Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
So my new MacBook Air is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, my first Mac, and I'm getting mixed answers regarding antivirus. I've heard everything from yes it's necessary to they do more harm than good.

I don't plan on downloading any pirated software... Music on the other hand, well I buy most songs from iTunes but use uTorrent on occasion.

Can you please shed some light on what is best and what you guys do? Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
So my new MacBook Air is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, my first Mac, and I'm getting mixed answers regarding antivirus. I've heard everything from yes it's necessary to they do more harm than good.

I don't plan on downloading any pirated software... Music on the other hand, well I buy most songs from iTunes but use uTorrent on occasion.

Can you please shed some light on what is best and what you guys do? Thanks!

DON'T worry about anything! Install an ad blocker on Safari or whatever browser you use. Be wary to links that pop up and ask for permission to your system, that you don't know. Switched from PC in 2008, and haven't had one virus, malware, any kind of scare since then! I use torrents, all the time, also. :rolleyes:

AppleAlfred

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2012
Canada
Currently there are zero viruses affecting Mac OS X in public circulation, but there are other kinds of malware existing, that can infect your Mac.
To learn more about malware in Mac OS X and what steps can be taken to protect yourself, read the following F.A.Q.:

DON'T worry about anything! Install an ad blocker on Safari or whatever browser you use. Be wary to links that pop up and ask for permission to your system, that you don't know. Switched from PC in 2008, and haven't had one virus, malware, any kind of scare since then! I use torrents, all the time, also. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reassurance! Any recommendations for a good safari ad blocker?

MadTester

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2012
Thanks for the reassurance! Any recommendations for a good safari ad blocker?

Try DoNotTrack and AdBlock.... also try ClamXav (for your email client... I use this on Mail as you will more than likely have some sort of malware in your mails (if you use webmail).

HTH

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Ive just joined the mac world from a PC one where AV is an absolute must. Most problems are malware, software which you run thinking its something else. As long as your sensible your OK. Plus Mountain Lion includes the option to only run signed software.

My advice. Install Bitdefender from the app store. It runs when you tell it to so not always in the background. Just sweep your machine once a week or so to make sure but certainly no need for any always on protection.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
Go to Safari extension's webpage and it's called AdBlock. I've been using it for at least a year, and it is AWESOME!!! I don't see all the clutter that other's do when viewing web pages.

http://safariadblock.com/

This should be the correct link, above^^^ :cool:

I run several ad-blockers. ClickToFlash, Safari AdBlock, GlimmerBlocker and JavaScript Blocker are just a few.

Thanks, both. I just downloaded the safari ad blocker. I didn't know this existed. It's BRILLIANT :cool::D

OP, I switched to mac about a year ago and have not been using any anti virus. No problems so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.