Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Ordered an iPad for my GF for Christmas. Had it shipped to my condo (we have a 24hr person at front desk, tight security and its one of the nicest places to live in the city). Well it was shipped and signed for on the 26th...went to pick it up today and its missing from the locked package room. The manager said he will do his best to find it but its not their responsibility. He was VERY rude and seems completely unconcerned and almost put out over it. Said "I don't have some lost iPad fund where I can just give you $400". From what I understand legally they are responsible until I sign for it. Anyway looks like I'm out an iPad for Christmas, even if I get them to pay it will take weeks/months. AND apple is out of iPad 3s, so I'm even more up the creek.

My question is...is there anyway I can track the location of the iPad using the serial number? This really has me bummed out :(

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Sorry about that, tough loss. I'm not surprised that it was stolen.

The iPad is long gone and there's nothing that can be done about it.

S

syd430

Actually, the sender is liable until you sign for it. Your first option is to take it up with the post office, but if they can't do anything about it then the sender is completely liable to refund you or offer a replacement. I live in Australia but I believe there is a similar law in the US.

The issue comes up a lot because a lot sellers, especially on ebay, think they can say "we aren't liable if it get's lost in the mail, if you choose not to buy insurance", without actually realising that the insurance is to protect the SELLER and not the buyer. Seller, in this case Apple, is liable until goods are delivered, insured or not.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Actually, the sender is liable until you sign for it. Your first option is to take it up with the post office, but they can't do anything about it then the sender is completely liable to refund you or offer a replacement. I live in Australia but I believe their is a similar law in the US.

The issue comes up a lot because a lot sellers think they can say "we aren't liable, if it get's lost in the mail if you don't have insurance", without actually realising that the insurance is to protect the seller and not the buyer. Seller, in this case Apple, is liable until goods are delivered, insurance or not.

The person at the front desk of where I live signed for it. So I believe my apartment is liable because it was under their responsibility until I sign and take possession from them. The manager is saying they provide a courtesy service to sign and hold our packages so he is not responsible. That is total BS...

S

syd430

The person at the front desk of where I live signed for it. So I believe my apartment is liable because it was under their responsibility until I sign and take possession from them. The manager is saying they provide a courtesy service to sign and hold our packages so he is not responsible. That is total BS...

I see. Looks like you might have to take it to a small claims court if they still don't budge.

I still wouldn't completely discount the possibility that Apple is liable however, because YOU or someone that lives with you did not sign off for it., the building did. It might hold true that Apple themselves need to seek compensation from the Building manager as technically it was not delivered to the buyer or someone that lives with the buyer, which is what the law covers.

Edit: to add, it doesn't matter what stage it is in the delivery process, the seller is always liable until the buyer or someone living with you receives the goods. The building manager is just another third-party no different to the postal service. Apple would be liable no matter how many third-parties come between you and your goods.

Last edited by a moderator:

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
I see. Looks like you might have to take it to a small claims court if they still don't budge.

I still wouldn't completely discount the possibility that Apple is liable however, because YOU or someone that lives with you did not sign off for it., the building did. It might hold true that Apple themselves need to seek compensation from the Building manager as technically it was not delivered to the buyer or someone that lives with the buyer, which is what the law covers.

You might have a point! I'll look into it tomorrow :) thanks!

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
By choosing to sign for and take delivery of your package instead of having UPS try and deliver it directly to your apartment wouldn't they be accepting responsibility for the package? If they didn't want responsibility then they should just let delivery people attempt delivery directly to the apartment.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Sorry to hear.

Fed ex and UPS both leave packages at my city row home doorstep. Once there was a note from UPS that said "I left it with you neighbor" (no address or description of which neighbor... I just guessed).

I've tried a few times to reason with these companies and get a bunch of "... Huh? I dunno"s before I lose my patience and just say "it better be there when I get home from work"

It always has been, bless my neighborhood.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
The front desk / building mgmt should be held liable for your lost package. The person who signed for your package needs to be questioned. Surely there is video surveillance? I'd be livid if my package went missing due to someone else's carelessness.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
Does your condo lobby have security cameras? Might be interesting to find out what exactly happened after your package was signed by the rep behind the counter...

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Does your condo lobby have security cameras? Might be interesting to find out what exactly happened after your package was signed by the rep behind the counter...

It does, the building is covered in cameras. My concern is the managers attitude toward helping me...he seemed put out and flat out rude. So my hopes of having access to those cameras is dashed. If he was concerned and helpful I'd have a different attitude about this whole thing. It's almost like he knows something about it, I dunno :(

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Is that the manager of the whole apartment building or just the front desk? Is there anyone higher up at the apartment you can contact? The owner? The building is DEFINITELY liable as they took the responsibility to sign for it

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
It does, the building is covered in cameras. My concern is the managers attitude toward helping me...he seemed put out and flat out rude. So my hopes of having access to those cameras is dashed. If he was concerned and helpful I'd have a different attitude about this whole thing. It's almost like he knows something about it, I dunno :(

Ultimately your manger is just an employee, and his attitude raises questions, in my mind. How does a package disappear from a locked room? Who exactly has the keys for that room? If that package is in your managers hands, his attitude may make a lot more sense....

You might want to contact your credit card company as well and file a claim with them. I'd also contact Apple and let them know what happen as well. They will have access to the serial number, and by that access to justs who's account it get activated with....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ultimately your manger is just an employee, and his attitude raises questions, in my mind. How does a package disappear from a locked room? Who exactly has the keys for that room? If that package is in your managers hands, his attitude may make a lot more sense....

You might want to contact your credit card company as well and file a claim with them. I'd also contact Apple and let them know what happen as well. They will have access to the serial number, and by that access to justs who's account it get activated with....
Excellent advice! Call the police file a report. Then call Apple let them know YOU did not sign for the package and give them the police report number. Next call UPS tell them YOU did not sign for the package and WHERE is it? Tell UPS you have filed a police report and give them the police report number. Next contact you building or property manager. Tell him you filed a police report and ask him WHO signed for the package addressed to you. Then ask him for a copy of the video for the camera where the package was stored. Then ask him for the company name for the the corporation that owns/runs the building. Tell him you want to file a FORMAL complaint with THEM as well. Do not let him attitude stop you. He works for YOU! You pay rent to live in a very nice building with added security. He cannot treat you rudely....he has people he has to answer to for his actions....if he won't help then go to his boss and so forth. Don't be a push over for these people....you have rights. But don't be an a@@hole either. But YOU have lost money.....so take action and get the police involved. The longer you wait the harder things get....

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Excellent advice! Call the police file a report. Then call Apple let them know YOU did not sign for the package and give them the police report number. Next call UPS tell them YOU did not sign for the package and WHERE is it? Tell UPS you have filed a police report and give them the police report number. Next contact you building or property manager. Tell him you filed a police report and ask him WHO signed for the package addressed to you. Then ask him for a copy of the video for the camera where the package was stored. Then ask him for the company name for the the corporation that owns/runs the building. Tell him you want to file a FORMAL complaint with THEM as well. Do not let him attitude stop you. He works for YOU! You pay rent to live in a very nice building with added security. He cannot treat you rudely....he has people he has to answer to for his actions....if he won't help then go to his boss and so forth. Don't be a push over for these people....you have rights. But don't be an a@@hole either. But YOU have lost money.....so take action and get the police involved. The longer you wait the harder things get....

The above is the best advice to follow. The police should have been called immediately. If the OP has not done so yet, do it now.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Once the apartment or condo complex office accepts the package on your behalf, they are responsible until you actually pick up the package. If they weren't then why would they even have the so-called locked room for such packages. If they don't want to assume that liability then they should not be accepting the packages.

My apartment complex once accepted a package for me and when I went to get it it was missing. All I had to do was show the order paperwork and the FedEx tracking info. They then purchased a new item for me and had it delivered paying extra for the next day delivery. I had the replacement the next day

a few days later, after they investigated it further and found the original "lost" item they even got that to me. In the end I got two of the items ordered.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
file a police report immediately

the fedex tracking record should show exactly who signed for the package. give that to the police too

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
Ask the manager when he'll be around to meet with police. Give him a few hours to stew in that juice and see what develops. Might just "show up" out of nowhere.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I would definitely keep pressuring the manager that you spoke to. Let him know that you will be contacting the police, an attorney, etc.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The above is the best advice to follow. The police should have been called immediately. If the OP has not done so yet, do it now.

Ditto, I hope you get it back, don't give up, don't stand for a rude manager....does his attitude imply HE stole it? Perhaps......good luck!

JH19059

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
As a cop for over 15 yrs here's my advice. Get a police report, notify your credit card company, notify apple that the package was signed for by an unauthorized person, notify the delivery company and file a complaint stating the package was left with an unauthorized person. If I were investigating this, the manager would be sitting in handcuffs based on the information you've giving. His or attitude is a little suspect considering it was left not only in their possession but also in a locked storage facility which I assume only a few would have access to. Follow the steps I've laid out for you and you WILL be reimbursed. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.