Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
I've been having trouble with my IP5 battery, so was told to try and restore it from battery and then charge for as long as possible, then leave it all night and check the battery, apparently it should've barely gone down. I went to sleep at 3am, and woke up at 8am, and within that time the battery fell by 21% - is that normal? To me that seems like a lot considering it was not even being used.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I've been having trouble with my IP5 battery, so was told to try and restore it from battery and then charge for as long as possible, then leave it all night and check the battery, apparently it should've barely gone down. I went to sleep at 3am, and woke up at 8am, and within that time the battery fell by 21% - is that normal? To me that seems like a lot considering it was not even being used.

When I first got my iPhone 5 my battery would not last me more than a few hours with little use. So I restored it through iTunes as a new phone, I turned off all the location and notification services that are really not needed. Make sure you check, because even though some apps are not in the notification center they may still have badge icons and stuff enabled. I took care of all of that, and I would let my phone run down as low as possible before charging it again, and everytime I charge it I make sure it stays on the charger untill it hits 100%. Unless I have to I never unplug it beofore 100%. Then I just kept waiting to charge it untill it got low, I usually try to wait untill it gets to 20% or below, also about once a month I'll let it go untill the battery dies and the phone shuts off by itself. My mail is set to fetch every hour and I always un-multi task my apps when I'm done using them too. Also If you use the slide down notification center a lot I disabled the location service for that, where it finds my current location everytime I slide it down to find the weather, I just set the weather to my town. I gotta tell you after I did all that no joke my battery is incredible! It will last me over 24 hours and I do actually use it to. I use facebook and words with friends and all that great stuff. I know that seems like a lot, but hey why not right? I really hope those tips helped you, if you decide to give it a shot please let me know how you made out!

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
When I first got my iPhone 5 my battery would not last me more than a few hours with little use. So I restored it through iTunes as a new phone, I turned off all the location and notification services that are really not needed. Make sure you check, because even though some apps are not in the notification center they may still have badge icons and stuff enabled. I took care of all of that, and I would let my phone run down as low as possible before charging it again, and everytime I charge it I make sure it stays on the charger untill it hits 100%. Unless I have to I never unplug it beofore 100%. Then I just kept waiting to charge it untill it got low, I usually try to wait untill it gets to 20% or below, also about once a month I'll let it go untill the battery dies and the phone shuts off by itself. My mail is set to fetch every hour and I always un-multi task my apps when I'm done using them too. Also If you use the slide down notification center a lot I disabled the location service for that, where it finds my current location everytime I slide it down to find the weather, I just set the weather to my town. I gotta tell you after I did all that no joke my battery is incredible! It will last me over 24 hours and I do actually use it to. I use facebook and words with friends and all that great stuff. I know that seems like a lot, but hey why not right? I really hope those tips helped you, if you decide to give it a shot please let me know how you made out!

I've turned off location and notification services, and I've turned off cellar data. I've already let the battery drain several times. My mail is on manual at the moment.

The battery still seems just.. it doesn't feel right.

I'm so worried they won't replace it though.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
I've turned off location and notification services, and I've turned off cellar data. I've already let the battery drain several times. My mail is on manual at the moment.

The battery still seems just.. it doesn't feel right.

I'm so worried they won't replace it though.

Wow I didn't realize you already did that. Yea there probably is something wrong. When I had my problem and my friend Rocco and my sister had the same problem too, we could literally sit there and watch our battery % drop right before our eyes while nothing was going on. I called Apple and they of course gave me the run around. They just gave me battery tips. Good luck though, there nothing worse then having a phone you really like and can't use.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Wow I didn't realize you already did that. Yea there probably is something wrong. When I had my problem and my friend Rocco and my sister had the same problem too, we could literally sit there and watch our battery % drop right before our eyes while nothing was going on. I called Apple and they of course gave me the run around. They just gave me battery tips. Good luck though, there nothing worse then having a phone you really like and can't use.

Thanks - I've turned off some other things and the battery is a little better but I'm still not happy. Combined with this there is a tapping sound in the back and I just don't feel 100% happy with this.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
mine did that too.i charged my iphone tuesday to 100%. i havent activated my iphone 5 with verizon yet. so i'm still using iphone 4.

but my battery life went from 100% to 82% in a span of 14 hours on standby. and i didnt even use it or turn it on.

below is the screenshot i took of what my battery life is now. it says i used 3 hours 29 minutes of usage. thats not accurate, i barely used it and perhaps played with it only 10 minutes of casual web browsing.

just to give you an idea, my iphone 4 charged at 100% only went down 4-6% in that time span of 14 hours with casual web browsing, checking emails, facebook.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    105.9 KB · Views: 49

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If I disable WIFI and mobile data, my phone doesn't drop a single % overnight usually. Most it does it maybe 1 or 2.

With cell / wifi enabled though, anything can happen but on average it's 5%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.