metal and therefore, Otterbox Defender or whatever, the phone can still bend in the case.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
Kind of sounds like you got ripped off. It should have only cost you 229 you didn't have to buy apple care +. I really hope they didn't already charge you a replacement and leave you with one.

I did not get ripped off. I did not have to buy Apple Care +. I chose to. I took responsibility for busting up my phone. They don't bend by themselves.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
The vast majority of these complaints have 1 thing in common: The owner kept the phone inside a huge oversize case.

Have you considered that the case is RESPONSIBLE for bending the phone? It might interact with the phone in a way that makes it bend, by adding leverage or creating a stress point.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I see a short yellow bus in your future.

Show me one instance anywhere on the entire Internet or in the entire world where anyone with a bent iPhone 5 has proven that it wasn't bent with excessive force or some type of other accidental damage. If you can prove to me that any of these were damaged fom normal use then I will go out and buy a short yellow bus and drive out to you so you can make fun of me in person.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Show me one instance anywhere on the entire Internet or in the entire world where anyone with a bent iPhone 5 has proven that it wasn't bent with excessive force or some type of other accidental damage. If you can prove to me that any of these were damaged fom normal use then I will go out and buy a short yellow bus and drive out to you so you can make fun of me in person.

Dang, that would be something worth seeing. However, extremely unlikely. Things to just bend by themselves so no buses shall be purchased.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.