Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sandsb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2012
My mom has my brother's old iPhone 4. He jailbroke it before giving it to her and I want to un-jailbreak it. She doesn't have a PC. Can I just do a restore?
If not, can someone give me the specific steps to get this back to normal? I know she'll probably have to reconfigure her email and reinstall apps, etc. But I don't want this thing jailbroken anymore.
Thank you

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
To add to the above advice, DO NOT attempt to reset it via the option in the setting menu. Doing this with with a jailbroken phone will cause you a serious headache.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Yeah it worked for me on my iPhone 4 many times. Had redsn0w jailbreak, I do a reset from settings, and it goes back to stock.

But anyway since you say it's not a reliable way to do it, then yeah stick to a computer for this task.

braxton34

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah it worked for me on my iPhone 4 many times. Had redsn0w jailbreak, I do a reset from settings, and it goes back to stock.

But anyway since you say it's not a reliable way to do it, then yeah stick to a computer for this task.

I think you're thinking of a "reset all settings" (which does not remove the jailbreak) as opposed to the "erase all contents and settings", which will theoretically remove the jailbreak, but will cause the phone to get stuck on the Apple logo after reboot, requiring a DFU restore in iTunes.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Why would I lie, Applejuiced? It worked for me before. Now that I think about it, it did brick my phone once too. But it certainly worked for a good period of time and I remember even using it 5 times or so in one weekend when I was testing stuff. Maybe it won't work on more modern phones or iOS updates, but it worked at least 3 times for me in the past.

It's a pretty unimportant thing to lie about, no? Or are you going to be a child and go all "no im right ur wrong" on me?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
It's a pretty unimportant thing to lie about, no? Or are you going to be a child and go all "no im right ur wrong" on me?

Be careful here, you basically are give people advise that will sent their device in to a loop, make them restore, possibly loose there jailbreak, loose there unlock or even make them buy a new device cause they can't get it out of that loop.

Just because you "think" you have done it susccesfully does not mean it is is harmless, it is potential disasterous.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
If you could read you'd see clearly that I said to not try it after others said it was unreliable. I merely insisted that it had worked for me before, and it indeed did.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Well i definately read it, that is why i pointed it out that by advising people that i might work you could cause someone to loose their jailbreak or worse.

If you don't have enough background on the risks involved, please don't advise people at all.
Generally speaking people tend to read what they want to read and are going to try it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Why would I lie, Applejuiced? It worked for me before. Now that I think about it, it did brick my phone once too. But it certainly worked for a good period of time and I remember even using it 5 times or so in one weekend when I was testing stuff. Maybe it won't work on more modern phones or iOS updates, but it worked at least 3 times for me in the past.

I guess you're the only one in the world that it worked for then.
Clearly it does not but you insist with your misinformation.
You cannot do an erase all on a jb iphone and return it to stock firmware.
Never ever period.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I guess you're the only one in the world that it worked for then.
Clearly it does not but you insist with your misinformation.
You cannot do an erase all on a jb iphone and return it to stock firmware.
Never ever period.

It's not information at all, it's personal experience, bub. It did work for me in the past. Go cry about the truth if it makes you feel better.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Two dropouts actually. Neither of you can read that I said to not follow my advice. Read up. I simply said it had worked before. That's all.

Since I expect you two to not have the capacity to scroll up, here you go, now in quote format:

Feel free to continue using earplugs as you've been doing, but at this point I seriously hope you two were just ignoring me on purpose and not actually that daft. But this is MacRumors, I couldn't expect less.

Last edited:

Lance3298

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2016
To add to the above advice, DO NOT attempt to reset it via the option in the setting menu. Doing this with with a jailbroken phone will cause you a serious headache.
Yes I did exactly that now I'm stuck on the apple logo with the loading bar and don't know what to do I just bought It I didn't know you couldn't reset a iphone 5 like that and I don't own a pc I'm assuming I will need one for this fix? I heard something about dfu mode but still don't fully understand what to do if you can help with a fix thank you very much:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.