Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I have noticed a lot of times when speaking on my iPhone 5, I hear this annoying buzz in the little ear speaker. The people on the other end can't hear the buzz. Have anyone in here experienced this?

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
A buzz? Or more like a crackle/distortion?

Does it go away when you lower the volume?

If so, i had a 4S that did this. It drove me crazy. I ended up having to get it replaced for something else, and the replacement didn't do it.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
It's like a constant buzz. I haven't tested what happens when I adjust the volume, but definitely will try next time it happens. This is one of those things that just get more and more annoying everytime it happens :/

Phubler

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I just got a new iPhone 5 about 4 days ago. I'm getting the same annoying buzz. It doesn't feel like the phone is vibrating when it buzzes it just has the sound. It is faint but there. Have you found a solution yet?

Ncragains

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Just asked my wife if she was getting the same noise as my phone. Mine is. Hers is fine. Getting more annoying. Probably going to take it for replacement.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Receiver Buzzing:
This started with the IP4S when data is being loaded, you can run any app (I pick Speedtest) to load data and place the phone to your ear to hear it.

Bottom Speaker Buzzing:
This happens when a game is running, I noticed it back last year when I started to play Infinity Blade 2 on the IP4S.

Go into a totally silent environment, run a game (I pick Angry Birds Seasons), make sure the game vol is dead zero, silent mode on and lift the IP5 speaker to your ear.

Do the same thing when you've existed and killed the everything on the multitask dock, the buzzing is gone.

Infinity Blade 2 does some serious "snap, crackle and pop" sounds when you fast forward the cut scenes.

Last edited:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Buzzgate??!

Think this is the start or buzzgate. We can add this to bendgate and scratchgate for the iPhone 5 lol.

Nah just joking. To the OP. nope not got this issue on mines. If I was you I would just take it to apple for a replacement.

CedricEarl

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2012
Unfortunately I experience this. It is very very faint. But when you first recognize it the faint sound for me is now very prominent. So what did I do? I took it back to apple of course. And they gave me a new phone of course. They then gave me the "don't restore from iCloud backup speech" which is rather annoying be it that I have Over 270 apps. So I didn't. I used my phone (the new one) heading home from the apple store. And of course the faint buzzing started again. I'm over it. I had NOTHING on my phone. I proceeded to individually download everything and not restore. This was about 3 weeks ago. As of today I still tolerate the issue. So if anyone comes up with an answer I'd be glad in knowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.