Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I like that the wallpaper threads has a sub section, but why close the big threads like the iphone wallpaper thread? I don't want to open 30 different threads just to see 5 images that people have posted. I mainly use macrumors to find my iphone 5 wallpaper. Now I'll have to go elsewhere.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Agreed. It was nice to see all the wallpapers collected in ONE single thread, albeit the wood ones of course. :p

This is exactly what we wanted to avoid. The point is to make it easier for members to find the themes they're interested in. The large threads were closed (but not deleted) to encourage people to use themed threads. There may not be many images in all threads yet, but experience has shown that the threads grow pretty quickly.

No change will please everyone, but this particular change was in response to member feedback.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
annk, right now the place is a nightmare. You have people wanting various iPhone 4 wallpaper, all kinds of iPhone 5 wallpaper, iPad wallpaper, and iPad mini wallpaper all in the same forum.

Maybe things will sort itself out eventually, but imo it's a train wreck as of now.

I also feel that closing the giant iPhone 5 wallpaper thread was a bit premature until the new section gets more established.

----------

I think the giant thread is great to see all kinds of wallpaper in, while the more niche types of wallpaper (ex: wood, name badges, anime, minimalistic, sports, cars etc...) could have their own thread.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
So, my general iPhone 5 wallpaper thread was just closed. Am I supposed to create 7 different threads, and thus fragmenting the whole place to oblivion in order to post pictures that all need their own category?

The thread was for any nsfw picture that didn't fit into any specific niche category.

:confused:

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
I think the giant thread is great to see all kinds of wallpaper in, while the more niche types of wallpaper (ex: wood, name badges, anime, minimalistic, sports, cars etc...) could have their own thread.

That was the train wreck IMO. Just stuff everywhere. This has some sort of order, and it'll just take some time for people to realize how it works.

... just like Facebook...

facebook-changes-in-a-nutshell-27789-1316718340-9-1-495x662.jpg

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Am I supposed to create 7 different threads, and thus fragmenting the whole place to oblivion in order to post pictures that all need their own category?
I would think you would create a thread where you see a need or a question, just like any other sub-forum here at MR.

If you want to create a thread about badges, then do so, or if you want want about boats or cars then do so. Its really no different then any other forum here. Prefixes help with the categorization and searching but I recommend you use accurate and precise titles as well

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
That was the train wreck IMO. Just stuff everywhere. This has some sort of order, and it'll just take some time for people to realize how it works.

I agree. The old massive threads were a bunch of crap mixed in with a few things I was interested in. This system is much better. And to be fair, I think it's fairly easy to find and navigate through the new setup as well. :confused:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I agree. The old massive threads were a bunch of crap mixed in with a few things I was interested in. This system is much better. And to be fair, I think it's fairly easy to find and navigate through the new setup as well. :confused:

That's the signal we were getting before we made the change.

Basically, while I understand that the change can throw people who weren't expecting it and who were used to dealing with it the way it was, my advice is just to give it a chance. We made the change to make it more organised for all the members who are interested in wallpapers. Those of you who aren't convinced, just give it a while and see if it isn't actually easier once you're used to it. We did this as a service, not to annoy you. :)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I don't like the change

I mean, the old setup is still there for OSX desktops. iOS devices should be no different IMO

OSX wallpaper threads will also be posted in the new forum. Screenshots of your desktop are different, as they are not offered for other members to download and use on their devices.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I came here to say the exact same thing. The wallpaper setup now is ridiculous.

Its way over bloated and messy, and to think how hard we had to champion to get an Android subforum :confused:

I much prefered it when I visited the iPhone forum to see one wallpaper thread with everything in just one place.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
^ cheers, mate! I'm kinda hoping the whole thing falls to pieces so we can get this back to the old way, or a compromise can be made. It's a bloody mess right now. It's unusable for me.

I don't care about request threads, not interested in 5th row icon design, nor cars, wood, badges, white iPhone walls, comics/cartoons, keep calm, babes, hunks, sports, wooden logos, anime, video games, nor icon wallpaper.

What I did like, was a general all purpose thread for wallpaper that didn't really fit a specific category.

Furthermore, lets say I were interested in keep calm wallpapers. Well, there is already an iPhone 5 keep calm thread. But let's say I own an iPhone 4. So then I need to create an iPhone 4 keep calm thread separate from the iPhone 5 one, and I'm sure pictures will overlap in each thread.

The whole damn place is a mess. I think the new rules could work, but we really need a miscellaneous wallpaper (general wallpaper) thread, and let people who wish to post more specific types of wallpaper in their own thread if they so choose.

They key phrase is "if they so choose."

Sigh, I shouldn't have said "I hope the whole thing falls to pieces." :( I dearly love macrumors, and am out of line for saying that. I am sorry. If the general population is happy with the new rules, then all has been for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
or a compromise can be made.

What type of compromise do you suggest? Throw out some suggestions. The current method is not set in stone. If someone comes up with something potentially better than others agree we'll certainty talk about it and see if it's feasible and worth changing. If it's that bad, help us improve it. :)

And for the record, IMO the old way a a big pile of steaming poo. I had to look at hundreds of pages when I only really cared about a few images. I'm not saying the new way is perfect, but I think it's a vast improvement.

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
Well, like I said in my earlier post, let us have a general misc thread, while others can branch off and create their own "niche" threads if they wish. Or, they may rather post in the general misc thread. Why not let each user choose where they prefer to post their image.

Also, if you look at big wallpaper sites, they usually post everything to one huge area. The sites who have tried to tag each and every image, or place each image into a specific category, usually end up not having very much content.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Well, like I said in my earlier post, let us have a general misc thread, while others can branch off and create their own "niche" threads if they wish. Or, they may rather post in the general misc thread. Why not let each user choose where they prefer to post their image.

Are there wallpapers you feel like you can't post due to the new arrangement?

The issue with a giant miscellaneous thread is that will be the only thread posted to. Instead of a giant miscellaneous thread, you now have a giant miscellaneous forum where you can push various bits of content into categorized threads. We may in the future allow for a general thread but we'd like to allow specific threads to only be made for a while. A general thread would prevent that as people wouldn't post anywhere else.

If you don't enjoy the current setup you're free to use other wallpaper sites of course. MacRumors forum software isn't particularly well equipped to be a wallpaper site but we're trying to do our best with what we have. Keep in mind I'm not saying that to dissuade you from voicing your opinion, you're certainly welcome to do so.

There are a fair amount of people that support the current setup also, as they requested it.

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
This is a dang mess !

What use to be two threads that we could have book marked and checked in on to see what was new of contribute to has now been turned into a section of chaos. Most things the mods do are better for the site but this has got to one of the worst. We don't need a category for every image. The old thread was much much better.
:(

tiggger

macrumors G4
Feb 19, 2010
i too liked the popular threads like those below.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1434153/
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1123619/

just a suggestion, why can't the mods just close the thread when it reaches say 50 pages or 75 pages and start a new one? that way you don't have 100's of pages to weed through in one thread.

personally i enjoyed going back through the pages i missed if i hadn't been online for a few days. it was awesome to see the different variety of wallpapers all in one thread.

also, for those that like to create wallpapers for others it was quick and easy to scroll through and find the requests.

Last edited:

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
also, for those that like to create wallpapers for others it was quick and easy to scroll through and find the requests.

For the most part those are still in one thread, so how does it really differ?

There aren't that many active threads on any one day, or even in a week. Are there?

B

tiggger

macrumors G4
Feb 19, 2010
For the most part those are still in one thread, so how does it really differ?

There aren't that many active threads on any one day, or even in a week. Are there?

B

no they are not in just one thread for the most part, the wallpaper requests in case you haven't noticed are in separate threads... :rolleyes:

it's just not as convenient having to open numerous threads looking for requests to do for people.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.