Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Lets see how it goes, Im curious:D

OMGGGG...

So, I restored and I started to activate through iTunes, when I get this:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

:eek: :confused:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
OMGGGG...

So, I restored and I started to activate through iTunes, when I get this:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that came with your iPhone or visit a supported Carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

:eek: :confused:

LMAO:D
So I guess its not an AT&T iphone 4S afterall:D

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
LMAO:D
So I guess its not an AT&T iphone 4S afterall:D

:confused:

But that's the original SIM! My friend gave this to me since he was getting an iPhone 5. He told me he hasn't changed a thing on this phone, much less switched out SIM cards. And since I restored, I'm stuck at the activation screen now. Guess this thing is a doorstop...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
:confused:

But that's the original SIM! My friend gave this to me since he was getting an iPhone 5. He told me he hasn't changed a thing on this phone, much less switched out SIM cards. And since I restored, I'm stuck at the activation screen now. Guess this thing is a doorstop...

Your friend lied to you.
It doesnt matter if its the original sim or any AT&T would activate it fine if it was locked to AT&T or an AT&T iphone 4S.
That's why unlock fusion couldnt unlock it for you also.
It all makes sense now:)

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Went to the Apple Store to replace my unlock_fusion unlocked phone about two hours ago.. and it's locked. They bitched at me and said the system rang it up as an unauthorized unlock and gave me this one and basically told me to be on my way. Now it's two hours later and the unlock still hasn't transferred so I'm thinking something actually did go wrong. Already purchased another unlock from them.. we'll see. For now I'm out of a phone.. woot! :mad:

edit. . i spoke too soon! WHY DID THAT TAKE SO LONG TO TRANSFER Dx works now.. false alarm.

edit edit: i lied. it was just my second purchased unlock going through.. they really did give me a locked one after telling me my unlock was unauthorized. so stupid..

Last edited:

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Your friend lied to you.
It doesnt matter if its the original sim or any AT&T would activate it fine if it was locked to AT&T or an AT&T iphone 4S.
That's why unlock fusion couldnt unlock it for you also.
It all makes sense now:)

So, if the iPhone was bought straight from the :apple: store and activated at the store through AT&T, it's not AT&T locked, right?

So, since my phone's stuck on the activation screen, is there anything I can do?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
So, if the iPhone was bought straight from the :apple: store and activated at the store through AT&T, it's not AT&T locked, right?

So, since my phone's stuck on the activation screen, is there anything I can do?

Not sure man.
Not even sure what carrier its locked to.
Whatever it is its not an AT&T iphone. Maybe it came from Canada or any other country and its locked to another carrier. But its hard to find out to what company its locked to. Contact apple and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you what carrier its locked to by giving them the serial number.

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Not sure man.
Not even sure what carrier its locked to.
Whatever it is its not an AT&T iphone. Maybe it came from Canada or any other country and its locked to another carrier. But its hard to find out to what company its locked to. Contact apple and see what they say. Maybe they will tell you what carrier its locked to by giving them the serial number.

:(
Alright. I'm going to try and figure this out and report back. This is really weird. Lol.
Okay. What do you consider an Apple iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5 "locked" to AT&T? Do you have to buy it straight from AT&T through a branch or online? I've been trying to ask myself that question because I can't make any sense out of this situation.
AND thanks for your help, man! I really appreciate it. :)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
:(
Alright. I'm going to try and figure this out and report back. This is really weird. Lol.
Okay. What do you consider an Apple iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S/5 "locked" to AT&T? Do you have to buy it straight from AT&T through a branch or online? I've been trying to ask myself that question because I can't make any sense out of this situation.
AND thanks for your help, man! I really appreciate it. :)

Yes, I dont get it either but at least now we know its not an AT&T iphone. Its locked to another carrier.
An AT&T locked iphone is sold by Apple, at&t, bestbuy and you can buy it in many places with an AT&T account. Also walmart, target etc...
Hope it works out in the end man. You're welcome.;)

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Yes, I dont get it either but at least now we know its not an AT&T iphone. Its locked to another carrier.
An AT&T locked iphone is sold by Apple, at&t, bestbuy and you can buy it in many places with an AT&T account. Also walmart, target etc...
Hope it works out in the end man. You're welcome.;)

Called an Apple representative at one of branches closest to me, and they said they can't find out what carrier the iPhone is locked to. :(

What an expensive paperweight! :eek:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Called an Apple representative at one of branches closest to me, and they said they can't find out what carrier the iPhone is locked to. :(

What an expensive paperweight! :eek:

Sucks.
I remember there was a site that when you input your IMEI it told you what carrier the phone is locked to.
Cant remember exactly the url address though.

Shecky1

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
Sucks.
I remember there was a site that when you input your IMEI it told you what carrier the phone is locked to.
Cant remember exactly the url address though.

Got some more info here. Called up my friend and asked him if he could ask AT&T to unlock the iPhone. So, he calls up AT&T and gives the IMEI number of the iPhone. AT&T tells him the phone was reported stolen. He told them how could that be because he got the phone from an AT&T branch store, brand new! And he's been using that iPhone 4S before he sold it to me and got the iPhone 5. So, he's currently trying to figure out what's going on.

I mean, seriously, how can you give a brand new iPhone to someone that was reported stolen? Thanks, bro. :rolleyes:

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Went to the Apple Store to replace my unlock_fusion unlocked phone about two hours ago.. and it's locked. They bitched at me and said the system rang it up as an unauthorized unlock and gave me this one and basically told me to be on my way. Now it's two hours later and the unlock still hasn't transferred so I'm thinking something actually did go wrong. Already purchased another unlock from them.. we'll see. For now I'm out of a phone.. woot! :mad:

edit. . i spoke too soon! WHY DID THAT TAKE SO LONG TO TRANSFER Dx works now.. false alarm.

edit edit: i lied. it was just my second purchased unlock going through.. they really did give me a locked one after telling me my unlock was unauthorized. so stupid..

Hmm, that sucks.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
I had AT&T unlock my original iP4 that was out of contract. I sold it and bought a used (yet mint) 64GB iP4S. AT&T unlocked it no problem too. My wife dropped her iP4S (still under contract) into a lake so we bought her another used iP4S with the insurance money...AT&T refused to unlock hers even though she's on my family plan...Unlock_Fusion and $3.72 or whatever later and it too is unlocked. Cool story.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Unlocked phones

I am sick of this locked phones, i allwayes buy unlocked phones (iphone)
paying high price, now Apple don't sell unlocked iphone 5 in the US,(why we are hostage of ower providers?)
I just ordered my new nexus unlocked google phone for $349
good price, hope it will work good.
Apple lost me

robopath

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010

That is very interesting, I think that is the first confirmation that the fusion unlocks are "unauthorized". Not that it surprises me, but now we know that their systems delineate the legit unlocks from the ebay ones.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
That is very interesting, I think that is the first confirmation that the fusion unlocks are "unauthorized". Not that it surprises me, but now we know that their systems delineate the legit unlocks from the ebay ones.

Yeah I've never heard of it happening to anyone before. If it matters, it was my third swap due to defects. The other two times, the unlocks transferred flawlessly. This time that's what they said word for word.. It was an unauthorized unlock. So weird!

zamudiovsky

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
I'm about to get an unlock from unlock_fusion for my iphone 5.
before I do it, I want to make sure I do it right; when do I send them my IMEI number? do I added to the "comments" section when you purchase it? or do they send you an email with the instructions on where to send it?

thanks!

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm about to get an unlock from unlock_fusion for my iphone 5.
before I do it, I want to make sure I do it right; when do I send them my IMEI number? do I added to the "comments" section when you purchase it? or do they send you an email with the instructions on where to send it?

thanks!

You will get an email with instructions. No need to add your IMEI number to your ebay comments

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.