Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
2012 Mac Mini. I've got a Apple Thunderbolt Display & Apple LED Cinema Display (mini display port).

I haven't actually tried plugging the MDP into the Thunderbolt Display, but I gather it won't work. There needs to be a Thunderbolt device in-between.

My question is - what can I put in between that will enable the MDP Apple LED Display?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
There are several threads & Apple KB articles that say it won't work.

You're right, it WON'T work. Off the top of my head, you can use the Seagate goflex desktop adapter which is the cheapest and put that in between the TBD and the ACD.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
That was my first though too, but the pictures look like it only has 1 port, so you can't daisy-chain a display off of it.

hutch34

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2012
Florida
The GoFlex adapter only has 1 thunderbolt port, but the Backup Plus adapter has two:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HQCAPQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I'm using this adapter right now and have a mini-displayport to dvi adapter plugged into it for an external monitor. It works out really well so far! The monitor passes through to the adapter and to my computer just fine so that plugging in the Thunderbolt cable attaches both the monitor and the external hard drive in one port.

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Thunderbolt Adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.