Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
I recently bought a Time Capsule to replace my router and back up all of my files from my PC and my Macbook Pro. I've been led to believe that backing up your iPhoto library is as simple as dragging and dropping the single file. The problem is that it is EXTREMELY slow, and I cannot figure out why. I've tried ethernet, wi-fi 2.4 GHz, and wi-fi 5 GHz, but the result is the same. It shoots up to about 293 MB rather quickly but then comes to a grinding halt and chugs along at about 100 KB/sec, telling me that it will take 16 hours to copy 44 gigs. Insane! Does anyone have any advice?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
When connected via wired ethernet, click on Network in system prefs and then the advanced tab of the connection and look for this screen to see if you are connected at 1000baseT. It sounds like maybe you are only connected at 100baseT.

O5Uk5.png

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
I turned off wi-fi just to avoid any problems with it. The problem isn't network connectivity at all. I tried just copying the iPhoto library to my desktop, and I got the same exact problem. It shoots up to 293 megs before slowing down to a crawl (around 200-300 KB/sec).
Interestingly, I also tried copying the Masters folder from within the library (about 39 gigs) to the Time Capsule, and it works beautifully. There is something about the single library file itself that will not move anywhere with any sort of haste!
I talked to the Apple folks on the phone, repaired permissions, etc...still no dice. They said to just let it go and do its thing; that sometimes it goes really slowly at first before getting up to normal speed, due to the structure of the library or something. I dunno. Fingers crossed!

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
When connected via wired ethernet, click on Network in system prefs and then the advanced tab of the connection and look for this screen to see if you are connected at 1000baseT. It sounds like maybe you are only connected at 100baseT.

O5Uk5.png

Not really relevant to the topic but you are showing the Airport Utility 5.6.1 or below. If they just bought it and do regular updates they may be on 6.x which loses some of the fine tweaking.

bawuva

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I would go ahead and just let it run. I had the same problem - it showed 16 hours to copy the whole file (was really quick for the first 600MB). Once it got going, it sped up and was done pretty quick.

US Marine

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Charleston, SC
I let it run overnight, and it eventually finished. The library has over 90000 files, most of which are very small. Copying large numbers of small files always takes a long time. Not sure why. That just seems to be how computers work. LOL

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Not really relevant to the topic but you are showing the Airport Utility 5.6.1 or below. If they just bought it and do regular updates they may be on 6.x which loses some of the fine tweaking.

Nope, you are mistaken. That screen shot is from Mountain Lion's System Prefs. Network panel. It has nothing to do with Airport Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.