Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
My father has an iPhone 5 on Verizon. He drives a lot and the past couple weeks he has had tons of dropped calls when his iPhone switches between Verizon's 3G and LTE. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an iPhone 5 on AT&T and have never has it happen. I'm just wondering if its something with his hardware, or iOS, or Verizon's towers.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Data is cancelled when a Verizon customer is on a phone call. Verizon doesn't do voice over LTE. It does voice over CDMA. Yes, LTE will switch to 3G when your not on a phone call depending on if your out of LTE coverage or not.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 24, 2010
Data is cancelled when a Verizon customer is on a phone call. Verizon doesn't do voice over LTE. It does voice over CDMA. Yes, LTE will switch to 3G when your not on a phone call depending on if your out of LTE coverage or not.

So because he switches from 3G to LTE his calls get dropped because LTE doesn't do voice? That doesn't sound right.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
So because he switches from 3G to LTE his calls get dropped because LTE doesn't do voice? That doesn't sound right.

When your on a phone call using a Verizon. You cannot use data. 3G and LTE is turned off during a phone call. That's what I'm saying. So you saying 3G switching to LTE is causing dropped calls is moot because data is turned off during a phone call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.