Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
I couldn't believe how sub-par the display is. I love the size and weight but that is a total oversight to not put a retina on it. Very poor display by a company that touts Retina everything.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
After a while, your eyes get back used to it (coming from a retina iPad, that is). Its not that bad.

maverick22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I do not own one, but from what I saw at Best Buy, I did not think the display was bad at all. Maybe my eyes are so bad they can't tell much of a difference between this and retina though haha.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I do not own one, but from what I saw at Best Buy, I did not think the display was bad at all. Maybe my eyes are so bad they can't tell much of a difference between this and retina though haha.
It looks good in a store for a reason - everything looks better in store. Not to say the display is as bad as OP is making it out to be, but it is definitely a step backward in display quality. In terms of portability and design? Top notch. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons.

jester0723

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Virginia
Everyone is freaking out about how it's not retina and it burns their eyes. Jesus, it's not like its black and white. It's just as good as my Macbook Pro - which isn't "retina", but honestly it's not a big deal.

I love my Mini. It's much better for me than the iPad 2. Retina seems like it would be nice, but it's just not a big deal. I've not had anyone complain about the screen quality when they played with it. I think it's great.

The screen quality is fine. If you're on the fence about buying the Mini because people are bitching about the screen, I'd just suggest that it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the older processor. But for now, it fits my needs better than a normal size iPad.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Everyone is freaking out about how it's not retina and it burns their eyes. Jesus, it's not like its black and white. It's just as good as my Macbook Pro - which isn't "retina", but honestly it's not a big deal.

I love my Mini. It's much better for me than the iPad 2. Retina seems like it would be nice, but it's just not a big deal. I've not had anyone complain about the screen quality when they played with it. I think it's great.

The screen quality is fine. If you're on the fence about buying the Mini because people are bitching about the screen, I'd just suggest that it's not nearly as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Personally, I'm much more concerned with the older processor. But for now, it fits my needs better than a normal size iPad.

And the low amount of RAM really sucks. Apps and Safari tabs constantly reloading.

Willyb26

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
...and this is the reason I got an ipad 4 over the mini. One look at that screen and instant disappointment. Maybe I will go for the retina mini next year though.

----------

Only problem is once you get a good look at that retina display, there's really no hesitation. You gotta have it and have it now! Hehe :D

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
You are aware how battery-hungry retina displays are, right?

im sure many would sacrifice some battery life for better screen. i too am not owning the mini and i get to have a look at it in nearby shop. The screen is a let down but i am more disappointed by the feel of it. It just seems too delicate and light. I much prefer it to be a little heavier or maybe because im coming form original ipad feels.

i seriously found ipod touch 4 to have a better durability feel to it.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I couldn't believe how sub-par the display is. I love the size and weight but that is a total oversight to not put a retina on it. Very poor display by a company that touts Retina everything.

Non-retina is fine... the PPI on your TV is MUCH worse.

Things not Retina:
11 inch MBA
13 inch MBA
13 inch MBP
15 inch MBP
17 inch MBP (do they still make this one?)
21.5 inch iMac
27 inch iMac
Mac Mini - Can't buy a Retina Monitor for it.
iPad 2
iPad Mini
AppleTV (you use it on your TV which is not Retina)

Retina Devices:
iPad 4
15 inch MBP
13 inch MBP
iPod Touch 4
iPod Touch 5
iPhone 4
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5

I count more non-retina devices than Retina still...

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Non-retina is fine... the PPI on your TV is MUCH worse.

Agreed. Maybe it's because I currently use an ipad 2, or use a 37 inch tv as a monitor for my mac mini, or it could be that I would much rather have 10 hours of battery life than a retina screen, or maybe, just maybe, I'm willing to give apple credit on a good first draft.

I actually love the mini and am a bit envious. My only problem with the ipad is the heft.

JH19059

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
I originally ordered a Mini but after playing with it I returned in the Apple store. Why? Coming from an Ipad 1 the screen resolution never bothered me but for some reason resolution on the mini did. I believe the smaller footprint had something to do with it, I had to keep zooming in and out of webpages. Also I felt the price point was too high after using it. Ended up getting the "4". I don't see the mini getting retina anytime soon and I see it lagging at least 1 year behind the full sized Ipad in terms of specs. I see apple going the way of their Ipod lineup as how it relates to the Ipads...(Mini, Ipad wo/retina, and Ipad w/retina). All in all I think it's has great promise but there is room for improvement. I think this product was rushed out just for the holiday season to snag the Kindle and Google Nexus market and in doing so they skimped.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Wow, a new topic. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's been nearly a whole day since the same thing has been repeatedly regurgitated to promote nausea.

I use both the 4 and the mini alternately throughout the day, and often forget which one is in my hands. Probably because I'm busy using them, instead of comparing them.

These threads are clutter, IMO.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
This will be like any other apple product. People will complain, some claiming it is a disaster and won't sell well, and within a year everybody will want one anyway.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Those who are surprised or disappointed with the mini's display, fail to understand that comparing it to retina is completely irrelevant. They are vastly different resolutions. If you know displays you don't even have to see the mini in person.

I understand those who prefer retina, and knowing how the general public reacts I think it was a major mistake on Apples part not to include it. Yet the fact that they chose a lower resolution display does not make it bad.

Frankly it's a typical move that Apple makes time after time. Push out a product that's missing a feature, then include that feature in the next version. It creates sales & huge profits for the company that's addicted to profits at all costs.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I've owned my mini since launch day, and the screen isn't bad at all. It's not retina quality, but it's not even close to the garbage people on here are describing it as.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816

I saw one today for the first time, too, and thought it was terrific. I have an iPad 2 and an iPod Touch 5.

I guess if you're accustomed to viewing nothing but a retina screen, you would be unhappy with non-retina. But that's just not the case for most folks.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
This will be like any other apple product. People will complain, some claiming it is a disaster and won't sell well, and within a year everybody will want one anyway.

Wouldn't it be nifty if there was a place for people who are interested in the iPad product line, to share their experiences and expertise, without ridicule and childish proclamations?

As a newb to both the ipad and to the forum, the chaff sure seems to be outweighing the wheat here. Hopefully that settles out soon.

Ayemerica

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Atlantis but in space
Coming from the iPad 3 I can say their is a difference but it isn't going to be a deal breaker for the majority of people who want;

- Smaller footprint
- Weight / Thickness

Who (may/don't) like the mini

- Graphic Arts / Photographers
- Editors / Comic guru's
- Above average viewing times

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
iPad mini is also an introductory product into the iPad family. Those who had interests but never made the leap due to price, size, etc. are starting off with the iPad mini and aren't going to be concerned with iPad minis lack of retina display.

If you want a powerhouse tablet with retina display, get an iPad 3 or 4.

If you want a small, light weight yet powerful tablet and are on a budget -- there's iPad mini.

It's that simple.

Those upset about iPad mini not having retina off the bat -- don't be naive and/or surprised, you know how Apple is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.