Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #1
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
In my opinion it makes sense to always go for the 'main' versions of the iPhone

Because - from what has been seen so far - the S versions always seem to be incremental, with a faster processor and an improved camera with maybe a new feature, as last years was Siri.

But the reason why I think its easier always going for the main versions is because by the time the next number is released - iPhone 6 in this case- you will be ready up upgrade from your previous 24 month contract. The next numbers tend to always be the bigger upgrades as well.

Anyone else agree with me on this, or share a different opinion? Let me know, I enjoy hearing other point of views : )
__________________
27" Imac, 12GB ram (2009),
Macbook Pro Late 2012
Time Capsule (2009 1TB)
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:22 PM   #2
lelisa13p
macrumors 65816
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
You can buy now and enjoy the next 2 years with a great iPhone or wait around for the next release and be bound by that contract period. Your choice. My son and I are on staggered contracts so that one or the other of us qualifies for an upgrade every year, if we wish. We went from 3GS to 4 to 5; I pass down the previous model to him.
lelisa13p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Zwhaler
macrumors 603
 
Zwhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
It doesn't make more sense... what makes more sense is to get the best version available at the time of your contract expiration regardless of whether or not it's a # or #S version.
__________________
2x2.93 24GB 25TB 2x1TB 840EVO 2x UAD OCTO, Apollo, 4-710d
Check Out My YouTube Channel~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Zwhaler is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Nothlit
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I kind of like sticking with the 'S' versions. You get the benefit of a year's worth of cases, docks, and other accessories already being manufactured for it. If you upgrade to the new form factor as soon as it comes out, you'll be stuck with fewer options for those accessories, having to get by for a few weeks or a few months without them.
Nothlit is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:46 PM   #5
SunnyRenegade33
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to SunnyRenegade33
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Because - from what has been seen so far - the S versions always seem to be incremental, with a faster processor and an improved camera with maybe a new feature, as last years was Siri.

But the reason why I think its easier always going for the main versions is because by the time the next number is released - iPhone 6 in this case- you will be ready up upgrade from your previous 24 month contract. The next numbers tend to always be the bigger upgrades as well.

Anyone else agree with me on this, or share a different opinion? Let me know, I enjoy hearing other point of views : )
Siri was the main reason that I decided to get a 4S. Siri was a pretty big feature that was added on, despite the fact that she was in beta.

I don't update/upgrade phones due to incremental, minuscule changes to things like processing speed, web browsing speed, camera etc. - mainly because my iPhone is only used for talking, texting, brief internet web browsing and application platform (along with iPad 4)

I have a professional Canon camera, so camera/megapixel upgrades aren't that important to me. I own an iPod so large amounts of space isn't terrible important to me on my iPhone, either. Since I have a main desktop (family desktop) and a main laptop (17 inch Gateway) at home, I don't stress too much about processing speed and performance. Again, I think of my iPhone as a phone with computer capabilities - NOT a computer with phone capabilities. Screen size is also not that important to me since I have an iPad 4.
__________________
SunnyRenegade33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:50 PM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Because - from what has been seen so far - the S versions always seem to be incremental, with a faster processor and an improved camera with maybe a new feature, as last years was Siri.
Not always. The jump from original iPhone to 3G added only 3G speed, A-GPS and a new design. In contrast, the 3GS added 8 new features/improvements over the 3G as follows:

Faster processor/more memory
Improved battery life
Better camera, with autofocus and tap to focus
Video
Compass
Oleophobic coating
Voice Control
HSDPA implementation (allows faster download speed)
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 5 S⃣
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:16 PM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwhaler View Post
It doesn't make more sense... what makes more sense is to get the best version available at the time of your contract expiration regardless of whether or not it's a # or #S version.
^ This.

I'm currently using a 4S. Whether I go to a 5 or a 5S it's an upgrade either way. The 5S would be a bigger upgrade (even if only slightly more so).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
But the reason why I think its easier always going for the main versions is because by the time the next number is released - iPhone 6 in this case- you will be ready up upgrade from your previous 24 month contract. The next numbers tend to always be the bigger upgrades as well.
Don't just assume that your situation is universal. Not everyone's contract expires around the launch of a "main version".

How is it easier?
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Nyy8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New England
I see where the OP is coming from, I only upgrade from "Main" versions of the iPhone too.. I had a 4, now a 5, and I don't want the 5S even though I will have an upgrade by that point, since well my A6 is fast enough for me. (I stole my mom's upgrade for the iP5 )
__________________
iPad 2 16GB, iPhone 5S Space Grey 16GB,
iMac 21.5 inch, 2.5 GHz Core i5, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD
Nyy8 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:08 PM   #9
Steevie
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I was doing annual uogrades but after the 4S i decided it wasnt worth it anymore. So i'll be sticking to "main" upgrades as well.
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Alright, lets get our geek-speak straight, we are talking MAJOR REVISIONS.

I have a different opinion. I never buy 2.0, 3.0 etc. I always buy 2.1, 2.2 etc I can't confirm this but I believe a Major Revision GOT to have bugs, and they iron out the kinks with 2.1, 2.2 etc. so yeah you are not getting more exciting, bragging features but, my stupid brain says, I am getting something more stable and optimized.

Not even touching the contract part.
Mrbobb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:06 PM   #11
davidinva
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
Reminds me of the days when lots of people would not buy a new car produced in an odd-numbered year. Only even numbered ones. Idea was that the odd year cars were experimental and it took a year to work the bugs out. Off topic, but random thought occur to me often.
davidinva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Wrong. It makes sense to go with the phone that has a next gen chip in it.

For example, you consider the 4 a "main" iphone, but in reality it used 3GS chips. The 4 was a 3GS with some fingernail polish. Not even a new coat of paint. So the 4 was definitely a bad choice, and was a very small incrememntal upgrade.

Other example: the 3G has the same chips as the original iphone. So that was a bad upgrade too.

The 4S had a next gen chip, and made sense.

The 5 surprised us by also having a next gen chip. The one makes sense too.

If the 5S has the same chips, but has other features, it'll be a bad upgrade. If it has a next gen architechture chip, good deal.

See how easy?
kre62 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:09 AM   #13
RenoG
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
Wrong. It makes sense to go with the phone that has a next gen chip in it.

For example, you consider the 4 a "main" iphone, but in reality it used 3GS chips. The 4 was a 3GS with some fingernail polish. Not even a new coat of paint. So the 4 was definitely a bad choice, and was a very small incrememntal upgrade.

Other example: the 3G has the same chips as the original iphone. So that was a bad upgrade too.

The 4S had a next gen chip, and made sense.

The 5 surprised us by also having a next gen chip. The one makes sense too.

If the 5S has the same chips, but has other features, it'll be a bad upgrade. If it has a next gen architechture chip, good deal.

See how easy?
Yeah if you give a rats crack about chips.. I personally care less about the phone nowa days and more so about the ios. I personally have not yet upgraded my 3yr old contract, not because of the phone itself but because of the lackluster ios6 i.e. youtube and maps.
RenoG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:36 PM   #14
Trius
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenfrey View Post
Because - from what has been seen so far - the S versions always seem to be incremental, with a faster processor and an improved camera with maybe a new feature, as last years was Siri.

But the reason why I think its easier always going for the main versions is because by the time the next number is released - iPhone 6 in this case- you will be ready up upgrade from your previous 24 month contract. The next numbers tend to always be the bigger upgrades as well.

Anyone else agree with me on this, or share a different opinion? Let me know, I enjoy hearing other point of views : )
Not everyone's upgrade falls on the "main" phone revision. I see your point, but I would think the "S" version would be a more logical choice considering a years worth of accessories and bug fixes. Remember Antennagate?
__________________
Get free Bitcoins
Trius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 AM   #15
kre62
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Yeah if you give a rats crack about chips.. I personally care less about the phone nowa days and more so about the ios. I personally have not yet upgraded my 3yr old contract, not because of the phone itself but because of the lackluster ios6 i.e. youtube and maps.
Guess what good chips gets you?

More versions of iOS. Greater lifespan. More future proof.

Think, damn it people, think.
kre62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:50 AM   #16
Mliii
macrumors 65816
 
Mliii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
I understand where you are coming from OP, but my recent situation may give you a different take.
I had the iPhone 3, skipped the 3s and an iPhone 4 and intended to skip the 4s.
But my 4 died a premature death and the only option I had to get the capacity I wanted at the time was to upgrade to the 4s.
I have to say that the speed improvements between the 4 and 4s were notable. Combining that with the added features AND the fact that it seemed some of the original negative issues associated with the 4 were missing from the 4s makes me think I may stick with the 's' version for future iPhones- obviously depending upon features, etc.
__________________
"...and the end of all our searching shall be to return to the place where we first started and know it for the first time" - TS Eliot
Mliii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:27 AM   #17
yinz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
S phones are refined, relatively problem free because of older external hardware.

# phones are old phones in a new coat of paint. Always get the S = )

5S will have scuff problem resolved.. hopefully. If not, buy white.


Quote:
Originally Posted by kre62 View Post
Wrong. It makes sense to go with the phone that has a next gen chip in it.

For example, you consider the 4 a "main" iphone, but in reality it used 3GS chips. The 4 was a 3GS with some fingernail polish. Not even a new coat of paint. So the 4 was definitely a bad choice, and was a very small incrememntal upgrade.

See how easy?
I think it would be hard to agree with you here due to hindsight bias. iPhone 4 had a year and a half run. I think that is well worth buying..
yinz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:00 PM   #18
GalvaJ
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
S Versions

I like the S versions rather than the newly designed originals.

When you redesign something their will be kinks and bugs. For example, the 5 has the scratching problem with the black version. Its possible that they'll fix that in the next revision.

Also, the S versions always bring what I think are larger speed improvements and I'm hopeful for a big upgrade in battery life since iPhone's have been slacking in that area lately.

I have a 4S now and it's harder to resist the 5 not only due to the new design, but because of the larger screen that I would love to have.

I'll be holding out for the next version though.
GalvaJ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:12 PM   #19
Eckscaliber
macrumors 6502a
 
Eckscaliber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
I actually prefer the "S" versions. For the following reasons...

1) Slight design improvements that fix the "main versions" issues.
2) Faster/better internals.
3) By the time the "S" version is released, there will be countless accessory options from launch.

However I do like getting the "main version" due to the design change. It's win, lose, situation.
Eckscaliber is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:14 PM   #20
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvaJ View Post
I'll be holding out for the next version though.
Am with u brotha.

Right now, the Foxconn kids are an unhappy bunch working overtime to ship as many units as they can for the holiday season. They have no time to spend on Quality Control. You are impatience, you want to be the king of block to be the first one to have a 5... u flip the dice.

Me, I wait for 5s.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5C $549 vs 5S $649 - Makes NO SENSE gagaliya iPhone 42 Sep 10, 2013 04:39 PM
After Meeting With Apple CFO, Analyst Believes Lower-Cost iPhone Makes Good Sense MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 90 Mar 6, 2013 12:39 AM
MBPR and this monitor = makes sense freelancer27 Mac Peripherals 1 Feb 3, 2013 08:53 PM
Why a new low budget iPhone makes sense decksnap iPhone 27 Jan 16, 2013 05:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC