Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zodiaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Belgium
hey,

ive been playing with 10.8 server for a while now but now i wanted to upload a site to my server but i don't seem to have a server folder in my library,webserver is active in the server.app. any ideas how to solve this?
thanks in advance
kind regards.

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
In Mountain Lion, all the server related Library files are actually in a separate library inside the Server.app itself, so it'll likely be in there. To get to it, right click on Server.app, go to 'Show Package Contents' and it'll be in there under ServerRoot :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
In Mountain Lion, all the server related Library files are actually in a separate library inside the Server.app itself, so it'll likely be in there. To get to it, right click on Server.app, go to 'Show Package Contents' and it'll be in there under ServerRoot :)

Seriously? I still have 10.7 and was thinking of upgrading... Too many unhappy stories so far though.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: uploading web pages to your server...

Hi all,

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things, so bear with me please.

Using the Mac OS X Server (10.8.x), when you start the web service from the Server.app then the default web site's page is in the directory:

/Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default

although you can change this if you wish. (Note that this is not in the user's ~/Library/... . The default system web site would only be in a user's directory if you changed the default settings to do so.) You can also arrange any subdirectories under this Default directory (and the index.html with links to point to them) for additional system web pages, as you please.

Let's say your machine's name is "mymachine.private". Then if you point a web browser at "mymachine.private" it will read the default page from the above directory.

At the same time, if you wish for each user to have an individual web page, then the user creates a directory, ~/Sites, and puts his/her own personal web pages in this directory (once again subdirectories are allowed). Say the user creates a podcast web page in the Test/Podcasts subdirectory (~/Sites/Test/Podcasts/), and let's say the user's account name is "username". Then if you point a web browser at "mymachine.private/~username/Test/Podcasts/Podcast.html", the browser will load username's podcast web page.

Lastly, if you also turn ON the Wiki server, then the wiki databases are stored in the directory and its subdirectories:

/Library/Server/Wiki

and if you point your web browser to "mymachine.private/wiki" it will load the index page for the wikis that you or your other users have created on "mymachine.private".

So, in summary, by starting the web and wiki services, you have access to three different types of web/wiki pages served from your computer: the system-wide web pages from your server (mymachine.private), the individual web pages created by each user (mymachine.private/~username), and all of the system-wide wikis created by whomever you give permission to create and view (mymachine.private/wiki).

Regards,
Switon

P.S. Of course, directory/file permissions and access permissions setup in the wiki service pane and in the settings of each individual wiki are important for specifying who has access and what type of access they have (read/write/none). Wikis can be either public so anyone can view them, or private so that only those you give permission to can view them.

Last edited:

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Seriously? I still have 10.7 and was thinking of upgrading... Too many unhappy stories so far though.

I can see why they've done it. The Server part now doesn't take over the machine, so you can turn it back into a normal Mac OS X installation quite easily. It was annoying at first, but to me it makes at least some kind of sense.

mlangebln

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
Hi,

thanks a lot for this good explanation. But my server 10.8. isn't working like this

So, in summary, by starting the web and wiki services, you have access to three different types of web/wiki pages served from your computer: the system-wide web pages from your server (mymachine.private), the individual web pages created by each user (mymachine.private/~username), and all of the system-wide wikis created by whomever you give permission to create and view (mymachine.private/wiki).

If I activate Websites and Wiki, I am always redirected to my machine.private/wiki and can't access the serverwebsite.

other problem: i can't access userpages with mymachine.private/~username/test/ (with permissions set to Read for everyone).

Can you help me?

Thanks.

Michael

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: user web pages...

If I activate Websites and Wiki, I am always redirected to my machine.private/wiki and can't access the serverwebsite.

other problem: i can't access userpages with mymachine.private/~username/test/ (with permissions set to Read for everyone).

Hi Michael,

Yes, my instructions from the above post assume you have a local DNS server running that translates "mymachine.private" into the appropriate local IP address of your machine. If you are not running your own local DNS server, then you will have to use the IP address.

Let's start piecemeal, so first turn off the Websites and Wiki switches in the Server.app.

Using Server.app, in the Websites pane, make sure the Server Website is setup properly: /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default . Then when you turn on the ON switch, there should be a "View Server Website->" button active. Click on this button. Does it not open your "Welcome to Server" web page on "mymachine.private"? If it doesn't, then perhaps your server setup does not include a local DNS? Do you have a local DNS server that interprets "mymachine.private" to give your computer's local IP address? If not, then let's say the assigned IP address for your computer is 192.168.1.25. In the address bar of Safari, enter the URL "http://192.168.1.25"; this should open your "Welcome to Server" web page. Once you see the "Welcome to Server" default web page, then you can add your own "index.html" in the /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default directory to link to your machine's own web pages.

Let's next switch on the Wiki service. Setup the Wiki Creators so that at least you can create wikis. If you wish iOS devices to have access to your wikis, then check the WebDAV box. Turn on the ON switch, and a "View Wiki->" button should appear. Clicking on this button should take you to the "mymachine.private/wiki" default Wiki web site. Loggin in to this site then allows you to create a new wiki. If this did not work, then try visiting "http://192.168.1.25/wiki" in your Safari browser where obviously you substitute the local IP address of your computer for 192.168.1.25.

For the user's private web pages, you have to create the /Users/username/Sites directory where "username" is obvious your own short username, the Test directory is then a subdirectory of this one: /Users/username/Sites/Test . Say you create an "index.html" in this Test subdirectory: /Users/username/Sites/Test/index.html . Then if you point your Safari browser to "mymachine.private/~username/Test/index.html" it should read username's index.html web page. (Notice that you don't include the Sites directory name in this URL.) Of course, if you aren't running a local DNS, then you will have to use "http://192.168.1.25/~username/Test/index.html" where you substitute the proper IP address for 192.168.1.25. If you setup an "index.html" in your /Users/username/Sites directory to point to your /Users/username/Sites/Test/index.html file, then simply visiting "mymachine.private/~username" will load your /Users/username/Sites/Test/index.html web page.

Good luck and hope this helps,
Switon

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.