Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JG271

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2007
UK
Hi all,

My current setup is a 2011 macbook pro as my main computer used for logic and games via bootcamp etc

I also have a 2007 mac mini that i use for itunes/spotify and general web browsing. I need far more hard drive space on it (80GB!) but other than that it works fine for what I use it for.

I can get a brad new 2.3ghz i5 mac mini (2011 model, not the new one) for £377, alternatively I was thinking about putting a 512GB SSD in my MBP then fit the 500GB drive in the mac mini for around £300.

Should I replace the old mac mini or use the money to upgrade both macs?

Any input is appreciated.

SpinalTap

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2003
Bournville, UK
I have a 2009 Mac Mini with 500Gb drive, and use a ReadyNAS as a TimeMachine and general storage backpack device.

I also use my Mac Mini to run BootCamp/Windows 7 and Logic Express et al.

Even so, the technology has advanced significantly since 2009 - let alone from the time you first bought your Mac Mini - so I believe that for someone such as yourself a new Mac Mini would certainly be a wise investment (especially with the latest 1Tb drives).

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
If you're happy with it otherwise, upgrade the mini. Buy as big an SSD as you can afford and max the RAM. Newegg has been having a 240GB Vertex 3 for $139 after $20 rebate, and 2GB of DDR2 RAM shouldn't cost much at all (I imagine its a Core Duo model, so 2GB max). You'll be shocked at the difference those two upgrades can make. :D

EDIT: One more thing... :) If it IS a Core Duo model, you can upgrade the CPU to Core 2 Duo pretty easily and cheaply, if you're comfortable taking the mini completely apart. Did it to my Core Solo model in 2008; talk about breathing new life into a tired machine!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.