Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Anyone heard from OWC or any other vendors as to whether they might develop either an aftermarket way to add the SSD package to the 2012 iMacs or to develop a larger SSD to replace the 128gb package?

Would be very nice if there was a way to add in a 256 or 512g SSD in a non-Fusion system, or upgrade the 128gb to a larger one for more speed and more cached files!

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Anyone heard from OWC or any other vendors as to whether they might develop either an aftermarket way to add the SSD package to the 2012 iMacs or to develop a larger SSD to replace the 128gb package?

Would be very nice if there was a way to add in a 256 or 512g SSD in a non-Fusion system, or upgrade the 128gb to a larger one for more speed and more cached files!

If it uses the same blade ssd as the retina Macbook Pro, then they already make them. although they only have the 480GB for 520$ or so.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
If it uses the same blade ssd as the retina Macbook Pro, then they already make them. although they only have the 480GB for 520$ or so.

$500 wouldn't be a bad price if you can add it in aftermarket...

$500 - $150 for what you would pay for the 128gb apple part = $350 for a 480gb vs 128gb fusion drive (assuming the software allows it to be setup)

Will be fun to see what works once they ship!

reflekshun

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2010
The big question I have is - will the drives be user servicable? how difficult will it be to manually swap them out? If it's easy then I will definitely be buying all upgrades from OWC.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
We will know in about a day or two I think, once they figure out how to open it up safely.

cschmelz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Great post, thanks for sharing :)

Interesting.... The implications are huge..I have a friend with an Apple installed (2011 iMac) 256gb SSD and a 1tb hard drive. I was an incredible pain to set up the SSD+HD in a way that would work for him seamlessly. I have the same setup in a 2010 iMac with 2tb HD and 256gb SSD in the optical drive slot.

Maintaining the SSD + HD setup is painful and it sure would be nice if those of us with hacked older machines could use Fusion on our devices to allow CoreStorage to deal with it, instead of me.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Interesting.... The implications are huge..I have a friend with an Apple installed (2011 iMac) 256gb SSD and a 1tb hard drive. I was an incredible pain to set up the SSD+HD in a way that would work for him seamlessly. I have the same setup in a 2010 iMac with 2tb HD and 256gb SSD in the optical drive slot.

Maintaining the SSD + HD setup is painful and it sure would be nice if those of us with hacked older machines could use Fusion on our devices to allow CoreStorage to deal with it, instead of me.

Why not do the Fusion DIY, you deal with it only if a drive dies.

No. As soon as you split the adhesive holding down the display you have voided your warranty.

We don't know that for sure.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
No. As soon as you split the adhesive holding down the display you have voided your warranty.

That was quickly stated as fact. I assume you work for the warranty department with a quick definitive response like that.

Or you have past experience of splitting a new 2012 iMac and then sending it in for service and subsequently having the warranty department tell you that you have voided the warranty.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
$500 wouldn't be a bad price if you can add it in aftermarket...

$500 - $150 for what you would pay for the 128gb apple part = $350 for a 480gb vs 128gb fusion drive (assuming the software allows it to be setup)

Will be fun to see what works once they ship!

At least for the 21.5" teardown that iFixit performed... you do not get the SSD connector unless you order the fusion option. That would indicate the actual price would be: $500 + $150 = $650. It is still cheaper (on a $/GB basis) than Apple's SSD only option... but you take the risk in damaging the computer... and you have the "still unknown" warranty status.

/Jim

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007
That was quickly stated as fact. I assume you work for the warranty department with a quick definitive response like that.

Or you have past experience of splitting a new 2012 iMac and then sending it in for service and subsequently having the warranty department tell you that you have voided the warranty.

It's true that no-one can say for sure but based on Apple policies, guarantee agreements, past experiences and common sense it's a good educated guess to assume that if you perform that type of internal work the warranty flyes away with a 99% chance.

Not necessarly because you have actually damaged the iMac (most likely not), but because it's Apple policy exactly to do everything in their power to avoid user messing up with the product. They have gone to even change screws so to unable the average Joes to mess with them!
It's all part of the "we know what's good for you" mantra, like it or not and just or not.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
Yes, actually we do. The fact that they GLUED the machine tightly closed means tampering will be obvious.

Glued so tightly together that a mere guitar pick can pry it appart, this is not some kind of epoxy, just double sided tape, tampering will not be obvious at all since when they open it up, they will cause the same damage to it that you did beforehand (which should be none at all) specially if you manage to find the same double sided foam tape.

BitterCreek

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Denver
Glued so tightly together that a mere guitar pick can pry it appart
Did you not read about needing a heat gun?

tampering will not be obvious at all since when they open it up, they will cause the same damage to it that you did beforehand
False.
They will not be opened, they are a sealed unit. Much like an iPad/iPhone with a cracked screen or failed internal part, they will simply replace the unit with one of similar specs and send out the warranty unit, either for repair and resale as a refurb or to be recycled.

(which should be none at all)
False.
The heat will damage the LCD.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring

False.
They will not be opened, they are a sealed unit. Much like an iPad/iPhone with a cracked screen or failed internal part, they will simply replace the unit with one of similar specs and send out the warranty unit, either for repair and resale as a refurb or to be recycled.

False.

Not everyone has needed a heat gun. if they won't be opened up even better how will they find out you did?

jediDev

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
"Anyone heard from OWC or any other vendors as to whether they might develop either an aftermarket way to add the SSD package to the 2012 iMacs or to develop a larger SSD to replace the 128gb package?"

See this post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16388327/

I'm pretty sure you don't get a 1TB HD when you order the 256GB SSD. It's 1TB HD + 128GB SSD or 256GB SSD. And that's mini only. There's no 256GB option for iMac AFAIK.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

False.

False.

Oddly there was no heat gun evident in the (edited) opening video. We don't know what they did with the heat gun. Do you have inside information to share?

How do you know the heat will damage the LCD? How much heat is needed to deal with the adhesive tape? How much heat is needed to damage the LCD?

If Apple doesn't open the iMac (as you assert), they won't detect the tampering will they?

You seem to be making claims with great certainty and authority, which is why we're curious about where your knowledge comes from. If you're just making educated guesses, it would be nice if you would say so, and explain your reasoning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.