Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:40 PM   #76
mantan
macrumors 6502a

I'm sitting this one out to see the feedback. Apple used to be known for putting out rock solid stuff. But after the Maps and Podcast fiasco, I've lost a bit of faith....
mantan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #77
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
I'm sitting this one out to see the feedback. Apple used to be known for putting out rock solid stuff. But after the Maps and Podcast fiasco, I've lost a bit of faith....
Heretic!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:49 PM   #78
gluckett
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Spotify/Pandora like music streaming that this version MAY have. I'm looking forward to this the most. Being able to put in a few artists that I like, make a station, and just stream music all day while at work. Hopefully this won't be excessive in cost.
Why not just use Spotify then? It will pull your local library in as well so you already have the best of both worlds.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMooseMan View Post
Some people seem to be under the assumption these delays would have never happened under Steve.
These people seem to have a very lousy memory.
Do you forget the first version of OS X, and OS X Leopard?
Releasing unfinished software is never a sensible idea; and I'd think this is empathised even more so by the maps debacle.
Sometimes deadlines aren't met, and as frustrating as that is it doesn't mean you should neglect the experience of the product.
Customers were frustrated with the delay of Leopard but I remember the level of excitement when it was released due to the pleasurable experience.
I'd rather wait and be blown away than impatient and experience a buggy piece of crap. As the saying goes "you can't rush art"
Lets hope our patience pays off tomorrow.
Finally, someone gets it. Just because they showed a demo doesn't mean it was anywhere close to ready. If you know where the rocks are, you can walk on water. Like you, I would rather wait than get some buggy piece of junk that trashes my library.
gluckett is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:52 PM   #79
wikus
Banned

There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.
wikus is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #80
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunez is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 shouldn't use that much memory.
What you call bloated, I call feature-rich. I like having all my stuff in one place. I just wish my playlists would sync over iCloud.
slrandall is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:55 PM   #81
Lvivske
macrumors regular

Quote:
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunez is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 shouldn't use that much memory.
how is it too bloated? just dont use those features

i dont use it for anything but music, but i just disable the icons for the stuff i dont use and forget its even there. the app itself runs smooth so i dont see the 'bloat' complaint.
Lvivske is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:55 PM   #82
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdlovr24 View Post
You can sync playlist across devices with iTunes Match. Works great for me.
A ha! That's why it worked for me. iTunes Match is totally worth $2.00 a month for the convenience of having my music and playlists in sync across all my iOS devices and my laptop.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #83
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slrandall View Post
What you call bloated, I call feature-rich. I like having all my stuff in one place. I just wish my playlists would sync over iCloud.
then it should be called iMedia. the itunes name is misleading.

its still bloated with all the crap that apples put into it.
wikus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:56 PM   #84
yearofthe
macrumors regular

finally, people will stop b******g already for this..
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:04 PM   #85
slrandall
macrumors 6502

Quote:
then it should be called iMedia. the itunes name is misleading.

its still bloated with all the crap that apples put into it.
It's called iTunes because you don't just throw away a brand name.

And bloat usually implies some sort of slowness. I won't deny that there's definitely "bloat" on Windows, but I (not comprehensive!) have never experienced any slowness. I think I have a pretty big library too, so that's something.
slrandall is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:07 PM   #86
Worf
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdlovr24 View Post
You can sync playlist across devices with iTunes Match. Works great for me.
Hmm I'm wondering why a lot of people are ignorant over features that are already provided presently by Apple via iTunes Match. It's not like it's hidden from the current iTunes version ...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantan View Post
After a month delay Apple has no excuse for the new redesigned iTunes not to be good. I'm sure many people won't be sitting it out long though considering how good the screenshots look.
Worf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:08 PM   #87
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaktor5 View Post
I think you mean 10.6.8 or later.

It's not like iTunes 10.7 still suddenly stop working on older machines, I highly doubt Snow Leopard will be supported. Lion or later, me thinks.
The only reason they would push it to Lion is if access to iCloud was mandatory for something and I doubt they are ready to go that far. Add iCloud using features sure, but not force them on folks. Maybe when we get up to something like iTunes 13.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:09 PM   #88
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library. iTunes is way too bloated and there are many people that don't need and will never use the ipod, ipad, iphone connectivity, the app store, music store, etc. I have no iDevices and don't need the extra junk that comes with iTunes.

also, itunes is really bad at handling libraries with over 200gb of music. it becomes a memory and cpu hog, sometimes hitting 200mb of ram... a simple mp3 player shouldn't use that much memory.
No offense, but Apple doesn't (and shouldn't) care how usable, bloated, offensive, boring, or whatever else iTunes is to you if you don't use an iOS device. It was designed and intended to support coordination between your music library and iPod.
rdlink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:11 PM   #89
mp0890
macrumors regular

Obviously it's as early as Thursday, coud it possibly come any earlier? This article was posted Wednesday night.
mp0890 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:11 PM   #90
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
There needs to be an iTunes light version for those of us who just need to play mp3s from a library.
That would essentially require them to develop and maintain two separate (Windows and Mac versions) apps would basically be labeled as crippled. A program that already is basically rarely updated as it is. I don't see Apple doing this at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0890 View Post
Obviously it's as early as Thursday, coud it possibly come any earlier? This article was posted Wednesday night.
Given that Apple is closed right now I would say no - they tend to release things during business hours - Cupertino business hours.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:13 PM   #91
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbie View Post
Since Apple has been about simplifying (thatís both good and bad), what do you think will be dropped from the new iTunes?
Probably nothing.

If they were really smart they would totally revamp the Mac version into several parts.

1. The store. Either it's own app or into the Mac App Store one
2. Merge with DVD player and have a player app, this app would also be your media browser for making playlists
3. iSync 'app' which would work by mounting iPhones etc on the desk top and you double click to see the sync choices, import to desktop/iPhoto, etc.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:13 PM   #92
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEnvy View Post
I hope the delay is time spent polishing it..
I sure hope they've sorted it out.

Just the thought of a new rev makes me uneasy.

It didn't used to be like that, but lately Apples on a tear.

Faster... more products, more headlines, more negative toxic energy on legal assaults, grab more profits, push Foxconn harder, leak more rumors, push push push push push... YIKES
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 PM   #93
rdlink
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
A ha! That's why it worked for me. iTunes Match is totally worth $2.00 a month for the convenience of having my music and playlists in sync across all my iOS devices and my laptop.
$2.08 per month, actually.

Seriously, why wouldn't someone with a decent sized iTunes library buy iTunes Match for at least one year, if only to get 128K songs upgraded to 256K, and to get licensed versions of any pirated songs in their library (Yes, we all have at least some).
rdlink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 PM   #94
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

Will it fix all the errors on windows ?

HAAAAAA ha haha ha ha.........

iTunes is the #1 Windows Maleware
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:14 PM   #95
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMcGuire View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the Spotify/Pandora like music streaming that this version MAY have. I'm looking forward to this the most. Being able to put in a few artists that I like, make a station, and just stream music all day while at work. Hopefully this won't be excessive in cost.
Total rumor with zero backing. Frankly I doubt it is happening at this point. The best we might get is a return of lala.com's features, perhaps working as part of iTunes Match
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:16 PM   #96
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0890 View Post
Obviously it's as early as Thursday, coud it possibly come any earlier?
Oh please, who cares. It may be buggy anyway.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:18 PM   #97
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Again, why would Apple complicate things by developing several different apps that they have to develop and maintain for two platforms? iTunes has to be equal on both platforms. There isn't a App store for Windows (and it would be useless given that Apple doesn't sell Windows software) and they don't have DVD player either - an app that on OSX is a core OS app as well.

Finally, they already had an iSync app - there is a reason that they integrated the function into iTunes and depreciated the iSync program.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #98
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
I'm looking forward to Ping being removed
In a way I'm not. I felt like it had potential they just didn't go far enough. They should have opened it up to all artists, TV shows, movies, books. On the music side brought in the features from lala.com. They could have eventually moved it into the web with the iCloud shared photo streams etc. perhaps even created a kind of homepage instant website function where folks would have their journals, streams, reviews, shared playlists even twitter and Facebook statuses as 'widgets'

But instead they basically stopped before it got started
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #99
Rumple
macrumors member

No thanks I will keep the current itunes.
Rumple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:23 PM   #100
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

iTunes 11 was actually what I was most excited for in the keynote.. Really hope it's available in the coming days..

Also would love to see updated Bootcamp drivers for Windows 8.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion