Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Boring. We want iTunes 11 and Aperture 4.

Your post is quite off-topic, but I agree on iTunes 11 and Aperture 4. I'm ready to purchase Aperture, but I just have a gut feeling there must be a substantial update right around a corner... And most likely it won' t be free. :rolleyes:

Regarding CS6 & retina - personally I think Illustrator should be first to get it. Hope it's in the pipeline.

BTW, Pixelmator, the ever-more-awesome Photoshop alternative already has retina support, is super fast, costs fabulously reasonable money and for hobby/casual user is quickly becoming THE best option out there! And with the constantly added features Pixelmator is becoming more and more suitable for professional use as well.

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I'm still not sure why would web designers use a Retina MacBook Pro for design. Designing things on a screen that is different from what most people are using seems troublesome.

It's not different--it's 'better' in the sense it's higher resolution, more accurate (than most laptop panels), but it's still the 'same' when viewing on any other monitor. Most folks are shooting higher resolution photos than our monitors can provide...so it's actually easier for the designers are able to see more detail and work more efficiently in a portable manner. Just as Lucas Arts masters soundtrack for movies in a multi-million dollar sound lab, it still sounds good on your TV speakers---in web design/photography, video production, et al...programming or designing for the highest common denominator takes nothing away from the lowest--if that makes sense?

Just Photoshop CS6? Does Adobe have 1 developer working on all the CS products?

While I was a little concerned at the end of the video that it specifically and only mentions PS---the video was working between After Effects, I think I saw Premier for a couple seconds, and the integration between the 3 with PS. I'm hoping, like you and others...that the other 'members' of the suite will also be Retina-Ized:) Though I am still using Premier, AE and Audition on my rMBP without issue

J

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
While I was a little concerned at the end of the video that it specifically and only mentions PS---the video was working between After Effects, I think I saw Premier for a couple seconds, and the integration between the 3 with PS. I'm hoping, like you and others...that the other 'members' of the suite will also be Retina-Ized:) Though I am still using Premier, AE and Audition on my rMBP without issue

J

The video only shows PS. The timeline you saw is the timeline panel in PS, not Premiere. And the moving footage with the vignetting was also PS, not AE. Adobe's put quite bit of video functionality into PS now.

exkeks

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
Not sure if that is a rMBP..Before you start the video, you can see what appears to be an optical drive on the right and side of the computer.

If you look through the video carefully, you will see that it begins with a MBPR and switches to a regular MBP at 0:13. So lets keep the hope up! :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Finally! This is why you should never buy first-generation products from Apple. I mean you should, otherwise we wouldn't have anyone to test them and iron out the problems for everyone else :D.

And for those saying that Adobe was slow, yes they were but do note that they're adding a brand new feature for free to an existing version of Photoshop, which is not something that you'd expect. They could just make us wait for CS6.5 and make everyone pay for it, and it would be completely fair. It's Apple's idea to introduce such new technology, and I'm sure they wanted Adobe to support it for free so that rMBP users get some benefit of buying a laptop that isn't really supported by anything other than twitter and a few apps that don't even need retina support to work.

I think that retina support in Photoshop is an amazing thing, and I really hope that it means you can display images at a higher DPI, so that you can see more of the image without zooming in. Hope it's not just limited to crisper cursors, seriously.

Otterblue

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
Canada
Your post is quite off-topic, but I agree on iTunes 11 and Aperture 4. I'm ready to purchase Aperture, but I just have a gut feeling there must be a substantial update right around a corner... And most likely it won' t be free. :rolleyes:

Regarding CS6 & retina - personally I think Illustrator should be first to get it. Hope it's in the pipeline.

BTW, Pixelmator, the ever-more-awesome Photoshop alternative already has retina support, is super fast, costs fabulously reasonable money and for hobby/casual user is quickly becoming THE best option out there! And with the constantly added features Pixelmator is becoming more and more suitable for professional use as well.

I second Pixelmator. Much nicer GUI and tighter OS X integration. And you can't beat the price. But for those many things you can't do with Pixelmator, pay Adobe.

There's always a problem with cross-platform apps, they're made for one or the other or else stuck in-between (the worst kind). I wish Adobe would stop trying to make the Windows and Mac version of their programs look and work the same. Sure, it'll be easier for cross platform work, but then you lack the features that take full advantage of the OS. Google Chrome is an example of a well developed crossed platform app.

On an unrelated note, we also want iLife and iWork '13 or whatever they're called.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada

J

Premiere CS6 has been optimized for retina for a couple months now in case you weren't aware.

I'm looking forward to the new retina PS update, cudos to adobe. Unlike a lot of the ungratefuls out there complaining about the time it took, I didn't/don't expect adobe to drop everything and cater updates to a single machine that less than a fraction of a percent of the user-base is using.

Bezetos

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
far away from an Apple store
It's not different--it's 'better' in the sense it's higher resolution, more accurate (than most laptop panels), but it's still the 'same' when viewing on any other monitor. Most folks are shooting higher resolution photos than our monitors can provide...so it's actually easier for the designers are able to see more detail and work more efficiently in a portable manner.
That's good for print designers, not web designers.

----------

Most web designers I know use better screens then 99% of what there users use.

Most people have really crappy displays but your not going to design on what most of your users are using.

But this is a significantly different screen, it has a lot higher pixel density than other screens and it's UI is already scaled.

It's all about the pixels.

Tremulant

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
US
I love the new crop tool in cs6. But hey, if you like the old version, at least just put an option in there to use the old version and let us who like the new version continue to use it.

An option for using the old crop tool? Yeah, it's called not upgrading.

I love everything about CS6 so far, except for the lack of retina support. Really looking forward to the upgrade, because it looks awful on retina.

Last edited:

KeithPratt

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2007

Attachments

• Screen shot.png
    Screen shot.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 80

SpinThis!

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2007
Inside the Machine (Green Bay, WI)
Especially considering these are, you know, graphics products.

You'd expect Adobe to have resolution-independent versions of all of their icons and glyphs.
It's not just replacing all the icons and UI with higher resolution versions. It's modifying all the image handling code—everything that displays or previews things to the display needs to get updated.

Good design takes time. So does good programming. The MBP 15" really just came out in late June and the 13" in October. How long do yo think it should have taken? If Adobe rushed this out and it was full of bugs, you'd be complaining it was garbage too.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I'm curious to know how it will handle viewing the photos.

Will they be half as big as they would on a normal because of the retina and it will keep displaying them at absolute size?

Will they double them by view only so it stays the same as a non retina?

Will they have an option that tells it it's a retina image so it displays at retina resolution on the retina screen?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
But low-res Photoshop makes your photo look better!

Seriously speaking, I wouldn't want this. Photoshop updates seem to make Photoshop slower and slower, and this is a waste of computer resources. Really, who cares if the buttons in Photoshop don't have the required pixel density to look like real life (in terms of resolution) to the eye?

----------

...just for the record, why is it Adobe's problem that Apple created a laptop that made industry standard apps "painful to use"?

It sounds like an "Apple fail" to me, not an Adobe problem.

Why are you asking him this question? He didn't say it was Adobe's fault, just that it's painful to use. And I disagree with him. Nothing on my Mac is retina, and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Seriously though, it's an Apple fail that they made their screens have a high pixel density??? I wouldn't blame anyone for Photoshop being low-res compared to other stuff in Mac OS. It's a cross-platform program.

----------

Boring. We want iTunes 11 and Aperture 4.

Well, I DON'T want iTunes 11. If it doesn't support Snow Leopard, I can't update my iPhone past where it is now. And please don't tell me to get a new computer, which others have said. My computer can run Mountain Lion, but I want Rosetta, and let's not forget that iTunes STILL supports Windows XP, which can run on a 1998 PC!

Even if it still supports SL, that just brings us closer to iTunes 12. The updates really bring nothing new to the table except for the system requirements and maybe a few little features here and there. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the removal of Ping from iTunes now that it's defunct.

----------

By the way, Adobe really needs competitors.

The funny thing is that I read somewhere (forget where) that Adobe benefited greatly from piracy of their software. Nothing spreads a new standard like a good program that many buy and many of the rest steal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.