Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

How do I change channels, HDHomeRun/iMac in other room?

If I have a HDHomeRun hooked up to the iMac in one room and a TV in the other. How can I change channels on the TV in the other room?
Qwerty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:56 AM   #2
bornblind
macrumors regular

You will need a media extender connected to the TV. The cheapest is a XBox 360. You also have to have Windows Media Center running on a PC/Mac.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
If I have a HDHomeRun hooked up to the iMac in one room and a TV in the other. How can I change channels on the TV in the other room?
Please clarify: are you saying you are watching the EyeTV content from your mac on the TV in the other room, and want a handy way to change channels while watching the TV without walking over to your iMac?

(ie: Do you mean that you are somehow streaming the iMac's EyeTV content to the TV in the other room? Are you doing this through Apple TV Airplay Mirroring? Or do you just have the mac hooked up to the TV via AV cables?)

If I understand correctly and you are watching the EyeTV content on the TV, then you are basically just looking for a way to control your mac without being in the same room. For that, you have a couple of options:

1. If you have an iDevice (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch), then check out apps like Rowmote and AirMouse. Both allow you to control your Mac over wi-fi using your iDevice. I like AirMouse because it basically makes your iPhone into a remote trackpad and this would mean when you are watching your mac's mirrored screen on the TV you can see the cursor move on the screen as you control it from your iPhone. Rowmote is good two, and simulates an Apple Remote, so may be more appropriate if you are mainly using it to control EyeTV. I have used both for exactly this purpose and it works fine. Just a few bucks for either app. There are other apps that actually let you see your mac's screen on your iDevice, which is overkill for your purpose, but theoretically would work. example: splash top, VNC, etc.

2. If you don't have an iDevice, you could pick up an RF remote for the mac, like this: http://www.amazon.com/Remote-Front-R.../dp/B000FBK3RE These remotes are not IR, so they don't require line-of-sight, but their range may not be great, so it may not go through walls. (read the fine print: some are more powerful than others and hence have better range).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornblind View Post
You will need a media extender connected to the TV. The cheapest is a XBox 360. You also have to have Windows Media Center running on a PC/Mac.
Actually, the cheapest media extender is almost surely a refurbished Apple TV, at $85 plus tax, with free shipping.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

So the computer is in my home theater. The TV in the living room will also be hooked up to the home theater computer. I want to be able to change to channels in the living room, while the home theater is being used.

Last edited by Qwerty11; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Qwerty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:27 PM   #5
dgalvan123
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
So the computer is in my home theater. The TV in the living room will also be hooked up to the home theater computer. I want to be able to change to channels in the living room computer while the home theater is being used.
Ok. Then I think my suggestions 1 and 2 still apply. You basically just want to control your mac from another room, which is what those suggestions are for.
dgalvan123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater