Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hello,

I bought a new macbook pro, as I hate using pc's for work. I emailed IT asking them how to setup my mac mail and they stated:

"If by "Mail" you mean the built-in client on your Mac, no we don't. We don't support that client since it corrupts mailboxes. "

Has this been resolved? Is there workarounds? Advice?

Thanks!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What your IT guys may mean is that in their experience syncing Mac Mail to their server (the way it's currently configured) has caused issues. What they're not saying is they don't want to track down the issue and resolve it on their end. If you were the CEO, I imagine they would!

I don't know of any particular kind of email system software that totally excludes Mac Mail as a viable client.

Konradx

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What your IT guys may mean is that in their experience syncing Mac Mail to their server (the way it's currently configured) has caused issues. What they're not saying is they don't want to track down the issue and resolve it on their end. If you were the CEO, I imagine they would!

I don't know of any particular kind of email system software that totally excludes Mac Mail as a viable client.

I work a pretty large corporation, that supplies everyone with Thinkpads. So i would be a minority. Are there any workarounds that can work with exchange?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
... I emailed IT asking them how to setup my mac mail and they stated:

"If by "Mail" you mean the built-in client on your Mac, no we don't. We don't support that client since it corrupts mailboxes. "

Has this been resolved? Is there workarounds? Advice?

Thanks!
Here is the deal: If you want to use your Mac at work, then you must learn to support yourself. Your IT staff spends so much time supporting Windows that it has no time to learn how to setup Macs. IT interprets its own ignorance as a Mac problem.

In the case of Exchange, if your firm uses Exchange 2007 or later, then Mail should work fine. FWIW, Microsoft's own Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 has the same compatibility limitation as Mail. The flipside is that Mail should work if Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 works.

Entourage EWS/Outlook 2011 and Mail are supposed to autodiscover the correct Exchange server settings much like the Windows version of Outlook does. If they do not, then copy the settings from a working installation of Outlook on a Windows computer.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Here is the deal: If you want to use your Mac at work, then you must learn to support yourself. Your IT staff spends so much time supporting Windows that it has no time to learn how to setup Macs. IT interprets its own ignorance as a Mac problem.

Might work in your enterprise but I have 600+ Mac's in mine. It's got nothing to do with "so much time supporting Windows". What is frequently has to do is that we support a corporate configuration, and if you want to BYOD, then you support it yourself.

Ignorance is usually on the user side with attitudes you've displayed about corporate IT.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I prefer mail, as i have Outlook on my PC, and i don't like it that much. So has everyone abandoned mac mail?
Outlook for Mac really shares nothing but the name with Outlook for Windows, so you may find it's worth trying, especially if that's what your IT infrastructure will support.
Personally I use Mail/Calendar/Contacts because I too don't really like Outlook for Mac but if Outlook was my only option, that's what I'd use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.